Barch suspended one game for "slur" against Subban

Commandant

Barch is saying that his comment was not racially motivated.

Apparently his comment was "Did you just slip on a banana peel?"

I don't buy it. After the Wayne Simmonds incident, and the huge press uproar it created, how could Barch possibly not know that using a comment related to a banana and PK Subban wouldn't be seen as racist?

What a joke that the league bought his explanation and made the suspension short.

Barch is saying that his comment was not racially motivated.

Apparently his comment was "Did you just slip on a banana peel?"

I don't buy it. After the Wayne Simmonds incident, and the huge press uproar it created, how could Barch possibly not know that using a comment related to a banana and PK Subban wouldn't be seen as racist?

What a joke that the league bought his explanation and made the suspension short.

Is that what was actually said? i haven't heard anyone actually mention then words?

I joke about slipping on a banana peel sometimes. think it's funny. Subban has a rep for diving and he does fall a lot. I believe him. I could see myself saying this to one of my black friends and not thinking about race. I believe him.

Remember when MaxPac had to apologize for a tweet about the length of Marchand's nose? :rolleyes:

This Barch thing could go either way. 1 game covers the base without being over the top about it.

I don't think it was just "Did you just slip on a banana peel?" That seems way too minor to warrant anything. A slew foot is $2,500 fine without anything else and "Did you just slip on a banana peel?" is a game? Me thinks there was more said, but I don't see how any on-ice slur can be punished off-ice. What happened to keeping what happens on the ice, on the ice? Looking like the NHL is trying to turn into a gentlemen's league.

I don't think it was just "Did you just slip on a banana peel?" That seems way too minor to warrant anything. A slew foot is $2,500 fine without anything else and "Did you just slip on a banana peel?" is a game? Me thinks there was more said, but I don't see how any on-ice slur can be punished off-ice. What happened to keeping what happens on the ice, on the ice? Looking like the NHL is trying to turn into a gentlemen's league.

Though this isn't racist I think if someone actually did say something racist or something of that nature they should miss time or get fined or both. Makes sense to me. Though if it was just that banana line thats pretty lame :/

I just think after Simmonds he knew exactly what he was saying with the banana line, specifically targetted at Subban to get a reaction.

The typical hockey line is tripping over the blueline, or tripping over the redline... not a banana peel

I just think after Simmonds he knew exactly what he was saying with the banana line, specifically targetted at Subban to get a reaction.

The typical hockey line is tripping over the blueline, or tripping over the redline... not a banana peel

Maybe he also added monkey to the end of that sentence.... who knows? well Suban does

The context came out on cbc.. Barch had quit on a fight with Boogard and Boogard asked him if he slipped on a banana peel. Barch used the line on Stortini before, because he thought it was funny. No way should this have been a suspension.

The context came out on cbc.. Barch had quit on a fight with Boogard and Boogard asked him if he slipped on a banana peel. Barch used the line on Stortini before, because he thought it was funny. No way should this have been a suspension.

League looks pretty dumb now

League looks pretty dumb now

They had to give him a game. After the banana throwing incident with Wayne Simmonds, anything that could even be perceived as racist is going to get punished.

That's why the NHL released a statement basically saying, "We don't think what he said was racist, but he's getting a game because the comment could have been perceived as racist."

They had to give him a game. After the banana throwing incident with Wayne Simmonds, anything that could even be perceived as racist is going to get punished.

That's why the NHL released a statement basically saying, "We don't think what he said was racist, but he's getting a game because the comment could have been perceived as racist."

I wasn't aware of that, okay.

Still not a fan of the crying wolf routine.

Context.

There are a lot of things I can say that are not racist in one context, but are racist in another depending solely on who I am saying them to and about.

Given that it was directed at Subban, and given the Simmonds incident. Its different than saying it to Stortini.

The monkey implication is just something the NHL cannot tolerate.

How the people who hear the comment percieve it, is often as important as the intention of the person saying it.

If Barch doesn't understand the sensitivity around the use of the banana, thats kind of his own fault, I mean the Simmonds thing had to come to his attention. Pleading ignorance and not understanding that the comment can be taken the wrong way isn't a defence here, he knows whats gone on previously.

If someone is offended by the implications of a banana and being a black person, do you think they shouldn't have a right to feel that way?

Nothing like this PC world where every time you open your mouth you could be called a racist. Seriously, if you parse anyone's language enough, you can find a way to call them a racist. I'm sure I could go through virtually every comment on this board and, with enough research into other cultures etc, I could find every one of them racist. I agree with removing the overt racial comments, but come on. At what point does it become better to clip out your tongue and become a mute.

Nothing like this PC world where every time you open your mouth you could be called a racist. Seriously, if you parse anyone's language enough, you can find a way to call them a racist. I'm sure I could go through virtually every comment on this board and, with enough research into other cultures etc, I could find every one of them racist. I agree with removing the overt racial comments, but come on. At what point does it become better to clip out your tongue and become a mute.

Again, yes with research into other cultures, a remark might be racist.

but thats the thing.... CONTEXT is key. Who you are talking to is key.

If Barch says this about Travis Moen, its not racist... but he didn't... he directed it at Subban.

This is no different than what every single person in the world faces every single day... there are things you can say on the job to one co-worker; that you couldn't possibly say to a different co-worker.