Habs acquire Nokelainen, Stafford from Phoenix for Trotter & 7th rounder

Commandant

If you're worried about top-down, then you'll be happy to know this deal freed up some cap space so that perhaps a more impact player can be brought in at some point. I haven't done the full numbers yet but with the trade and demotions, Montreal's cap space went from ~750k to ~1.3 mil.

Okay, now I've done the full numbers, they're available in the capsheet.

The only issue I have with this whole thing is that Gautier is so conservative, that he let his best 4th line centre in years get away. Dominic Moore is the kind of player that you want on your team. He is versatile, fast, plays well defensively and can step up to cover injuries. We complain about the one that got away a lot on here, but to me Moore was a no brainer. Even Metro would be nice to have over Enqvist. Metro would have probably signed back in a heart beat. No loss of prospect.

The only issue I have with this whole thing is that Gautier is so conservative, that he let his best 4th line centre in years get away. Dominic Moore is the kind of player that you want on your team. He is versatile, fast, plays well defensively and can step up to cover injuries. We complain about the one that got away a lot on here, but to me Moore was a no brainer. Even Metro would be nice to have over Enqvist. Metro would have probably signed back in a heart beat. No loss of prospect.

On the other hand, how do you know when your prospects are ready and what they can do if you keep signing old vets to hold their spots ?

You have to face the reality created by the implementation of the salary cap. I mean, each season all the teams have to make room to accomodate their core players. At the end of the season, Gauthier (if he is still there) will have to decide if he keeps guys like Gill, Spacek, Gomez, AK46, Gorges, etc. He won't have much choice, but will have to sign Price and Subban to long and lucrative contracts. As a result, newcomers will join the team for next season. That's in Montreal, but it's the same everywhere.

better move than it looks.

Blunden was good in preseason and is tough.

Peteri has some "upside" which we can't say about Engqvist.

Those two together means that we can "match" the opposition 4th line for some seconds (and not lose blatantly at the puck drop and have to run away to the bench right away)

cause seriously, it might look "not a big deal"... but we were totally outmatched when it came to 4th line on Saturday. So if we start by this, well, it's at least a "start"...

next move, JACQUES MARTIN STOP BEING STUPID YOU STUPID!

Engqvist will be fine. It is highly irregular for somebody to spend a year in the AHL fresh from Europe and be able to be inserted in an NHL line-up. It says volumes about his ability to be considered as the first option after the Betts disaster. The recent streak by our beloved Canadiens should be associated with the regulars who are playing like Dogs, not the fourth liner who was called up by default.

better move than it looks.

Blunden was good in preseason and is tough.

Peteri has some "upside" which we can't say about Engqvist.

Those two together means that we can "match" the opposition 4th line for some seconds (and not lose blatantly at the puck drop and have to run away to the bench right away)

cause seriously, it might look "not a big deal"... but we were totally outmatched when it came to 4th line on Saturday. So if we start by this, well, it's at least a "start"...

next move, JACQUES MARTIN STOP BEING STUPID YOU STUPID!

You're right. Blunden looked good during the camp. He has size, some experience and ability. He should be fine on the 4th line. The Finish guy as well. Don't forget that he was a 1st round pick. He is still young at 25 and might have some upside. We definitely have a better 4th line.

I think Blunden is going to be a great 4th liner in Montreal because he brings a different package. I just hope he wants to stick up for these guys and make his presence felt.

As for the trade.... smoke and mirrors

I think Blunden is going to be a great 4th liner in Montreal because he brings a different package.

A different package... which, based on recent history, we'll only see for about 5 minutes a game because Martin fears using anyone who makes a mistake. Unless that person is Gomez, or, indeed, any other veteran who is not named 'Cole' who will get their standard ice time.

A different package... which, based on recent history, we'll only see for about 5 minutes a game because Martin fears using anyone who makes a mistake. Unless that person is Gomez, or, indeed, any other veteran who is not named 'Cole' who will get their standard ice time.

Sad that your probably right. Im sure you hope you are wrong and Blunden gets some great minutes tonight and really can hammer some of the flyers.

Sad that your probably right. Im sure you hope you are wrong and Blunden gets some great minutes tonight and really can hammer some of the flyers.

Blunden had 6:25 of ice time against Philly. That doesn't please me at all. On the other hand, no one else was below 10 minutes (Darche and Noke were just over). So, let's hope I'm wrong, that Martin will keep working Blunden in, and eventually all three play 10+ per game (as needed). Then we're rolling four.

People get stuck with the status quo. They fall into ruts and forget what they used to do to address these issues. With Pearn fired, maybe Martin can find his Mojo again. Here's hoping.

Nokelainen is definitely a plus compared to Engqvist. More mature player, a presence on the ice, fast and physical. At 25 and given the fact that he was a first-rounder, he might still not have reached his full potential.

Blunden had 6:25 of ice time against Philly. That doesn't please me at all. On the other hand, no one else was below 10 minutes (Darche and Noke were just over). So, let's hope I'm wrong, that Martin will keep working Blunden in, and eventually all three play 10+ per game (as needed). Then we're rolling four.

People get stuck with the status quo. They fall into ruts and forget what they used to do to address these issues. With Pearn fired, maybe Martin can find his Mojo again. Here's hoping.

I enjoy reading some positivity in your posts.

Martin ma be motivated to find his mojo and maybe even make some changes to his style, if PG did indeed fire Pearn than maybe he is feeling the pressure.

Nokelainen is definitely a plus compared to Engqvist. More mature player, a presence on the ice, fast and physical. At 25 and given the fact that he was a first-rounder, he might still not have reached his full potential.

I fear with his kneee injury he lost a step or two and his speed was why he was a 1st rounder.

i liked how Nokelanien took control in the dieing secondsof the game (with the faceoffs in our own end), he was yelling at Blunden and Gionta to make sure they cover the right guys before he took the faceoffs. shows some experience and awarness of who he is playing with.

i liked how Nokelanien took control in the dieing secondsof the game (with the faceoffs in our own end), he was yelling at Blunden and Gionta to make sure they cover the right guys before he took the faceoffs. shows some experience and awarness of who he is playing with.

I saw that too. Engqvist was too young and did not have the confidence to do that. Nokelainen knows his role and take it seriously; he is focused and doesn't shy from the rough play. So far, from what I have seen, I like him a lot.

As for Blunden, he's the definition of replacement level. I'm not sweating his minutes, he shouldn't see any special teams time and can only hold his own as a physical presence against other team's bottom lines/D pairs. He'll be out of the lineup when Gomez comes back, and back in the AHL if/when White comes back. I think Martin will roll four lines as soon as Blunden is out of the lineup (especially at home with last change), but he's obviously more focused on running 3 lines for match-up purposes.

Nokelainen has some other skills that make him used in more situations, much like Darche. I expect we'll see Nokia get around 10-12 minutes a game, same with Darche, as long as both are on the 4th line at ES.

As for Blunden, he's the definition of replacement level. I'm not sweating his minutes, he shouldn't see any special teams time and can only hold his own as a physical presence against other team's bottom lines/D pairs. He'll be out of the lineup when Gomez comes back, and back in the AHL if/when White comes back. I think Martin will roll four lines as soon as Blunden is out of the lineup (especially at home with last change), but he's obviously more focused on running 3 lines for match-up purposes.

Nokelainen has some other skills that make him used in more situations, much like Darche. I expect we'll see Nokia get around 10-12 minutes a game, same with Darche, as long as both are on the 4th line at ES.

Despite all we can say about him, Gomez is still a big plus compared to Blunden. And I also believe that White will find a way to contribute when he will be back. His enthusiasm, commitment to his teamates, is of big value.

All in all, I would say that we had some very positive developments this week. If Markov can make it in the line-up before the end of November, we might surprise a lot of Habs Haters.

There is one thing I hope and haven't seen yet however: it's execution. We need better execution offensively. Better passes, better shots. I still believe that we have enough talent among our forwards, but the confidence is not there. If we can win a few more games, keep it simple in our zone, we might reach another level. That will be interesting to watch, but first of all, we need another win tomorrow night.

Despite all we can say about him, Gomez is still a big plus compared to Blunden. And I also believe that White will find a way to contribute when he will be back. His enthusiasm, commitment to his teamates, is of big value.

All in all, I would say that we had some very positive developments this week. If Markov can make it in the line-up before the end of November, we might surprise a lot of Habs Haters.

There is one thing I hope and haven't seen yet however: it's execution. We need better execution offensively. Better passes, better shots. I still believe that we have enough talent among our forwards, but the confidence is not there. If we can win a few more games, keep it simple in our zone, we might reach another level. That will be interesting to watch, but first of all, we need another win tomorrow night.

IMHO, all the positives come as a result of a culture change. No way to prove that, of course, and it's still early days under the "new regime" (in other words, with no Pearn behind the bench), but it's hard to argue the increased passion out there. Now, you can argue that it's hard for a player not to show passion when they're playing Boston and, to a lesser extent Philly, however we didn't show a lick of passion against the Buds. We were out truculenced (as a writer, I'm calling artistic licence in word creation) against one of our top two rivals.