2012-13 NHL Regular Season Thread

dlbalr

One of the better d-men set to hit the UFA market is now gone as Kimmo Timonen has agreed to terms on a 1 year, $6M extension with the Flyers. They're looking like they'll be really tight to the cap for next year so I suspect they'll be using at least one if not both of their compliance buyouts.

I find it bizarre that they can use Thomas's cap until he dies or,they terminate the contract, or he comes back and plays. This can't be what the players association had in mind as it allows teams to abuse the cap floor. I get this year,but that shold be it unless he comes back.

I'll give Garth Snow this much, he's really good at manipulating the system to spend as little as possible. That's a very smart move by the Islanders. Now, there's no guarantee they'll toll the contract to get that 'benefit' in perpetuity but it will allow them to sell off a few players without having to take money back this year.

Keaton Ellerby gets dealt to LA for a 5th round pick. Two thoughts immediately sprung to my mind:

1) That seems really cheap, I know he was buried on the depth chart but still...

2) What is the obsession with trading 5th rounders all of a sudden?

I'll give Garth Snow this much, he's really good at manipulating the system to spend as little as possible. That's a very smart move by the Islanders. Now, there's no guarantee they'll toll the contract to get that 'benefit' in perpetuity but it will allow them to sell off a few players without having to take money back this year.

As seen on Facebook NHL Memes :

So Tim Thomas may like this trade... No threat of going to the White House anytime soon.

:lol:

According to NHL.com boxscore, ice time for today's matchup between New Jersey and Pittsburgh after 1 period :

Malkin : 5:59

Crosby : 5:21

Zajac : 6:43

Clarkson : 8:25

Kovalchuk : 10:53 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone else is a bit surprised/dissapointed with the young guns in Edmonton ?

Eberle : 10gp 3-4-7

RNH : 9gp 0-5-5

I really thought that they would come out much more stronger than that.

According to NHL.com boxscore, ice time for today's matchup between New Jersey and Pittsburgh after 1 period :

Malkin : 5:59

Crosby : 5:21

Zajac : 6:43

Clarkson : 8:25

Kovalchuk : 10:53 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kovy ended up with over 30min in that game ! insane. He did racked up 2 pts (on the PP) in the win. Only 3 shots on goal though

Anyone else is a bit surprised/dissapointed with the young guns in Edmonton ?

Eberle : 10gp 3-4-7

RNH : 9gp 0-5-5

I really thought that they would come out much more stronger than that.

RNH is certainly off to a slow start... Eb's is playing, he just needs his playmaker to step it up

Columbus fires GM Scott Howson, only about 3 years too late. Fans should be dancing in the streets with that news.

Congrats to Jarmo Kekalainen who becomes the first European GM of an NHL team.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=655514&navid=nhl:topheads

It looks like re-alignment is back in the plans for next season using a similar format (2 divisions with 8, 2 with 7) to the one that was kiboshed by the NHLPA previously. A couple of teams are expected to be re-arranged from the previous idea but this is the division the Habs would have been in under the previous plan:

Boston
Buffalo
Florida
Montreal
Ottawa
Tampa Bay
Toronto

If the league and the PA can work things out in the coming days, it could be ratified by the owners later this month.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/22010/rest-easy-winnipeg-realignment-is-coming

It looks like re-alignment is back in the plans for next season using a similar format (2 divisions with 8, 2 with 7) to the one that was kiboshed by the NHLPA previously. A couple of teams are expected to be re-arranged from the previous idea but this is the division the Habs would have been in under the previous plan:

Boston

Buffalo

Florida

Montreal

Ottawa

Tampa Bay

Toronto

If the league and the PA can work things out in the coming days, it could be ratified by the owners later this month.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/22010/rest-easy-winnipeg-realignment-is-coming

So looks like they want to put the mid-Atlantic team together and leave the rest to the other division. If I were the Habs I would strongly advocate to have Carolina instead of Boston. Boston is way more Mid-Atlantic than Raleigh.

Boston

Buffalo

Florida

Montreal

Ottawa

Tampa Bay

Toronto

Still completely hate this idea. Playoff system is awful. The only by product of the league change I see will be more tanking teams competing for picks because they can't compete against the couple big teams in their group. I like the idea of playing all the teams in the league... but now there are SO MANY more games that don't matter near as much because they aren't in your division and you aren't competing against them for a playoff spot.

This change makes zero hockey sense imo. Simply about money. This set up bothers me more then the lockout did.

I think the Senators are the early favourite for least lucky team injury wise. Spezza's out long-term, Regin and Latendresse are also hurt, Michalek went down in warmups tonight, and now Erik Karlsson looked like he got his calf/Achilles cut by a skate blade. Not to mention that Lundin and Gonchar also have missed time. That's a lot of injuries in less than a calendar month.

I think the Senators are the early favourite for least lucky team injury wise. Spezza's out long-term, Regin and Latendresse are also hurt, Michalek went down in warmups tonight, and now Erik Karlsson looked like he got his calf/Achilles cut by a skate blade. Not to mention that Lundin and Gonchar also have missed time. That's a lot of injuries in less than a calendar month.

And they are still ahead of the Habs !