Habs invite 44 players to rookie camp

JGC21

Now let me see, so he has a hard time beating Prust can't skate or play any position worth shite, BUT he is one big mother. Nope need guys who can actually play hockey.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another of the invites to the development camp is moving onto the main rookie camp...Stefano Momesso (who wasn't even originally invited to the development camp, he was a late addition). So the first two invites are a goon and a favour to the radio colour guy. Hopefully there are some better invites to come.

Maybe they don't put a lot of stock in rookie camp for try-outs (and Sergio Jr may just be a filler/PR grease)?

They may be considering him for a minor league deal (he's 21) I suppose but this seems like a decision based on Sergio's connection to the team more than a merit-based one.

Ya, exactly and why I think not a big deal, politics seems to creep in everywhere and not much can be done about that (maybe is a favour to Molson, who the heck knows).

Can they afford another young d-man in Hamilton? Or they already gave up on playoffs and will toss em in all in deepend and see how kids deal with adversity?

Can they afford another young d-man in Hamilton? Or they already gave up on playoffs and will toss em in all in deepend and see how kids deal with adversity?

If they think he's a player that's potentially worthy of a contract, they'd find room for him. They will also send some blueliners to Wheeling so there's a spot if he's worthy of one.

If they think he's a player that's potentially worthy of a contract, they'd find room for him. They will also send some blueliners to Wheeling so there's a spot if he's worthy of one.

Just what they need. Another right hand shot defenseman in Hamilton

Just what they need. Another right hand shot defenseman in Hamilton

Lefebvre's new strategy to try to baffle opposing teams: 3 defencemen, 2 forwards per line. The sad thing is, that's not as loony as some of the other decisions that he has made.

What should be realistically expected from Daniel Carr? Is a big jump from ECAC to AHL eh.

He should be able to play top-9 right away and I think he could be a top-6 option by the end of the year...as long as he actually gets a chance and doesn't get buried right off the bat as we've seen happen with some prospects.

Lefebvre's new strategy to try to baffle opposing teams: 3 defencemen, 2 forwards per line. The sad thing is, that's not as loony as some of the other decisions that he has made.

Lefebvre was one hell of a player, it's always lousy to see a guy like that turn into a bad coach or executive. But if he wanted his legacy dragged through the mud, he's in the right place.

The surprises are cool. Who would have rated Craig Berube?

The Habs clearly are looking for size/grit once again at this camp. Tyler Hill (who stands 6'6, 236 lbs) has been added to the Habs' reserve list as a camp invitee.

Just reading what I could he seems to have some talent and may be a late bloomer. Surprised no one took a chance on him in the draft.

Just reading what I could he seems to have some talent and may be a late bloomer. Surprised no one took a chance on him in the draft.

So many big fellows just are not 'nimble' enough to keep up to NHL speed.

Oh well, should make majority of HabFans happy to see physical dimensions like his and others, becasue we all know Jumbo players are what Habs need and Smurf-Hobbit laden team cant win...can make Final-four, but never could win a cup of course.

I don't mind this addition as he's not a goon like Imama or a big non-goon with no offensive talent whatsoever like Schmalz who was at the first camp. Hill at least has a tiny bit of talent and is still adjusting to his major growth spurt. That's more worthy of a look than some of these other invites.

I didn't throw this one on Twitter but David Makowski (who signed an AHL SPC this summer with Hamilton) will be at the rookie camp as well. That one really should come as no surprise.

I would expect all the bulldogs at the rookie camp as they generally do---- Hensick,Finley, Shea, Sorkin, Carr should be there. They have invited ECHL prospects/players in the past.

The last 3 will be there, the first 2 won't. Hensick/Finley aren't rookies and don't really need to be evaluated like the youngsters. They should be at the main camp for a bit though until Hamilton's camp opens.

The last 3 will be there, the first 2 won't. Hensick/Finley aren't rookies and don't really need to be evaluated like the youngsters. They should be at the main camp for a bit though until Hamilton's camp opens.

You make a valid point. i would point out that they brought in Schiestel to rookie camp last year. Not exactly a rookie with five years in minors, but a rookie to the organization. Is there a defining criteria for a rookie?

You make a valid point. i would point out that they brought in Schiestel to rookie camp last year. Not exactly a rookie with five years in minors, but a rookie to the organization. Is there a defining criteria for a rookie?

Here are the rookie criteria:

To be considered a rookie, a player must not have played in more than 25 NHL games in any preceding seasons, nor in six or more NHL games in each of any two preceding seasons. Any player at least 26 years of age (by September 15th of that season) is not considered a rookie.

In Schiestel's case, he never played an NHL game (and I'm confident in suggesting he never will) so technically he was a rookie. Finley (age 27) and Hensick (age 28 with 112 NHL GP) don't qualify as rookies.

Here are the rookie criteria:

To be considered a rookie, a player must not have played in more than 25 NHL games in any preceding seasons, nor in six or more NHL games in each of any two preceding seasons. Any player at least 26 years of age (by September 15th of that season) is not considered a rookie.

In Schiestel's case, he never played an NHL game (and I'm confident in suggesting he never will) so technically he was a rookie. Finley (age 27) and Hensick (age 28 with 112 NHL GP) don't qualify as rookies.

Thanx Brian---- Is it possible to invite someone to rookie camp even though they are not a rookie? The reason i ask is that I have Chad Anderson on the rookie roster in Sept of 2009 at the age of 27. Did we sneak one by them?

Thanx Brian---- Is it possible to invite someone to rookie camp even though they are not a rookie?

That's a good question. I know there are restrictions for the development camp that don't allow older players to participate but the section in the CBA explicitly states for the June/July camp only. I can think of a scenario where a player is at rookie camp that doesn't qualify for rookie status (such as a player who plays 9 games before going back to junior for 2 straight years) so I'd say yes, someone that by definition isn't a rookie could be invited. (Whether or not there are additional age restrictions on that though, I'm not sure...I suspect there would be.)

That's a good question. I know there are restrictions for the development camp that don't allow older players to participate but the section in the CBA explicitly states for the June/July camp only. I can think of a scenario where a player is at rookie camp that doesn't qualify for rookie status (such as a player who plays 9 games before going back to junior for 2 straight years) so I'd say yes, someone that by definition isn't a rookie could be invited. (Whether or not there are additional age restrictions on that though, I'm not sure...I suspect there would be.)

I edited my response/ could you respond to the end remark Brian about Anderson?