Habs hire 3 more, including AHL Asst Coach Donald Dufresne

Commandant

A goalie coach, that's half the problem solved for Hamilton between the pipes...now they just need the goalie. In all seriousness, I'm glad to see they'll actually have a coaching staff this year instead of just one assistant.

• Upvote 1

Maybe Bergevin is just adding to his connections circle by offering Moreau his first post-playing career job. They all gotta start somewhere and Pro Scouting (or scouting in general) appear to be the first step. I'm sure there is merit for this move.

Donald Dufresne actually cost me millions of dollars. Years ago, my family members all picked there own lotto 6/49 numbers, which we have played every draw since. I picked my favorite Habs at the time, and Donald was not one of them. But if you switched his jersey number for that of Matther Schneider, we would have won 3-4 million dollars. Instead, we got 5 of 6 numbers, and won 1500.00 . I can never forgive him for not being a better player.

• Upvote 3

Donald Dufresne actually cost me millions of dollars. Years ago, my family members all picked there own lotto 6/49 numbers, which we have played every draw since. I picked my favorite Habs at the time, and Donald was not one of them. But if you switched his jersey number for that of Matther Schneider, we would have won 3-4 million dollars. Instead, we got 5 of 6 numbers, and won 1500.00 . I can never forgive him for not being a better player.

LMFAO

Gold, Jerry. Gold.

I like all these names - Riendeau and Defresne in particular are the sort of marginal NHLers who often go on to become good coaches/scouts - but overall these announcements are too minor to warrant more than a 'meh.' They confirm that Bergevin has exhaustive French Canadian hockey connections and that (Therrien excepted) he seems to make quality hires. But I still want the next name to be LARRY ROBINSON. ;)

The big bird should be offered a lifetime assistant coaching position.

With the recent hirings it's obvious the habs are trying to really showcade their affirmative action program before Quebec gets a team.

I like all these names - Riendeau and Defresne in particular are the sort of marginal NHLers who often go on to become good coaches/scouts - but overall these announcements are too minor to warrant more than a 'meh.' They confirm that Bergevin has exhaustive French Canadian hockey connections and that (Therrien excepted) he seems to make quality hires. But I still want the next name to be LARRY ROBINSON. ;)

Although those all don't speak French, I think you could make a case that guys like Dufresne and Riendeau are 'token' hires. Mind you I like Dufresne's resume a bit while Riendeau's various experience is both intriguing and worrisome (a goalie coach should not coach in that many countries in a hurry). I'm sure there were other qualified options out there for those spots although if they're interested in trying to groom guys to possibly coach in Montreal, I can certainly understand the logic.