Nathan Beaulieu charged with assault

dlbalr

I hope this all blows over trading away Nathan for scraps would be a horrible choice.

This incident should have nothing to do with his future as a Hab.

Has there been a player in Montreal who's gotten into serious PR trouble and NOT shipped out eventually? It's not a rhetorical question, I'm honestly asking.

Your parameters are a bit unfair here. For example, Ryan O'Byrne got in PR trouble but he wasn't shipped out for it. He was shipped out because he was a crappy player that had intangibles GM's drooled over.

Saku Koivu had a few PR slip ups including not speaking French when he could speak French and being spotted drinking with the opposition after bad losses (the one that comes to mind is him and Souray partying with Bertuzzi/Naslund right after a game where we got shelled hard). Saku wasn't shipped out. He just wasn't re-signed.

The Worst Day in Habs History involved Roman Hamrlik, Sergei Kostitsyn and Andrei Kostitsyn. Nobody was moved due to the incident.

Had Jose Theodore still been a Vezina calibre goaltender he would have never been shipped out of town for the Paris Hilton or Propecia-Gate incidents.

I find the only time you get shipped out quick is when you say something bad about the team or management. That's the real time where everyone seizes up and then makes ridiculous decisions. Trading Mike Cammalleri mid-game against the Bruins is still one of the most disgusting moments of this franchise, regardless of what one thinks of him as a player. Could have been Darcy Tucker and it still would have been wrong.

Your parameters are a bit unfair here. For example, Ryan O'Byrne got in PR trouble but he wasn't shipped out for it. He was shipped out because he was a crappy player that had intangibles GM's drooled over.

Saku Koivu had a few PR slip ups including not speaking French when he could speak French and being spotted drinking with the opposition after bad losses (the one that comes to mind is him and Souray partying with Bertuzzi/Naslund right after a game where we got shelled hard). Saku wasn't shipped out. He just wasn't re-signed.

The Worst Day in Habs History involved Roman Hamrlik, Sergei Kostitsyn and Andrei Kostitsyn. Nobody was moved due to the incident.

Had Jose Theodore still been a Vezina calibre goaltender he would have never been shipped out of town for the Paris Hilton or Propecia-Gate incidents.

I find the only time you get shipped out quick is when you say something bad about the team or management. That's the real time where everyone seizes up and then makes ridiculous decisions. Trading Mike Cammalleri mid-game against the Bruins is still one of the most disgusting moments of this franchise, regardless of what one thinks of him as a player. Could have been Darcy Tucker and it still would have been wrong.

Too true on Cammalleri. What was the Hamrlik, Kosty, and Andrei deal about?

Too true on Cammalleri. What was the Hamrlik, Kosty, and Andrei deal about?

Short story is that Hamrlik, Sergei and Andrei Kostitsyn were hanging out with mobsters who the police were monitoring. This was back in the 2008-09 season. The news about it leaked out slowly and the French media pounced on it as this huge controversy that was going to bring down the Canadiens. I can't remember who, might have been Demers cried on air saying it was the worst moment in the history of the team. "The Darkest Day in Habs history".

They weren't even charged. Just had bad taste in company. But the media reaction was crazy. What was interesting was it ended up opening up a bunch of rumours and half-truths from people speculating. The one that while isn't "proven" or "confirmed" but "likely accurate" was Komisarek and Higgins partying late after games and sometimes bringing Price and Gorges along with them. That's why Hal Gill was sort of assigned to "babysit" them the next year.

The whole incident was bullshit and I lost all respect for demers after that incident and that it was a joke that someone who jumped to the conclusion he did subsequently became a senator.

The reason he said it was the darkest day in habs history and would shake the foundation of the habs, was that the players were reportedly involved in heroin or cocaine trafficking. As it turned out, they were just hanging out with the wrong people. It was typical Montreal French media bullshit.

Messier, Anderson, Jagr, ciccerrelli, natress and Tocchet have all hung out with and have associated with far worse people. Hell, there have been NHL owners like mcnall, that were far bigger criminals then those guys.

Short story is that Hamrlik, Sergei and Andrei Kostitsyn were hanging out with mobsters who the police were monitoring. This was back in the 2008-09 season. The news about it leaked out slowly and the French media pounced on it as this huge controversy that was going to bring down the Canadiens. I can't remember who, might have been Demers cried on air saying it was the worst moment in the history of the team. "The Darkest Day in Habs history".

They weren't even charged. Just had bad taste in company. But the media reaction was crazy. What was interesting was it ended up opening up a bunch of rumours and half-truths from people speculating. The one that while isn't "proven" or "confirmed" but "likely accurate" was Komisarek and Higgins partying late after games and sometimes bringing Price and Gorges along with them. That's why Hal Gill was sort of assigned to "babysit" them the next year.

The whole incident was bullshit and I lost all respect for demers after that incident and that it was a joke that someone who jumped to the conclusion he did subsequently became a senator.

The reason he said it was the darkest day in habs history and would shake the foundation of the habs, was that the players were reportedly involved in heroin or cocaine trafficking. As it turned out, they were just hanging out with the wrong people. It was typical Montreal French media bullshit.

Oh yeah. Cuz everywhere around the globe, any other language media NEVER pull that kind of bullshit. Typical Montreal French bullshit. :rolleyes:

My reference to French media, is because, in Montreal, the French media tends to have more of a tabloid approach (main reason is there are more French papers then the one English paper - although I would group Todd in the same bucket).

The difference between the gazette an some of the French papers is pretty much like the New York Times vs New York Dailey News, it the globe and mail vs. the Sun papers.

Oh yeah. Cuz everywhere around the globe, any other language media NEVER pull that kind of bullshit. Typical Montreal French bullshit. :rolleyes:

No matter what he says or does, I will ALWAYS respect Demers for his balls in Game 2 of the 1993 Stanley Cup Final. His gutsy all-in coaching made a crucial difference in an historic game that otherwise would have cost us the Cup.

As for the other argument, the Montreal media is not normal when it comes to hockey. It is the most extreme and hysterical media base in the entire sport. All the proof you need is Saku Koivu getting a photo flash in his wounded eye while on his hospital bed.

No matter what he says or does, I will ALWAYS respect Demers for his balls in Game 2 of the 1993 Stanley Cup Final. His gutsy all-in coaching made a crucial difference in an historic game that otherwise would have cost us the Cup.

As for the other argument, the Montreal media is not normal when it comes to hockey. It is the most extreme and hysterical media base in the entire sport. All the proof you need is Saku Koivu getting a photo flash in his wounded eye while on his hospital bed.

You'll be sad to know there is actually quite a bit of controversy about that call and the Habs pre measuring his stick.

You'll be sad to know there is actually quite a bit of controversy about that call and the Habs pre measuring his stick.

It's silly hockey controversy, mostly the fact that everybody knew that McSorely was playing with an illegal stick but supposedly calling someone out on it in the playoffs, let alone the finals, was a "cheap move".

It's silly hockey controversy, mostly the fact that everybody knew that McSorely was playing with an illegal stick but supposedly calling someone out on it in the playoffs, let alone the finals, was a "cheap move".

Exactly... my opinion is that if McSorely was dumb enough to play with an illegal stick, he should get called out for it.

He didn't want the penalty? He should have used a legal stick.

Whether they premeasured is irrelevant IMO.

Its not the "French Media" though, thats unfair to the journalists who are good.

Its "Certain Members of the French Media"

I hope those certain members move to Quebec City soon!

#wishinanddreamin

Its not the "French Media" though, thats unfair to the journalists who are good.

Its "Certain Members of the French Media"

Well the Ottawa Sun stunt today was almost as bad as when those photographers went into Koivu's room for a photo. The Ottawa Sun was just classless and tasteless. The photographer could have put Koivu at risk, considering his eye injury.

• Upvote 1

Well the Ottawa Sun stunt today was almost as bad as when those photographers went into Koivu's room for a photo. The Ottawa Sun was just classless and tasteless. The photographer could have put Koivu at risk, considering his eye injury.

Very true.

• 4 weeks later...

Jacques Beaulieu fired from Sarnia.

Team says it is NOT related to on-ice performance, but will say no more on the advice of their lawyers.

That is such BS. The guy is nominated for coach of the year and a couple of minor charges costs him his job? If the Saints didn't fire Sean Payton, this guy shouldn't have been fired.

Jacques Beaulieu fired from Sarnia.

Team says it is NOT related to on-ice performance, but will say no more on the advice of their lawyers.

That can't be a good thing. Evidently they believe there's some substance to this.

Sarnia's owner on the firing:

When asked if the firing had anything to do with Beaulieu's arrest, Ciccarelli answered, “No,” and reiterated it also was not because of his on-ice performance but declined to comment further on his reasons for dismissing the coach.

http://www.theobserver.ca/2013/05/30/facing-assault-charges-jacques-beaulieu-relieved-of-his-coaching-and-general-manager-duties-with-the-sting

So its not on ice.

Its not the arrest.

What is this, a game of twenty questions?

If I take them at face value that it's not the arrest or on-ice related, I'm guessing recruitment violations which would also explain why it can't be commented on. Sarnia can then claim to David Branch that as soon as the organization was made aware of these hypothetical wrongdoings, they fired him which would likely lessen the penalties.

If I take them at face value that it's not the arrest or on-ice related, I'm guessing recruitment violations which would also explain why it can't be commented on. Sarnia can then claim to David Branch that as soon as the organization was made aware of these hypothetical wrongdoings, they fired him which would likely lessen the penalties.

you have such a devious mind Dlbair. It would never have occurred to me. good thought though. :habslogo: