Winning the division is HUGE...

TheDriveFor25

Looks pretty safe to say Pittsburgh will finish 1st. By winning the division and finishing 2nd you eliminate the possibility of playing the stacked Pens until the ECF.

If things unfold perfectly and seeds 1-4 win the first round.. You would setup a 2nd round matchup against the SE winner while Pitts and Boston could battle it out.

Just thinking far ahead... But winning the division is big...

I kinda take the view that, if you want to go deep, sooner or later you have to face one of the Big Teams. So I don't fret too much about it. Frankly, I'm as nervous about TO or even Ottawa, because of the psychology involved, as I am about Boston. Pittsburgh is another story - they have two of Team Canada's 2010 Gold Medal first line, for God's sake. Still, we've seen apparently stacked teams melt down in the playoffs before. Let the chips fall where they may. I like our gutsy team.

Malkin's wonky head is one hit away from taking him out, and Letang is banged up. Pittsburgh is beatable even with Iginla IF we get Carey's A-game.

Iginla to the Bruins would have scared me more, because I think his leadership in that room would have gotten Lucic and Horton going...and that would make the Bruins incredibly hard to beat.

Looks pretty safe to say Pittsburgh will finish 1st. By winning the division and finishing 2nd you eliminate the possibility of playing the stacked Pens until the ECF.

If things unfold perfectly and seeds 1-4 win the first round.. You would setup a 2nd round matchup against the SE winner while Pitts and Boston could battle it out.

That's an excellent point. And we need the Pens to play the Bruins. For that we need 2 things:

1- Habs need to win the NE division

2- Jets/(or South East 3rd seed team) need to win in 1st round vs whoever they're playing

Everyone is beatable.

Need I remind anyone of 1992-1993?

Correct... Everybody is beatable... But having a guy named Patty Roy definitely helped. We can talk about the heart of the team all we want, but the truth is it'll be Carey who takes us as far as we're going to go.

Correct... Everybody is beatable... But having a guy named Patty Roy definitely helped. We can talk about the heart of the team all we want, but the truth is it'll be Carey who takes us as far as we're going to go.

Unless Patches scores 7 GWG, Conn Smythe will go to Carey or PK.

Why do you guys keep mentioning Patrick?

I'm talking about the Islanders beating the league dominating Penguins in seven games. They had Lemieux who dominated the league, they had Scotty Bowman behind the bench, they had incredible depth, good goalie, made smart moves at the deadline, etc. and they still lost.

That's why everyone is beatable.

Carey is no Patrick up to this point..not even close. I'd love for that to happen, though.

But he's the closest thing to Roy we've ever had. They also have many similarities.

Exception of the Cup in his first year, the '93 Cup was in Roy's 8th year. It is Price 6th season.

I could not agree more, i felt last night was just like a playoff game, and if we do somehow make it to the second round it sure would be nice if boston and pitsburgh were playing against each other in the other series, so if we happened to meet pittsburgh in the 3rd round they might be a little banged up. But i do realize a lot can happen from here until the end of the season, just getting a little excited, becaue i really like our team.

Edited by Habs27

Carey is no Patrick up to this point..not even close. I'd love for that to happen, though.

I'm not sure I agree with this. I think they're very close.

Avoiding Piits early is key. Let another team beat them up some. if Boston and Pitts bash out in a long series, we can beat the tired and bruised survivor.

It would take a serious slip for Montreal to play Pittsburgh in the first round. It would take the top three seeds winning their series' for Montreal to play them in the second round.

I think the shortened season will get them in. Usually its about the 40-45 game mark that they start to fade out.

Wow. Such high hopes. There's plenty of time for the Leafs to fade out of the playoffs. Don't count them in so soon!

:rofl:

Until Carey wins a Conn Smythe - ONE conn Smythe, not even three - comparing Price to Roy, is just a wee bit premature. Price is one of the best goalies in the league today. Roy is one of the greatest goalies of all time.

I'm not sure I agree with this. I think they're very close.

I think winning the division is over-rated. Nice to have, but how many division winners ran out of gas in the playoffs? It's not often you have the #1 and #2 teams in the league meet in the finals like Calgary and Montreal did in the 80's.

As 8th seed, edmonton went to the finals. As 8th seed, we went to the final 4. as division winners we got our asses kicked in the 2nd round by Philly.

Playoff success is about getting favourable matchups (styles), staying healthy, getting bounces and having your goalie stealing some games.

Even if we were to finish 8th, I like our chances against the pens - that's not the matchup I want, but I'd be more leery of Philly sneaking in and facing them. They've been our playoff kryponite.

Until Carey wins a Conn Smythe - ONE conn Smythe, not even three - comparing Price to Roy, is just a wee bit premature. Price is one of the best goalies in the league today. Roy is one of the greatest goalies of all time.

Comparing Price now to Roy in his early days is perfectly reasonable. Yes, Roy had more trophy's, and he was arguably better then than is Price now, but I don't think there's nearly so much difference as has been intimated. The glow of history tends to forget the details and Roy regularly let in one bad goal a game, in fact I remember a lot of talk about trading him even after his early exploits because he was still too prone to poor goals. Of course, back then one bad goal a game didn't kill a team since there was a pile more scoring. Today if Price lets in a bad goal, and I would argue he lets in far fewer bad goals than Roy ever did, it can cost a game.

The reason Roy ended up being HOF and one of the greatest ever was his mental toughness. After all that talk of him letting in bad goals, it became very apparent that they didn't faze him. It was like the score was re-set to 0-0, and he was determined not to let another in. Other goalies let those things get to them, and they become sieves as their mental toughness crumbles. Price doesn't quite have the same mental toughness, but he's as close as any goalie right now, and I see plenty of signs that he continues to get stronger. The other point to consider is that in today's game, the goalie has far more pressure than they did in '86. That was a scoring league. This is not.

I would reiterate that I don't see them on par (yet) but I think they're extremely close at this point in their respective careers. I also see the potential for Price to become one of the best goalies to ever play the game.

But that's for the future. ;-)

• Upvote 1

I love Patric Roy but he had some advantages over Carey. Yes there was more scoring, so the team could bail him out of those bad goals, but he was of the innovators of wearing equip that was 14 sizes too big. size 60 jersey etc. and yes I remember some of those long bouncing shots from the red line that shipped past him into the net. But a tougher competitor never lived. And I don't care who you say, he was a competitor through and through, he didn't know how to quit. Love live st patrick. :clap: I think Carey will collect plenty of trophies before he is done, including some stanley cups. It will be great to watch. :habslogo: