Habs vs Bruins, March 24

Neech

Typical Pooh Bears whining after the game! à

Not to mention the Hunchback of Notre-Dame crying like a little girl because Emelin wouldn't fight him. I find it funny that Lucic is a big tough guy now, where was he when Laraque asked him to dance?? Oh yeah I forgot, he was hiding!!

I wonder if he would want to drop'em with Big George Parros??

I only got to see the 3rd period but I was really happy with Gionta's play, especially on the PK. Of all the games to complain about his ice time, this wasn't one of them. Weaver also played quite well shorthanded and it was nice to see him get a boost in minutes (which also cut into Bouillon's time).

When I was doing the links this morning, I tried to find something from the Boston side that wasn't terribly biased. You'll note that there isn't one among those posted today... I came across this from the Boston Herald though:

- Someone has to explain to Moen that Canadiens don’t stand up and fight, they dish cheap shots. Moen paid for it by getting knocked semi-unconscious and having to be helped off the ice.

- It was all so familiar. The Canadiens getting under the Bruins’ skin with their customary cheap shots and whining, the B’s taking undisciplined penalties, and the Habs finding a way to eke out a win.

- The Canadiens claimed that Lucic gave Emelin a high stick into the groin area, sending the defenseman slowly off the ice, hunched over in pain. The replay didn’t look like much of anything.

- And therein lay the problem. Not the dirty plays by Emelin or Andrei Markov or any other Canadien, but the Bruins’ simple inability to finish plays.

Lots of 'interesting' stuff in there, it's safe to say the local writers aren't the most objective either. Markov is a dirty player, I wasn't aware of that until I read that column. Apparently the replay of the Lucic stick-to-groin incident is different in Boston as well.

Really? you think we need Price to beat Buffalo? hell bring tokarski, better yet Dubnyk back up for buff. Our genius coach gets lucky again. Them scotches work good for him. Gotta admit you can't argue against success no matter how stupid the logic.

Hmmm.....Seems to have been lucky a lot in last 2 years.

Sooner or later, you got to give him kudos.

I only got to see the 3rd period but I was really happy with Gionta's play, especially on the PK. Of all the games to complain about his ice time, this wasn't one of them. Weaver also played quite well shorthanded and it was nice to see him get a boost in minutes (which also cut into Bouillon's time).

When I was doing the links this morning, I tried to find something from the Boston side that wasn't terribly biased. You'll note that there isn't one among those posted today... I came across this from the Boston Herald though:

Lots of 'interesting' stuff in there, it's safe to say the local writers aren't the most objective either. Markov is a dirty player, I wasn't aware of that until I read that column. Apparently the replay of the Lucic stick-to-groin incident is different in Boston as well.

Not sure which cheap shot I liked best. Markov standing up to Thorton mugging and then laughing at him, Weaver demolition of some Bruin or the opening act by Yemelin in a classic hipcheck.

I hope these 2 meet again in playoffs.

The Bruins and their childish tantums are just too funny to watch.

Here are some interesting comments I found in the comments section of an article about last night's game written in the Boston Herald. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised to read alot of reasonable comments by what seem like Bruins fans!

This is the biggest bunch of crap I have ever read....this whining is right up there with the Toronto media everytime the Leafs lose....take off your black and gold goggles and watch the game....Emelins hit was not a dirty low bridge hit like you whine about, it was a clean open iced hip check...every hockey expert that gave an unbiased opinion has stated this,,,I am so tired of Lucic whining everytime someone from Montreal smokes him...where was he a few years back when he beat the tar out of Komisarek and celebrated like he was the WWE champ...only to skate away with his tail between his legs everytime George Laracque challenged him....Chara showed a lot of class cross checking Emelin to the ice after the "CLEAN" hit on Lucic and then trying to slash him when he was down...Miller KO'd Moen and it was a good fight by miller, Moen challenged him and Miller lit him up, I have no problems with that, but the childish comment about Montreal shouldn't fight and stick to their dirty, cheating cheap shots...my god what school of journalism did you go to....P.K. always plays that way and Johnny boy got suckered into a bad penalty....where were the rest of the cheap shots by Montreal you mentioned, I saw a lot of illegal stick work by the Big Bad Bruins also, and please 4 straight power plays in the third period on mostly Phantom calls, give me a break...Lucics stick to Emlins nads was a class act...oh, by I forgot, your totally unbiased opinion said nothing happened...I love the rivalry between these two clubs and the hate and animosity, but keep it in perspective when you are reporting, this article is such a piece of crap you should be bared from covering Bruins games until you can at least show a little bit of unbiased writing....

That quote was not written by a Bruins fan, I guarantee you that.

EDIT: I'm troubled by the KO of Moen. Apart from the horrible issue of concussions and brain damage, he's a guy who really hasn't wanted to fight much in recent years - it always seems to be more out of a sense of obligation than enthusiasm with him - and I think we saw why in that fight; he just isn't strong enough anymore and has probably been aware of his decline in this respect, hence his reluctance. But if that's true, then we can no longer count on him to play his proper role with us: not an "enforcer" proper but an old-school guy who will take a regular shift and drop the mitts if necessary.

I hated to see him get clocked like that. It was like watching the bell toll on a guy's career, officially announcing the downslide.

I wouldn't pay much attention to the Herald. I know them pretty well from living in So NH for 20 years, they're as bad as the Ottawa Sun. Just a lousy tabloid paper. I would be surprised if the Boston Globe had that.

Overall, my dad summed it up best at the game last night. He went, and I asked him about the crowd and he said "they're ready to explode...or turn on the Bruins, classic Boston sports fans."

You have to remember that journalism in all major markets is a business. Articles like this one exist, because they tell the fans what they want/need to hear. They have to deal with losing to MTL to the extent of the Washington Generals. They need this blue collar narrative where the Bruins are the good guys, and "the keepers of old time hockey." The Canadiens either succeed through dives, or territory rights. They're also the fourth most popular team in Boston, so the inferiority complex going on is staggering.

• Upvote 2

Guest Stogey24

That quote was not written by a Bruins fan, I guarantee you that.

EDIT: I'm troubled by the KO of Moen. Apart from the horrible issue of concussions and brain damage, he's a guy who really hasn't wanted to fight much in recent years - it always seems to be more out of a sense of obligation than enthusiasm with him - and I think we saw why in that fight; he just isn't strong enough anymore and has probably been aware of his decline in this respect, hence his reluctance. But if that's true, then we can no longer count on him to play his proper role with us: not an "enforcer" proper but an old-school guy who will take a regular shift and drop the mitts if necessary.

I hated to see him get clocked like that. It was like watching the bell toll on a guy's career, officially announcing the downslide.

I like Moen, he's a good team mate, but I think your pretty much spot on. Even in his prime he wasn't a great fighter. With that being said if his helmet didn't fall off at the start of the fight he would have been fine.

Hmmm.....Seems to have been lucky a lot in last 2 years.

Sooner or later, you got to give him kudos.

Like I said you can't argue against success no matter how dum the logic is. If it works that is all that counts. I don't think I have seen a coach leave his #1 goalie on the bench and play his backup, when he is facing one of the best teams in the NHL who happen to have one of the top 5 goalies in the league. I cannot argue that it didn't work cause Budaj who did not look so good against the Broons last time, played his heart out and we got the win. It is absolutely amazing. Maybe he is a genius. Nahh I don't think so. :)

what if that goalie has a perfect record in that arena? its not that far off you'd think. maybe budaj was motivated to help avenge our team. The habs played very well for the first half of the previous encounter and budaj wanted to win after sucumbing to them 4-1 in that game. the team wanted to win tonight and MT was going to give budaj a chance.... the team rallied behind budaj and we won. mind you with major casualties in moen and weise but the team is tighter after this back to back then ever. this was a calculated gamble by MT and with price focused in a (2-0) snoozer you can't help but congradulate Michel for a well played bet on his team! now we bring on the desperate detroit red wings who will play friday as if its an elimination game for them. can we practice closing out a team desperate?

That will be the motivation, beat the Wings when they need it most, a challenge as MT so often puts things.... Habs are looking like a team that can win games, or any game. Gotta secure the playoff position first and foremost, and why not do it ASAP vs Detroit for two points that will put us a point away from clinching? I like our chances in playoffs, as I see Habs as a better team this year, and hopefully healthier team by this years playoff start.....

Like I said you can't argue against success no matter how dum the logic is. If it works that is all that counts. I don't think I have seen a coach leave his #1 goalie on the bench and play his backup, when he is facing one of the best teams in the NHL who happen to have one of the top 5 goalies in the league. I cannot argue that it didn't work cause Budaj who did not look so good against the Broons last time, played his heart out and we got the win. It is absolutely amazing. Maybe he is a genius. Nahh I don't think so. :)

Few would say Genius at Work behind the bench, but how bout doing 'OK' and not a total moron. I had very low expectations when he was hired, but you cant argue with success and every coach's decision can be picked apart in hindsight.

And for all the 'over the top' cry for his head on a platter after every unpopular choice, he really deserves some credit for steering ship in right direction. Like Bouillon playing a ton; why not, he is doing OK (and team is winning) and someone has to fill Gorges minutes and what other option is there?

Tinordi-Beaulieu cant be expected to play 20+minutes and Murray also is exposed when he plays 18+minutes, so it is either Frankie (who for all the whining about him, he does fine or at leas t not 'Horrible' as some keep repeating) or Weaver, who is looking like he could manage the icetime for next couple weeks till Gorges is back.

Few would say Genius at Work behind the bench, but how bout doing 'OK' and not a total moron. I had very low expectations when he was hired, but you cant argue with success and every coach's decision can be picked apart in hindsight.

And for all the 'over the top' cry for his head on a platter after every unpopular choice, he really deserves some credit for steering ship in right direction. Like Bouillon playing a ton; why not, he is doing OK (and team is winning) and someone has to fill Gorges minutes and what other option is there?

Tinordi-Beaulieu cant be expected to play 20+minutes and Murray also is exposed when he plays 18+minutes, so it is either Frankie (who for all the whining about him, he does fine or at leas t not 'Horrible' as some keep repeating) or Weaver, who is looking like he could manage the icetime for next couple weeks till Gorges is back.

I completely agree! I wasn't convinced either when Therrien was hired, but I gotta say, he's doing better than I expected. Seriously, how many people predicted that the Habs would finish second in the East last year??

How many thought that the Habs would finish in the top 4 in the east this year? Again, not many. We have to give credit where credit is due, Therrien has done a good job so far!

Don I agree with some of what you say,I don't think I called him a moron, but probably close to it. When he was hired I said hey give him a chance. There is a saying that no coach deserves the high praise when the team wins nor does he deserve the negativity when he loses. That is probably true. In the case of MT what you call steering the ship in the right direction, I see nobody steering anything. You credit him with turning this team around, I think this was a pretty good team before with a screwball gm (Gauthier) and 2 coaches (Martin/cunneyworth) who coached the exact same style not very successfully. Defence first and hope the PP and the PK bail you out. I see a lot of that in MT. It has become the fall back position of a lot of teams, play not to lose. While the Habs record has been good, other than the disgusting slide into oblivion last year, I think the possibility exists that if Price weren't playing the way he is. This team would be looking at last place. I don't care how good a coach you think MT is without Price this turkey is cooked. If Price were out for an extended period of time MT would be a poor coach cause we would be losing. We have already seen that. So to shorten this up a bit, me thinks you give him too much credit for the record. I think his goofy decisions are being covered up by a lot of luck and Carey Price. But it is just my oppinion, nobody has to agree with it. :)

Don I agree with some of what you say,I don't think I called him a moron, but probably close to it. When he was hired I said hey give him a chance. There is a saying that no coach deserves the high praise when the team wins nor does he deserve the negativity when he loses. That is probably true. In the case of MT what you call steering the ship in the right direction, I see nobody steering anything. You credit him with turning this team around, I think this was a pretty good team before with a screwball gm (Gauthier) and 2 coaches (Martin/cunneyworth) who coached the exact same style not very successfully. Defence first and hope the PP and the PK bail you out. I see a lot of that in MT. It has become the fall back position of a lot of teams, play not to lose. While the Habs record has been good, other than the disgusting slide into oblivion last year, I think the possibility exists that if Price weren't playing the way he is. This team would be looking at last place. I don't care how good a coach you think MT is without Price this turkey is cooked. If Price were out for an extended period of time MT would be a poor coach cause we would be losing. We have already seen that. So to shorten this up a bit, me thinks you give him too much credit for the record. I think his goofy decisions are being covered up by a lot of luck and Carey Price. But it is just my oppinion, nobody has to agree with it. :)

I wasn't pointing all fingers at you, but you have been consistent in your opinion of Mighty Mike.

And if Scotty Bowman didn't have Ken Dryden-Big Bird-Mario Lemieux and many other hall of famers winning cups how would he be viewed?

You keep speaking to luck, sooner or later even a pessimist has to cave and admit it aint all luck. I know it might take some much longer than others, but making excuses for a successful team that is exceeding 99.9% of people's expectations is illogical isn't it?

And I also know many disagree and that is fine (they are just misguided is all :nuts: ).

And if Scotty Bowman didn't have Ken Dryden-Big Bird-Mario Lemieux and many other hall of famers winning cups how would he be viewed?

Bowman was with the Sabres as coach and GM for much of the 80s. He missed the playoffs only once and won two Jack Adams trophies. He was still viewed as one of the best coaches in the NHL.

Bowman was with the Sabres as coach and GM for much of the 80s. He missed the playoffs only once and won two Jack Adams trophies. He was still viewed as one of the best coaches in the NHL.

I know and his best feat was coaching expansion Blues (but he did have awesowm goalie then as well)

Was v poor example of dismissing roster and coaching success.

And yes he must be viewed as one of best ever.

I wasn't pointing all fingers at you, but you have been consistent in your opinion of Mighty Mike.

You keep speaking to luck, sooner or later even a pessimist has to cave and admit it aint all luck. I know it might take some much longer than others, but making excuses for a successful team that is exceeding 99.9% of people's expectations is illogical isn't it?

And I also know many disagree and that is fine (they are just misguided is all :nuts: ).

Let me clarify, this team is playing exceptionally well, you think it is because of coaching. I don't, I think it is a pretty damn good team. The Scotty Bowman thing has already been answered. But to be fair almost anybody could have coached some of those teams. And I think Scotty was the best coach in the NHL, in his day. I was not impressed with him as a gm but as a coach I don't think he had an equal. While I did say a lotta luck, most of that luck can be attributed the goalie. Don if you think about it how many games have we won this year where we all went " that was a lucky win cause we did not play very well." That is what I am talking about. I do not argue the results, I question that the coach is the reason. I think the players are doing this with some excellent leadership in the room. Hey we disagree, no big deal, you can't have a debate if both parties agree.

you gotta be good to be lucky and lucky to be good......

carey price is our franchise player. not many teams can win consistently when there franchise player isn't performing to expectation. when that franchise player happens to play goal it makes it even more aparant that this is a mute point when discussing MT. Not pulling your goalie at the end of a game to try and send a message rather then give your team a spark by pulling it and a mindset of desperation rather then defeat is a bad coaching decision. starting price in the easy game vs the basement dwellers and hoping his focus could salvage points in an otherwise predictable let down game was a great decision. he is no scotty bowman but he isn't randy cunneyworth either.

Let me clarify, this team is playing exceptionally well, you think it is because of coaching. I don't, I think it is a pretty damn good team. The Scotty Bowman thing has already been answered. But to be fair almost anybody could have coached some of those teams. And I think Scotty was the best coach in the NHL, in his day. I was not impressed with him as a gm but as a coach I don't think he had an equal. While I did say a lotta luck, most of that luck can be attributed the goalie. Don if you think about it how many games have we won this year where we all went " that was a lucky win cause we did not play very well." That is what I am talking about. I do not argue the results, I question that the coach is the reason. I think the players are doing this with some excellent leadership in the room. Hey we disagree, no big deal, you can't have a debate if both parties agree.

I am not a fan of Therrien, but I also don't think he is doing poorly at all and people ripping his every decision, is what I really don't agree with (that's all). Same as most dumping on Eller/Boullion/Murray, I simply am not near as down on them as most are.

Can see why most might be, but if team is winning, I got little issue with team (Bourque Ive got no use for and dump away)

I've never been one to get all worked up about individual coaching decisions during a game. "So-and-so got too many minutes!!" Meh. And it's hard to quarrel with winning.

Much more worrisome is the stagnation of nearly every key young player on the roster. That may not be Therrien's fault. Then again, it might. And if he can't develop these guys, then I don't care how many wins he gets, he needs to go. But it's too soon to proclaim him a disaster on this front.

Hey, the team is winning, which is what we all want. The ultimate goal is to win the cup. Will we win it with MT, I don't think so but I hope to the great pumpkin he proves me wrong. As CC said who got what minutes does not really mean anything, but who he sits and who he plays does. I have not been a fan of his methods but who can argue with the results? I think this team is coaching itself mostly and hey maybe that is the genius of the plan. Make the players responsible for what happens on the ice, and maybe they can change it. Maybe this will a hallmark of coaching, let the players sort themselves out.

Hey, the team is winning, which is what we all want. The ultimate goal is to win the cup. Will we win it with MT, I don't think so but I hope to the great pumpkin he proves me wrong. As CC said who got what minutes does not really mean anything, but who he sits and who he plays does. I have not been a fan of his methods but who can argue with the results? I think this team is coaching itself mostly and hey maybe that is the genius of the plan. Make the players responsible for what happens on the ice, and maybe they can change it. Maybe this will a hallmark of coaching, let the players sort themselves out.

If u gonna beat that dead horse some more.

Let me get this straight;

So if win, it is because of players coaching themselves; however, if lose it will be because of Therrien's coaching?

(Cover all bases)

And if Scotty Bowman, Guy Bouche or Patrick Roy was coaching team, team would win more; however, if they didn't, weak roster would be the reason for losing, not coaching. :blush:

On another note, did anyone watch Knuckles Nilan on the most recent HI/O show? Calling Lucic a "chicken" and going "BUK-BUK-BUK-BWAAAK!" :lol: Apart from slightly alarming remarks about Subban, I thought he was spot-on. Knuckles for assistant coach!!! :habslogo: