Draft Position

devils_fury2

With Montreal being out of the playoffs now.....would anyone know which position Montreal would be drafting now in the first round

With Montreal being out of the playoffs now.....would anyone know which position Montreal would be drafting now in the first round

We won't know until the conference finals for sure. They tentatively sit 26th and can go no worse; they could possibly go as high as 23.

We won't know until the conference finals for sure. They tentatively sit 26th and can go no worse; they could possibly go as high as 23.

alright thanks :)

Can't go higher than 24 now.

Ducks lost to Red Wings ... Habs move up 1 more spot in draft to 25th at worst (still possible to move up to 23, but it's not likely BOTH the Pens and Hawks fail to make Conference finals)

Well shucks. That's the difference between drafting Tinordi and trading up to draft Tinordi.

I'm well aware of the top tier talent at the draft, there seem to be 4-5 elite prospects, but what about the bottom of the first round and beginning of the second, where we have three picks? It's not normal to expect game-changers around there, though it could happen.

Well shucks. That's the difference between drafting Tinordi and trading up to draft Tinordi.

I'm well aware of the top tier talent at the draft, there seem to be 4-5 elite prospects, but what about the bottom of the first round and beginning of the second, where we have three picks? It's not normal to expect game-changers around there, though it could happen.

I'm going to start my more in-depth study of this draft class soon (in preparation for HW's draft coverage) but from I've read out there, the 'late first round' group is deeper than usual this year and that there isn't a giant drop off in talent from the early 20's to late 30's (where the Habs' three top picks reside) compared to normal years. Seldom is a draft deep enough to expect a game changer to be selected in that range but usually there are a couple of high quality guys that come out of the players picked there. Regardless, Montreal should be able to pluck three quality prospects with a legitimate NHL future with their top three selections.

Looking forward to reading about it, dlbalr. It seems like most years there's a few very good players who have been overlooked until that point, like P.K., O'Reilly or Benn, and hopefully with three picks we'll be able to get a difference maker.

Maybe Collberg will be a guy included in that list soon.

Commandant was right that in that the only last four spots are the final determination. We can correctly move Montreal and Anaheim out of those spots after the first round. After the second round, we can also reseed Boston or Pittsburg if they should lose. We can also, reseed the winners of the second round based on their regular season record. After the conference final, we can reseed the losers to 27 and 28. After the Stanley Cup is decided we determine the last two spots.

• 3 weeks later...

Montreal's picks are now officially 25th, 34th, 36th, 55th, 71st, 86th, 176th, 206th

The last player we picked at 25th was Perezhogin in 2001, for what it's worth (zero).

I don't get the formula. There were8 teams still in the playoffs after we got eliminated. Shouldn't we be at 22??

Montreal's picks are now officially 25th, 34th, 36th, 55th, 71st, 86th, 176th, 206th

The last player we picked at 25th was Perezhogin in 2001, for what it's worth (zero).

I don't get the formula. There were8 teams still in the playoffs after we got eliminated. Shouldn't we be at 22??

No, only the conference final teams get moved to the bottom of the draft.

I'll just re-use Commandant's answer from above. Playoff performance is only taken into account after Round 2, so the only way we could move in the draft order is if the teams that finished ahead of us in points in the regular season DIDN'T make the Conference Finals, forcing lower ranked teams higher in the draft order. Only Anaheim was kind and bowed out, Pittsburgh and Chicago didn't acquiesce.

I don't mind that ruling, really... it keeps most teams at their draft position based on an 82 game season and not a minimum of 4 playoff games.

Let me try. After you finish the season, everyone is seeded according to performance.then the only thing that affects that seeding is the final four spots. If you are knocked out (someone with final four seeding) at anytime before the conference finals you take on the last spots available for non conference playoff losers. Since both Montreal and Anahiem lost they take on spots 25 and 26 respectively. We now know that LA and Boston will be in the mix for the final four spots. Any seedings that fell between, LA and Boston, and Montreal at 27 would move up. Example --- Had the Boston been the 15th seed, all the seeds from 16 to 26 would have moved up one for that particular event.