All Purpose Gomez Thread

JoeLassister

nope. i'm done underestimating DD.

he's played 98 NHL games and has 58 points. he is getting better all the time. i expect him to become a 65-85 points per season player.

yes, that still leaves us without a superstar centre. but that's OK - there are only so many to go around. we have other stars on the make - Price, PK, Patches, not to mention Emelin who may just become the best hitter in the NHL in short order.

Thats a huge gap between 65-85 points.

I like DD a lot his vision is incredible and I just wish he was as strong as Marty St. Louis because I really believe they have comparable vision.

DD has thrived with big wingers and thats awesome.

I hope he can be that 85 point guy but it seems every 10 games he has 3 or 4 where he is not noticable.

If he can score consitatntly it increases his value.

All that said I do not think we can forget what Plekanec has done, if he scores 20 this year it would be 6 straight seasons with 20+ goals when was the last time a Hab did that?

I am a little confused by the hyperbole here from normally balanced posters such as CC and C. Gomez completely useless? No doubt it was a hail mary trade then that has only gotten worse with time, but watching Gomez dominate possession while carrying the puck up ice like no other is proof enough that he is far from useless.

i'd say the jury is still out on his season. if he continues to adapt to playing the wing with Pleks and registers 25 or so more points (for 30+ in 50 games) before the playoffs, i'd say he's had a reasonable bounce back year.

I don't know how to get this to the thread that requires it. "jury is still out","reasonable bounce back year"," watching Gomez dominate possession" doesn't sound to me like comments that recognize he may or may not score on the anniversary of his last goal.

I will say this about Gomez: he leads the entire NHL in first assists per ice time. Ahead of Claude Giroux and Henrik Sedin.

He's never been a goal scorer, and he's worse at that now than ever for sure. But he's still a darn good set up guy. His injury coincided with the team's downfall. He's still an important player on this team. Worth the money? Nope, especially since you can put his cap hit towards a good second D pairing, but he does make this team as currently constructed a lot better.

I will say this about Gomez: he leads the entire NHL in first assists per ice time. Ahead of Claude Giroux and Henrik Sedin.

He's never been a goal scorer, and he's worse at that now than ever for sure. But he's still a darn good set up guy. His injury coincided with the team's downfall. He's still an important player on this team. Worth the money? Nope, especially since you can put his cap hit towards a good second D pairing, but he does make this team as currently constructed a lot better.

Gomez also leads the league in the number of obscure statistical categories marshalled in his defence: http://theleafsnation.com/2012/1/26/is-scott-gomez-hockeys-most-underrated-yes :lol:

I agree that Gomez has looked good this season and brought value when healthy. But the fact is that at his current pace - 7 points in 20 games - he would score 28 points over an 82-game season. That's 28 points, not goals. Come on. No matter how we rationalize it, that is ridiculous.

Good points. Still, i don't mind DD and Pleks as 1 and 2, and Eller is a fine up-and-coming 3rd C. None of those guys, nor Gomez, is a suitable 4th line C. It will be interesting to see if White, or indeed Engqvist, can step up where Nokia has failed.

Miss Halpern. That was a loss.

Dominic Moore was even more of a loss.

The Gomez goal-less streak is so sad that it has actually become humorous. You know it's bad when this headline reads: http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/44581-Scott-Gomez-almost-scores-in-Montreal-Canadiens-30-win-over-Winnipeg-Jets.html

I think it is fair to say that this contract is up there with the worst of all time. We have become the laughing stock of the entire league. No matter how much we are all pulling for Scotty, and praising his effort, this is just absolutely ridiculous. The guy has a measly 21 goals in 207 games regular season and playoffs since joining Montreal. We all know that he is not a goal scorer, but oh my god that is terrible. There is NO CHANCE that Montreal can compete or get better with Gomez in the lineup and with his albatross cap hit preventing us from maybe acquiring someone who can produce for that kind of money. If this current team had a real 7m dollar player this season instead of Gomez, things would be alot different now. No need to blow things up, just need to part ways with Scotty. Just imagine the possibilities.......

The Gomez goal-less streak is so sad that it has actually become humorous. You know it's bad when this headline reads: http://www.thehockey...nipeg-Jets.html

I think it is fair to say that this contract is up there with the worst of all time. We have become the laughing stock of the entire league. No matter how much we are all pulling for Scotty, and praising his effort, this is just absolutely ridiculous. The guy has a measly 21 goals in 207 games regular season and playoffs since joining Montreal. We all know that he is not a goal scorer, but oh my god that is terrible. There is NO CHANCE that Montreal can compete or get better with Gomez in the lineup and with his albatross cap hit preventing us from maybe acquiring someone who can produce for that kind of money. If this current team had a real 7m dollar player this season instead of Gomez, things would be alot different now. No need to blow things up, just need to part ways with Scotty. Just imagine the possibilities.......

Yeah. Of course, if he had strong assist totals, this goal drought would be merely funny. But add to it abysmal results as a playmaker and it just becomes sad. We'll find out this summer either how serious Molson is about winning (is he prepared to waste millions buying out Gomer or paying him in Hamilton?) or how creative our new GM can be in unloading this rotting, reeking albatross of a contract,

Carey Price LOVES Scott Gomez.

That is a certainty, he voiced his displeasure with a couple of fans at the game yesterday prior to the 3rd period.

I did not think I could love Price any more than I did but wow what a GREAT STAND UP KID.

Yeah. While this hasn't been his greatest season, Price shows every sign of being THE heart and soul of our club for the next decade. His performance in the shootout drill in the All-Star Game also underscored his funky brand of charisma. The kid's a winner and a legitimate talent to build around.

Carey Price LOVES Scott Gomez.

That is a certainty, he voiced his displeasure with a couple of fans at the game yesterday prior to the 3rd period.

I did not think I could love Price any more than I did but wow what a GREAT STAND UP KID.

Stubbs reported that Gomez is extremely well liked by the players. He may not be producing but he is one of the biggest leaders on this team. It sucks that we basically have a $7.4 million cheerleader. just fear what sor of negative impact his dismissal would have on the locker room.

Stubbs reported that Gomez is extremely well liked by the players. He may not be producing but he is one of the biggest leaders on this team. It sucks that we basically have a $7.4 million cheerleader. just fear what sor of negative impact his dismissal would have on the locker room.

Our team has had sh*t chemistry all season long, right down to a rebellion against the coach. If that's the best Gomez can do for the team culture then he's not worth seven bucks let along seven million.

Our team has had sh*t chemistry all season long, right down to a rebellion against the coach. If that's the best Gomez can do for the team culture then he's not worth seven bucks let along seven million.

:clap: well said

Any player in that room that would sulk over Gomez being buried in the AHL should be traded, because the last thing the Habs need are guys who don't value a chance to win above all else.

Alot of it was Cammallaeri as well. Darche was apparently a huge kiss..... There just seems to be issues all around. I think alot of it has to do with the fact that most teams have character guys on their bottom 6. Guys who are leaders, keep things light. We haven't had a decent 4th line in how many years?

Commandant: What did I tell you about guys still willing to fall on their sword for Gomez? It has taken most of you a year to come around but we are still in the same place. It's pathetic. This the Goat's #1 mistake by far.

Commandant: What did I tell you about guys still willing to fall on their sword for Gomez? It has taken most of you a year to come around but we are still in the same place. It's pathetic. This the Goat's #1 mistake by far.

The thing with Gomez is that there is zero reason to get rid of him right now.  Even with Gomez on the roster the Habs can acquire cap hits worth over 10.5 million today, or 12 million on deadline day.  What point is there to getting extra cap space from Gomez, there is no one to spend it on, and we shouldn't be buyers, we should be sellers at the deadline anyway.

If there is anyone who wants him back in October, I'll tell that person they are crazy.  But there really isn't much use to sending him to Hamilton right now.  The team gains nothing from such a transaction.

I also fail to see how this is Gauthier's mistake.  Firstly he didn't acquire Gomez.  Secondly, who was he supposed to trade Gomez for, who was gonna take Gomez off our hands?  And Thirdly sending Gomez to the minors would have to be approved by Molson, and isn't really Gauthier's move to make.  I want Gauthier gone as much as anyone, but the Gomez mess (and it is a mess) isn't really his doing.

The thing with Gomez is that there is zero reason to get rid of him right now. Even with Gomez on the roster the Habs can acquire cap hits worth over 10.5 million today, or 12 million on deadline day. What point is there to getting extra cap space from Gomez, there is no one to spend it on, and we shouldn't be buyers, we should be sellers at the deadline anyway.

If there is anyone who wants him back in October, I'll tell that person they are crazy. But there really isn't much use to sending him to Hamilton right now. The team gains nothing from such a transaction.

I also fail to see how this is Gauthier's mistake. Firstly he didn't acquire Gomez. Secondly, who was he supposed to trade Gomez for, who was gonna take Gomez off our hands? And Thirdly sending Gomez to the minors would have to be approved by Molson, and isn't really Gauthier's move to make. I want Gauthier gone as much as anyone, but the Gomez mess (and it is a mess) isn't really his doing.

Gainey and Sather are the real idiots and not sure what Gauthier could of ever done with Gomez?

If any youngster needs some NHL experiance, fo sure send Gomez away, dont care if Hamilton, press box, Alaska or to go hang out with Big George, just dont waste a roster spot on him, let Palushaj take his minutes or Engqvist take his centre slot on 4th line?

He is of no use to a non playoff team and i pray is not in 2012-13 plan?

The thing with Gomez is that there is zero reason to get rid of him right now. Even with Gomez on the roster the Habs can acquire cap hits worth over 10.5 million today, or 12 million on deadline day. What point is there to getting extra cap space from Gomez, there is no one to spend it on, and we shouldn't be buyers, we should be sellers at the deadline anyway.

If there is anyone who wants him back in October, I'll tell that person they are crazy. But there really isn't much use to sending him to Hamilton right now. The team gains nothing from such a transaction.

I also fail to see how this is Gauthier's mistake. Firstly he didn't acquire Gomez. Secondly, who was he supposed to trade Gomez for, who was gonna take Gomez off our hands? And Thirdly sending Gomez to the minors would have to be approved by Molson, and isn't really Gauthier's move to make. I want Gauthier gone as much as anyone, but the Gomez mess (and it is a mess) isn't really his doing.

I get that it is Gaineys mess. Gauthier could and should have put him in minors last year. Unfortunely we don't have a Medosa line in hockey because he would be under it. We certianly could have used the savings and just maybe Hammer or Wiz would have been still here. And just maybe we wouldn't be in what 27th place? Want a solution. Offer him a coaching job at the same pay and term he would get if he went to minors which would be his other choice. I have no doubt that he could be an excellent coach and that might be enough to set him up for after hockey. Hell we might want to resign him. He must be looking for a way out as much as the rest of us.

I get that it  is Gaineys mess. Gauthier could and should have put him in minors last year. Unfortunely we don't have a Medosa line in hockey because he would be under it.  We certianly could have used the savings and just maybe Hammer or Wiz would have been still here. And just maybe we wouldn't be in what 27th place? Want a solution. Offer him a coaching job at the same pay and term he would get if he went to minors which would be his other choice. I have no doubt that he could be an excellent coach and that might be enough to set him up for after hockey. Hell we might want to resign him. He must be looking for a way out as much as the rest of us.

I think the league would see paying a guy with 0 coaching experience 2.5x what other head coaches are being paid, and doing so to get him off your cap as falling under the catch all "circumventing the CBA clause" that they used on Kovalchuk's original contract.

I agree we should have gone after other players and jettisoned him in the summer, but I also think that sending him to the minors is still a Molson decision, not a Gauthier one. It ultimately is on ownership to approve such a drastic move and the financial consequences it has.

Gomez is loved by his team mates Price went APE shoot on some fans.

Seriously I wish I had a videocamera,

Big time to that!

:clap: well said

Any player in that room that would sulk over Gomez being buried in the AHL should be traded, because the last thing the Habs need are guys who don't value a chance to win above all else.

And from what we have seen from Molson would suggest he does not have the you know what to do this stuff.

#enjoyslosing

I disagree with the premise that he couldn't be offered a coaching job rather than being sent to minors. I think it is probably a better solution than the Redden affect. I know the players and the league are heading toward confrontation, but in reality they both need a better solution to onerous contracts. As Commandant has pointed out we will not need extra cap space. Therefore it is irrelevant if Gomez plays for us or not for the rest of year its not going to matter. Frankly he has earned a ticket out of here. The deadline is D Day for Gomez.

I disagree with the premise that he couldn't be offered a coaching job rather than being sent to minors.

I seriously don't even think doing this is an option.... Bettman would throw a conniption if you tried something lie this where it was obvious the intent was to get rid of the cap hit.
I think it is probably a better solution than the Redden affect. I know the players and the league are heading toward confrontation, but in reality they both need a better solution to onerous contracts. As Commandant has pointed out we will not need extra cap space. Therefore it is irrelevant if Gomez plays for us or not for the rest of year its not going to matter. Frankly he has earned a ticket out of here. The deadline is D Day for Gomez.

Deadline? as in trade deadline? I highly doubt anyone would trade for him.

I seriously don't even think doing this is an option.... Bettman would throw a conniption if you tried something lie this where it was obvious the intent was to get rid of the cap hit.

Can he please get so mad his little head blows off :)

I would really like that :)