2013 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

Hal Gill gets waived by Nashville - I don't know if it's for a buyout or just regular waivers but either way I'm a tad surprised. Nashville is also going to trade or not qualify Jon Blum and Matt Halischuk. I know Halischuk is a smaller player but at what his salary would be (around $1 M), I think he could be a decent pickup for extra depth.

Quite a few others on waivers today - Kris Russell, Jeff Schultz, Matt Hunwick, and Greg Zanon, all d-men. Of those, it appears only Schultz is on buyout waivers. Zanon was 2nd in the league in blocked shots this past season (Gorges was 7th) and is a pending UFA making $2.25 M. That's a bit pricey for a third pairing player but he wouldn't be a bad depth acquisition.

Right now it looks like Edler is going to be traded solely on financial reasons because Alquini is currently in a divorce and doesn't want to spend any extra money.

In other words, the Phoenix Coyotes have more cap flexibility than the Vancovuer Canucks. Ponder that one, Pinky.

The Leafs and Tyler Bozak are believed to be discussing an eight year contract. Apparently it's for under $5 M but again, eight years?!? I like Bozak but that's a lot for an ideal 2nd line centre.

Also, add Peter Mueller to the list of unqualified RFA's although they're hoping to get a deal done beforehand. This way, he avoids arbitration, similar to what the Habs did with Pouliot a few years ago...and Tampa is doing with Pouliot this year.

I don't see how Tyler Bozak can command anywhere near that term.

It would be amazing to add Edler, but I would expect the Canucks to want something like Beaulieu + Eller in return (don't want to trade Eller even if we get Vinny). We would be going all in for the short term if we got him.

The Leafs and Tyler Bozak are believed to be discussing an eight year contract. Apparently it's for under $5 M but again, eight years?!? I like Bozak but that's a lot for an ideal 2nd line centre.

His camp has tabled an eight year, $4.75M per year contract. Doesn't mean the Leafs aren't laughing at it. Let's hope they think that's a good starting point. There's already talk of Grabovski being bought out.

I still get the sense we haven't heard the last of this. The Goldwater Institute, who has filed a suit against the City for every other lease agreement that was tentatively reached in this debacle, will most likely do so again which could jeopardize things. Even if they don't, ignore the 15 year deal, it's a 5 year one when you consider the ownership group could very well flip the team back into league control as per the reported agreement I mentioned about a month ago. Unless that team starts making money (or more accurately, losing a lot less), they'd be nuts to hold on to it when they've got a card to get them out of it.

The Yotes are now like the Rough Riders and Renegades in the CFL. You knew they were going to fold or move and you knew it was going to get more and more ugly, but like a deer in the headlights of a train wreck, you can't keep your eyes off them and you just can't stop what's going to happen.

I still get the sense we haven't heard the last of this. The Goldwater Institute, who has filed a suit against the City for every other lease agreement that was tentatively reached in this debacle, will most likely do so again which could jeopardize things. Even if they don't, ignore the 15 year deal, it's a 5 year one when you consider the ownership group could very well flip the team back into league control as per the reported agreement I mentioned about a month ago. Unless that team starts making money (or more accurately, losing a lot less), they'd be nuts to hold on to it when they've got a card to get them out of it.

Agreed 100%, Goldwater is lurking in the weeds.

So with the Leafs buying out Grabovski, they now sit 29th in committed payroll for next season. They have 12 players signed and roughly $24.5 M in cap space. RFA's of note are Gunnarsson, Franson, and Kadri who will eat up a decent-sized chunk of that but they'll have a ton of money to spend via free agency/trade. They also are paying six players not to play for them now which is rather interesting.

So with the Leafs buying out Grabovski, they now sit 29th in committed payroll for next season. They have 12 players signed and roughly $24.5 M in cap space. RFA's of note are Gunnarsson, Franson, and Kadri who will eat up a decent-sized chunk of that but they'll have a ton of money to spend via free agency/trade. They also are paying six players not to play for them now which is rather interesting.

Also have Bernier as a RFA to sign

Also have Bernier as a RFA to sign

Forgot about him, he'll command a decent amount of money as well. They'll still have lots to spend after that though, I figure they'll be in on some of the more prominent free agents come tomorrow.

Forgot about him, he'll command a decent amount of money as well. They'll still have lots to spend after that though, I figure they'll be in on some of the more prominent free agents come tomorrow.

Clarkson would be my guess.

Wow, the Bruins get rid of Seguin. Eriksson is a fine player, but I think Seguin will be a consistent 70-90 point player for the next decade or so. They also got rid of Peverley, probably making room for Bergy's and Rask's new deals. They had a tough call to make with three high quality top 6 centremen.

Keith Ballard didn't take long to find a new home, he's off to the Wild, 2 years, $1.5 M per year. That could be a nice value signing for Minny.

Patrik Elias is off the market, he's staying in New Jersey - 3 years, $5.5 M per. He's 37, 3 years is a tad risky.

It looks like Shawn Horcoff is off to Dallas for Philip Larsen and a 2016 7th. Dallas is eating an awful lot of money and giving up a young NHL d-man here, that seems like a waste of cap space for them.

Claude Giroux signs an 8 year extension with Philly worth $8.275 M per year (the 5th highest cap hit in the league).

Alfredsson has reportedly informed Ottawa that he will not re-sign with them and will join Boston or Detroit (so he's staying in the division either way). The Sens were reportedly offering $4M per year, I'm guessing he'll get more than that and perhaps a second year wherever he winds up. Regardless, this is a surprise.

Disappointed we showed no interest in Ballard. Like you say, "nice value signing."

But I'll bide my time until I see how MB addresses the glaring need on D.

Just because he signed with the Wild doesn't mean the Habs didn't kick the tires. Heck, I suspect I'll be using that line a few times when x player signs with y team. If the Habs would have got him, I would imagine Diaz would have had to go to make room. I'm not sure I'd make that trade off (though I'll qualify that by noting that I don't know what Diaz's market value is).

Apparently Ray Emery is to be the Flyers newest saviour in goal.

Bwa-ha-ha-ha!

That fits in well with their goalie model - if at first they don't succeed...bring them back in a few years and hope they do then. (See Boucher and Leighton for recent examples.)