Habs invite 44 players to rookie camp

JGC21

I edited my response/ could you respond to the end remark Brian about Anderson?

I don't think having a 27 year old minor leaguer at rookie camp could ever be considered as sneaking one past anyone. :) As I said, I'm not sure as to the specifics regarding any restrictions/age limits for the September rookie camp. That said, I'd still be shocked if Finley/Hensick were there. Anderson was still inexperienced (just 57 minor pro games) at that time, those two have considerably more.

Rookie camp is Sept. 12-16, main camp starts on the 18th. One rookie who won't be attending the rookie camp is Magnus Nygren, he will reportedly only be attending the main camp.

One more confirmed invite, Nick Sorkin will be at rookie camp. No big shocker there since it appears he's signed to the Bulldogs for this season (despite Hamilton neglecting to announce that when he first signed).

How many spots can they use in Wheeling? Or it just never is an issue, with 50 contract limit?

The number of players that they can send down is determined by their affiliation agreement with the Nailers (and we don't know that number). As Pittsburgh is their primary affiliate, I'd expect they can send more down than Montreal/Hamilton. I'd guess no more than 4 or 5 to start as Wheeling has a number of players signed to ECHL SPC's already.

'SPCs'?

what the heck is that, I would guess- Semi-pro contracts? Charleston Chiefs type?

Standard Pro Contract. It's the same terminology used in NHL and AHL contracts that I've used before. Players are either under contract (SPC) or on a tryout (PTO or ATO).

I don't have confirmation of this one yet but it sounds as if defenceman Marc-Olivier Crevier-Morin will be at rookie camp. He too was at development camp.

This one is now confirmed - though he has a back issue that could prevent him from participating in on-ice activities.

We're still waiting on the official list. There was a report that all rookie camp details would be released Monday but nothing happened. The Habs' official Twitter page said the list would then be announced today. Still nothing. In the meantime, I've got the list of the confirmed invitees on the main site.

The list is finally out, we may as well use this thread to discuss the invites. There are a few that we didn't already know about, most of which appear to be players that will eventually head for Hamilton's camp. Justin Baker could be an interesting invite though, he has had some success as an offensive defenceman through junior/college.

http://canadiens.nhl.com/fr/v2/ext/2014-2015/Alignement%20camp%20des%20recrues%20-%20Rookie%20Camp%20Roster%20%2810-09%29.pdf

As I said on other tread, am most curious to see how Bozon, Bennett, Crisp, Gregoire and delaRose look.

I assume Bozon will 'likely' play AHL and not WHL again eh?

Will Wardley earn a contract of some sorts, seems he would fit in nicely with Crisp, Nevins, Finley, Thrower, Dietz, Fournier.

No hobbit/smurfs there.

As I said on other tread, am most curious to see how Bozon, Bennett, Crisp, Gregoire and delaRose look.

I assume Bozon will 'likely' play AHL and not WHL again eh?

Will Wardley earn a contract of some sorts, seems he would fit in nicely with Crisp, Nevins, Finley, Thrower, Dietz, Fournier.

No hobbit/smurfs there.

Are the smurf days/era officially over? I remember when DD stuck with the big club years ago, Jack Edwards hilariously said "David Desharnais is the latest smurf to find work in Montreal." At the time the top 6 featured Cammalleri, DD, Gionta and Gomez, who wasn't really a smurf, but lumped in with the rest.

Last year we had Gio, DD, Briere, Bouillon and Gallagher for diminutive players. This year, only DD and Gallagher. Smaller players like White, Briere and even Gorges have been replaced by Parenteau, Malhotra and Gilbert.

It will be interesting to see what the difference is this year. I hope that it translates to them controlling the play with a puck possession cycle game.

Habs were a much better team when playing a puck possession game last year, we know how much the people on this board alone hates the dump and chase. However, there is a need to play both those styles and more, at certain points of the season vs certain teams, and I think having some more size on average, and some better skating players will help both styles....

Shea is listed as a tryout. i believe he signed an AHL Bulldog contract in July; similar to Makowski who is listed as having AHL contract? Maybe just a misprint. In regards to the tryouts most would be ECHL fodder or end of the bulldogs roster. The Bulldog roster is pretty full. If Bowman and Nygren remain in tow at some level, it thickens the soup. I see a left handed defenseman and maybe a couple of forwards added from the tryouts, max. Someone would really have to shine to score an entry level contract.

Shea is listed as a tryout. i believe he signed an AHL Bulldog contract in July; similar to Makowski who is listed as having AHL contract? Maybe just a misprint. In regards to the tryouts most would be ECHL fodder or end of the bulldogs roster. The Bulldog roster is pretty full. If Bowman and Nygren remain in tow at some level, it thickens the soup. I see a left handed defenseman and maybe a couple of forwards added from the tryouts, max. Someone would really have to shine to score an entry level contract.

That note on Shea caught my eye as well, I'm guessing that's a typo as the Bulldogs announced that Shea signed a contract. As for the rest of the non-junior aged invites, they're likely looking for depth. What I hope is that they're not hoping that some of these guys can be regulars on the Bulldogs, there better be some better veteran tryouts when their main camp opens. I wouldn't say the roster is full up front for them though, there's room for another forward or two yet.