Kovalchuk loses his mind

mineral

Can you believe this? I thought the Devil's twitter account was hacked or something but big bald Lou has confirmed it.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=427507

Does the language imply he's finishing up the rest of his career in Russia? They offering him more money there? I know Ovechkin mentioned giving up on the NHL due to the contract stuff during the CBA talks...but wowie.

Going back to the KHL and leaving some $77M on the table. Here's food for thought: he made the decision in large part because of being in Russia during the lockout, so how good does Bettman look now having caused that event?

Repercussions.

do they still have the cap hit? imagine the cap hit and losing the first round pick.

they got 2 decent goalies tho!

do they still have the cap hit? imagine the cap hit and losing the first round pick.

they got 2 decent goalies tho!

No cap hit (not a 35+ contract). However, they're likely to get charged something for the recapture penalty, probably a few hundred grand a year ($250k for the duration of the contract seems to be what's floating around). Had he stayed until close to the end of the deal, the recapture would be much more significant.

No cap hit (not a 35+ contract). However, they're likely to get charged something for the recapture penalty, probably a few hundred grand a year ($250k for the duration of the contract seems to be what's floating around). Had he stayed until close to the end of the deal, the recapture would be much more significant.

Maybe not even that. New Jersey Devils voided the contract and the NHL approved it. Kovalchuk is welcome to sign with any NHL team, but will just sign in the KHL.

There is a lot of hate going towards him right now but I don't think its justified.

He isn't getting more money (i believe) and I am pretty sure he is doing it only for his family who must have felt more comfortable in Russia, might have helped his relationship with his wife. Its a big decision and I have respect for the guy.

Maybe not even that. New Jersey Devils voided the contract and the NHL approved it. Kovalchuk is welcome to sign with any NHL team, but will just sign in the KHL.

No, the recapture is there. The contract isn't nullified either, Kovalchuk didn't go through termination waivers (like Alexander Avtsin did, for instance) which is a requirement for mutual termination. The Devils still have the right to toll the contract like what the Islanders did with Nabokov when he didn't choose to report to the them. They've chosen not to but if he were to try and jump back to the NHL, as long as it's within the next 12 years, I believe it's within their right to block him. It's the same idea with Luongo - he can retire but can't unretire after to sign elsewhere, he'd be subject to the terms of his Vancouver contract.

Bill Daly on prospect of Kovalchuk returning to NHL: "Safe to say Devils will continue to control his NHL rights for foreseeable future."

https://twitter.com/THNKenCampbell/status/355455149176668160

• 1 month later...
There are KHL teams that couldn't even pay their players. Their biggest grabs so far are an aging Jagr, Radulov, and Hudler. Why on Earth would Malkin or Ovechkin sign in Russia for 2 million a year? Do you really think either of them are going to forfeit 6-7 million a year to play in Russia? If US and Canadian stars don't sign for 2 million to stay near home, why would Geno or Ovie? Do you really think Geno would give up that much money just to have his mom cook for him?

The KHL is years away from being any sort of threat to the NHL. As I pointed out in another thread, it could actually be a good thing. If the KHL becomes viable, the players who would leave the NHL would be the guys who are only here because it is the highest paying league around. Yes, there would be a drop in the talent level, but we would be left with the guys who really want to be here. The guys who grew up dreaming of the Stanley Cup. The game would lose some flash, but it would gain a lot of heart. Personally, I think those things would off-set and we'd be just fine. Floating would be replaced by crashing the net. Pulling up in the corners would be replaced by thundering checks.

P.S. Why would players up and quit the union? Are they going to negotiate their own CBA and look out for themselves legally?

An Mathias Brunet article made me think about this post from Fanpuck back in 2009 when I claimed that the KHL would attract big names in the near future.

He used the word heresy on me. ;)

An Mathias Brunet article made me think about this post from Fanpuck back in 2009 when I claimed that the KHL would attract big names in the near future.

He used the word heresy on me. ;)

The most ridiculous part of that post is his argument for less talent in the league. Sure, we'd all rather watch Begin than Kovalchuck.

The most ridiculous part of that post is his argument for less talent in the league. Sure, we'd all rather watch Begin than Kovalchuck.

To his defense, he toned it down a bit a few post later.

http://forums.habsworld.net/index.php?showtopic=11764

No, not about that, more about your 15 team NHL with a champions league.

haha one can dream of a much stronger NHL... along with a world wide style Stanley Cup run... hahaha