All Purpose Gomez Thread

JoeLassister

Well, he might have scored...on Crescent Street.

;)

lol You really think Scott Gomez is hanging out on Crescent street? What's he doing there, Brutopia trivia night?

• Upvote 1

lol You really think Scott Gomez is hanging out on Crescent street? What's he doing there, Brutopia trivia night?

Did the Brutopia trivia night once. Our team name was "Team Probably will go the the titty bar after this shit". We lost. All speaking french first language...

I thought this was a reference to him scoring a goal at the fans/skills practice!! Did he at least score there?? :D

Poor Gomer :lol: The strange thing about his play this season is that he seems to be suffering from the Eller syndrome: he often looks great out there, makes nice plays (really, looks like his old self on many shifts) - and yet the points just aren't coming. Normally when that happens to a veteran you say it's just a matter of time, but with this particular guy all bets are off.

Poor Gomer :lol: The strange thing about his play this season is that he seems to be suffering from the Eller syndrome: he often looks great out there, makes nice plays (really, looks like his old self on many shifts) - and yet the points just aren't coming. Normally when that happens to a veteran you say it's just a matter of time, but with this particular guy all bets are off.

I can't help but like the guy and believe in him. I think he's a good man. I hope he does us proud.

I can't help but like the guy and believe in him. I think he's a good man. I hope he does us proud.

I think everyone really wants him to play well and succeed. If he was putting up 50 point seasons with solid play I wouldn't be complaining to much about the salary hit just because he is just likable haha

What's so frustrating is that the pre-2010-11 Gomez was in many ways tailor-made for the Montreal Canadiens: smart, super-fast, dashing playmaker with pizzazz, just the sort of guy that Habs fans traditionally love to watch. I was always a Gomez fan just because I have a weakness for shifty playmakers and because I loved the sheer excitement of his crazy rushes. Unfortunately, all of this has been soured for us, partly because of (understandable) resentment of his absurd contract in a cap system, but mainly because - kind of like what happened with José Theodore - his game simply and inexplicably dried up and blew away overnight. We can rightly attack Bob for taking on that contract and dealing away a blue-chip prospect in the process, but I don't see how anyone could have anticipated that he would devolve so quickly and so dramatically in terms of production. It's doubly mysterious inasmuch as his speed and puck-control skills don't seem to have diminished. :spamafote:

What's so frustrating is that the pre-2010-11 Gomez was in many ways tailor-made for the Montreal Canadiens: smart, super-fast, dashing playmaker with pizzazz, just the sort of guy that Habs fans traditionally love to watch. I was always a Gomez fan just because I have a weakness for shifty playmakers and because I loved the sheer excitement of his crazy rushes. Unfortunately, all of this has been soured for us, partly because of (understandable) resentment of his absurd contract in a cap system, but mainly because - kind of like what happened with José Theodore - his game simply and inexplicably dried up and blew away overnight. We can rightly attack Bob for taking on that contract and dealing away a blue-chip prospect in the process, but I don't see how anyone could have anticipated that he would devolve so quickly and so dramatically in terms of production. It's doubly mysterious inasmuch as his speed and puck-control skills don't seem to have diminished. :spamafote:

He had a superstar contract. Everyone (except Gainey) knew that the Rags WAYYY overpaid for him. I bet we could have acquired a blue chip prospect,instead of giving one up,to take that ridiculous contract off Sathers hands

<p>I hated the trade on the day it was made.  Called it a huge mistake from day 1.  But even then, no one could have anticipated how bad gomez would be.

Even if we got the 60 pt Gomez, we'd be losing the trade.

But with what we've gotten the last two seasons, its robbery. But I don't believe anyone could have predicted hed be this bad and be completely incapable of even filling a 2nd line role.

I hated the trade on the day it was made. Called it a huge mistake from day 1. But even then, no one could have anticipated how bad gomez would be.

Even if we got the 60 pt Gomez, we'd be losing the trade.

But with what we've gotten the last two seasons, its robbery.

Right. At the time, if I remember right, my view was the following:

-I was very happy to get Gomez;

-I didn't like his contract, obviously, but have long since concluded that fans are far too hysterical over the cap and contracts, so that wasn't the deal-breaker for me;

-if McDonagh eveolved into a top-4 defenceman it would be a bad trade.

Since the third variable has indeed happened, the trade was indeed a terrible one. But you make a key point about the 60-point Gomez versus the Gomez we have now. It was a bad trade at the time, yeah, but nobody could have forseen just HOW cataclysmically bad it was, because nobody could have forseen Gomez becoming a completely useless hockey player.

Right. At the time, if I remember right, my view was the following:

-I was very happy to get Gomez;

-I didn't like his contract, obviously, but have long since concluded that fans are far too hysterical over the cap and contracts, so that wasn't the deal-breaker for me;

-if McDonagh eveolved into a top-4 defenceman it would be a bad trade.

Since the third variable has indeed happened, the trade was indeed a terrible one. But you make a key point about the 60-point Gomez versus the Gomez we have now. It was a bad trade at the time, yeah, but nobody could have forseen just HOW cataclysmically bad it was, because nobody could have forseen Gomez becoming a completely useless hockey player.

I remember the trade very well as it was probably the closes I've come to renouncing my loyalty to the Habs. I was having a party later on that night and I planned on burning my Habs jersey in a firepit and posting it online in protest. I happened to get so drunk that I forgot to do so thankfully :)

I had watched Gomez on the Rangers dozens and dozens of times, as my roommate at the time is a hardcore Rangers fan. We watched hockey basically every night, so I had first hand knowledge of how much Gomez's game was going south. It's funny how I could see that but Gainey didn't. I would tease my roommate every game about how ineffective he was and how he was locked up for so much money for such a long time. There was certainly NO WAY that the Rangers would ever get over the hump with such an albatross of a contract, with such little production. My roommate hated the fact that he was on his team as much as I teased him. And then the trade happened and my world was turned upside down. How was Sather able to unload him??? You mean to say that not only did he unload him, he acquired a first round drafted player, Higgins and Valentenko??? He must of paid Gainey millions of dollars under the table to do such a thing.....or ol' Bob has lost his mind. I began to settle down a few days later when free agency started and a new influx of players came in. It was hard to judge how this whole brand new team would play, so I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

I am a little confused by the hyperbole here from normally balanced posters such as CC and C. Gomez completely useless? No doubt it was a hail mary trade then that has only gotten worse with time, but watching Gomez dominate possession while carrying the puck up ice like no other is proof enough that he is far from useless.

i'd say the jury is still out on his season. if he continues to adapt to playing the wing with Pleks and registers 25 or so more points (for 30+ in 50 games) before the playoffs, i'd say he's had a reasonable bounce back year.

I am a little confused by the hyperbole here from normally balanced posters such as CC and C.  Gomez completely useless?  No doubt it was a hail mary trade then that has only gotten worse with time, but watching Gomez dominate possession while carrying the puck up ice like no other is proof enough that he is far from useless.

i'd say the jury is still out on his season.  if he continues to adapt to playing the wing with Pleks and registers 25 or so more points (for 30+ in 50 games) before the playoffs, i'd say he's had a reasonable bounce back year.

I agree that completely useless is unfair, but even if he does what you ask, playing wing with Pleks, we aren't getting the value we wanted. He has proven incapable, over the last 1.5 seasons, of being the second line centre. That's what this team needs right now, a good 2nd line centre. We paid for a first line centre on the day of the deal, and we're not even getting 2nd line centre minutes. As top line centres have proven to be the rarest commodity in the NHL in recent years, it really hurts and leaves a massive hole that he can't even be our 2nd line guy.

I agree that completely useless is unfair, but even if he does what you ask, playing wing with Pleks, we aren't getting the value we wanted. He has proven incapable, over the last 1.5 seasons, of being the second line centre. That's what this team needs right now, a good 2nd line centre. We paid for a first line centre on the day of the deal, and we're not even getting 2nd line centre minutes. As top line centres have proven to be the rarest commodity in the NHL in recent years, it really hurts and leaves a massive hole that he can't even be our 2nd line guy.

Good points. Still, i don't mind DD and Pleks as 1 and 2, and Eller is a fine up-and-coming 3rd C. None of those guys, nor Gomez, is a suitable 4th line C. It will be interesting to see if White, or indeed Engqvist, can step up where Nokia has failed.

Miss Halpern. That was a loss.

Pleks is a fine #1, if you have a great #2.

DD is a fine #2, if you have a great #1.

Neither Pleks nor DD is great, and that's the crux of the problem.

I think the best way to go is to upgrade on DD and move him to third line wing.

Pleks is a fine #1, if you have a great #2.

DD is a fine #2, if you have a great #1.

Neither Pleks nor DD is great, and that's the crux of the problem.

I think the best way to go is to upgrade on DD and move him to third line wing.

nope. i'm done underestimating DD.

he's played 98 NHL games and has 58 points. he is getting better all the time. i expect him to become a 65-85 points per season player.

yes, that still leaves us without a superstar centre. but that's OK - there are only so many to go around. we have other stars on the make - Price, PK, Patches, not to mention Emelin who may just become the best hitter in the NHL in short order.