2014 NHL Draft

Commandant

At 54 I've got a kid who looks a lot like McCarron a year ago, probably a little worse due to the fact he's older today than McCarron was one year ago and not quite as big. This is a good comparison of the drafts.... 54 here would have been 70s last year (I had McC at 60)

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/05/30/2014-nhl-draft-profile-54-connor-chatham/

Big Brett Lernout from Swift Current, seemed to kick ass in combine testing, would be sweet if he is still available for 86/87th pick, or if Habs could trade for a late 2nd round/early 3rd round pick.

Be nice to see Habs trade down or add a 2nd round pick and grab a extra d-men, like a Jacobs, Glover, Siebenaler, Sanheim, Mattsson, Emil Johansson, etc.

Love the Hab pick you have @26th, I know Timmins was noted attending one Blades game, so wonder if Scherbak played well in that game?

(also like the 6'3.25" kid you have @27th)

McKeens took Sanheim @13th in mock draft and he is a big kid, so that one may not be in the kooky category of Virtanen being in the 2nd round which aint happening, Timmins would jump for joy if Virtanen is available @26th.

If Habs can deal the 26th and trade down for an early 2nd and a 3rd, I might like to see that, as numerous good looking d-men and others in 30-90 range.

But Commandant's Russian to Habs, might be a nice pick, or if Adrian Kempe (a de la Rose clone) is still available, would be hard to pass on.

McKeens took Sanheim @13th in mock draft and he is a big kid, so that one may not be in the kooky category of Virtanen being in the 2nd round which aint happening, Timmins would jump for joy if Virtanen is available @26th.

I heard Button's comments on Virtanen on That's Hockey last night. He expects him to go fairly high in the first round but he has reservations about him being a top-6 forward. He compared him to Raffi Torres, actually, and those types of players are more second round type, hence the low ranking.

I think with Sanheim he was commenting on how much he improved in the second half of the year and said something along the lines of if CSB did a May rating, he'd be in the top-10 (or 15, I forget which).

What's your take on Vladimir Tkachev? He first caught my eye during the Subway Super Series and he played quite well after joining Moncton. Obviously his size will hurt him dearly but how far do you think he drops? Although the Habs have enough small guys in their system, I'd have to think he'd be at or near the top of my list come the 86th pick. (I think he should be gone by then but that size may have him drop that far.)

Know nothing of Torres as a prospect, he started NHL with 20-27 goal seasons and seemed to go sideways.

But Virtanen was impressive, stood out to me as a rookie last year and looked all-round good again this year and can fly/hits/can score/ is good sized and gritty.

Couldn't comment on defensive game, but @26 I think would grab him over any others than could fall and Shinkaruk almost fell enough last year, but Molson likely wanted BIG anyways.

Sabres had tons of picks in last couple years and bunch more picks this year.

Wonder if Buffalo would part with 31st and 61st for Habs 26th; who could then maybe grab a Marcus Pettersson/Glover-like d-man as well as a Ryan Collins/Jacobs type?

(I am just pulling for more defense this year and some good quality should still be there in 2nd/3rd round)

What's your take on Vladimir Tkachev? He first caught my eye during the Subway Super Series and he played quite well after joining Moncton. Obviously his size will hurt him dearly but how far do you think he drops? Although the Habs have enough small guys in their system, I'd have to think he'd be at or near the top of my list come the 86th pick. (I think he should be gone by then but that size may have him drop that far.)

He's got talent, but the size and Russian factor is going to make him drop IMO.

For today we have Two For One Day

Ryan Donato

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/06/05/2014-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-hm1-ryan-donato/

Warren Foegele

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/06/05/2014-nhl-draft-profile-hm2-warren-foegele/

From the few things I've read about Nikita Sherbak, he looks like a really good pick, especially late in the first round. I sure hope he is available when our turn rolls around.