Benefits/downfalls of the Olympic break

Meller93

The 16 day break is probably needed for some of our players, i.e, Prust, as I think he might have been nursing an injury. It also works in our favor for Galchenyuk missing less time.

One of the main downfalls I'm worried about is the toll this will have on Markov. He already seems tired since the start of the year, and extra hockey, and likely some of the heaviest minutes for Russia, could wear him down faster.

On the contrary, I think the Olympics might be exactly what Subban needs to get the ball rolling again. He's young enough to take te workload, and a little change in routine could be great for his game. This is a great growing experience for him.

Thoughts on the good and bad of the break?

Good idea for a thread.

I agree with your assessments of Subban and Markov. Subban needs the weight of this distraction lifted off his shoulders, and it could also inspire him heading into the stretch drive with a new contract in play.

I'm fearing an injury for one of our guys, but even if they all remain healthy I think it will take something out of them physically and mentally. Price can hardly play any better after the break than he has before it; on the other hand, his concentration could lapse a bit. Maybe Emelin could get a kickstart like we outlined for Subban, but our other guys will probably only get more worn out by this short intense competition. And all our best players are going. I'd guess that we're at a greater disadvantage than most teams from this tourney.

At least Gallagher gets a break. And maybe Eller can have a nice private vacation after this unpleasant public one he's been taking.

Alain Crete on RDS mentioned that the Olympic break has a chance of derailing the streak that Bourque's been on, and everyone had a good laugh.

All our best players are going.

You forget, our best player (Diaz) was just traded.

Hahaha actually though, yea, all our best players are going. I hope hope Patches isn't too fragile... Kind of brings a new element to that nickname :/

I think it has the potential to hurt us disproportionately. We have seven players going to the Olympics. The preponderance of teams with that many players in the Games are Cup contenders (e.g., Chicago, St Louis, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Pittsburgh). It's teams like ours, that aren't contenders, yet have a whack of Olympians, that are at highest risk of post-Games burnout IMHO - because we have a lower overall talent level to begin with, making it harder to absorb the effects. Markov is obviously the top concern, but even a Price - if he plays lots of games - could get pretty strung out by the end of it all. I love the tournament, but I'm a bit uneasy about its effects on us.

Alain Crete on RDS mentioned that the Olympic break has a chance of derailing the streak that Bourque's been on, and everyone had a good laugh.

True that Bourque has had an awful year, but it is also true that he had been playing better over the past couple of weeks. Let's hope he can keep it up after the break!

I think it has the potential to hurt us disproportionately. We have seven players going to the Olympics. The preponderance of teams with that many players in the Games are Cup contenders (e.g., Chicago, St Louis, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Pittsburgh). It's teams like ours, that aren't contenders, yet have a whack of Olympians, that are at highest risk of post-Games burnout IMHO - because we have a lower overall talent level to begin with, making it harder to absorb the effects. Markov is obviously the top concern, but even a Price - if he plays lots of games - could get pretty strung out by the end of it all. I love the tournament, but I'm a bit uneasy about its effects on us.

I think we underestimate at times the kind of workhorse Price is. I think if Price is 100% healthy, he could play 82 games plus 20 in the post-season. I don't think he tires out. Just so many games, especially against weaker teams, the likelihood of injury increases. Same goes with playing in the Olympics. I just don't believe Price burns out.

If Price backstops Canada to a gold medal, the long-term benefits in terms of his aura and self-confidence will probably be worth any post-Olympic letdown. As for whether he is such a thoroughbred that he could play 100 games per year, I don't know. It's easy, given his supreme awesomeness this season, to forget that Price has flagged at times in the past, whether due to fatigue or injury or self-doubt or whatever. Anyway, my concern wasn't just with Price, but with the whole scenario of a non-contending team sending that many guys to the games. But who knows, I could be fretting for nothing.

If Price backstops Canada to a gold medal, the long-term benefits in terms of his aura and self-confidence will probably be worth any post-Olympic letdown.

He's already playing about as well as he could be, how could the Olympics improve that? I do think a good performance will come in very handy in the playoffs, where he hasn't had much success since the AHL. But I could also see a post-Olympic dip from him after the culmination of all that effort and focus.

EDIT: On second reading that seems to be what you're saying.

Of course it will affect the Olympians. But I think if will be mostly beneficial to most of the team, specially our smaller forwards who will get some rest: Briere, Gionta, Desharnais, Gallagher.

It will also help those bruised or injured: Prust, Bournival, Moen, Galcheynuk, Drewiske, and maybe Georges.

Weise will have some time to settle in and, with the rest of the team, he will have some extra practices to work on the team's system. I think he makes Moen redundant.

===

I liked how MB was bringing up Thomas, Leblanc, Nattinen before the trade; checking the right-handed forwards in Hamilton before making a move. If there is room, I think we will see some of the same after the Olympics and before the trade deadline, to assess what can be done to get this team closer to a contender without giving away key assets.

Many good points. Fatigue, injuries, nagging ailments.invaluable experience and training. I think it gives MB a window to evaluate his top assets as viewed by the world and maybe he can finalize the numbers on their value to the organization. (Subban/Markov eg.) i think it also gives the organization the breathing room to close in on what they need to do at the deadline.

Quality post Alfred, sums it up for me.... Price and Subban have the endurance for it not to be a factor with them, Plek too. Markov getting over tired may be the only bad point for the Habs. Smurfs will get some rest, and we will get Galchenyuk back.....

Luongo has had little good well (other than huge contract) since winning gold. His worst playoffs came in 2010 right after big win.

Don't think will be any huge +/- with Olympians. likely will be good for couple and not so much for others.

But, I hope they do well and all hab-led teams beat up on Sweden-Finland.

(Wonder how Subban will like the Russian popcorn, while sitting in the pressbox for a couple weeks.) :)

Doughty will not lose his spot. He has a Reputation for being a Stud Defender, just as Subban has a Reputation for being High Risk and Too Big for His Britches. The end.

If PK does find himself getting meaningful minutes, you can bet we'll hear over and over about how he "really took a step forward" and "really matured" in this tournament. In fact he will simply have been bringing the same game and attitude he's brought to the Habs, but the NHL old boys never let facts get in the way of good prejudices.