Habs invite 44 players to rookie camp

JGC21

That note on Shea caught my eye as well, I'm guessing that's a typo as the Bulldogs announced that Shea signed a contract. As for the rest of the non-junior aged invites, they're likely looking for depth. What I hope is that they're not hoping that some of these guys can be regulars on the Bulldogs, there better be some better veteran tryouts when their main camp opens. I wouldn't say the roster is full up front for them though, there's room for another forward or two yet.

Yeah, I think you are saying just about what I am saying. We have Hensick, Dowell and I would hope Bowman. Maybe another one coming, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Maybe we could displace somebody from main roster (forward Penner?)-- but I don't know who you would send down

What the hell is a beep test?

One of my least favourite tests in phys-ed. Everyone lines up at one wall, hears the beep, and runs to the other end, set 20 metres apart. At the next beep, they run back to the first wall, etc. The time between beeps gradually decreases as time progresses and if you're not at the wall by the time a beep comes, you're out. Once you get past 10 minutes or so, you feel like you're running wind sprints based on the shorter time between beeps and the fact you've been running for 10 minutes more or less without any sort of rest.

Proof that this exists, just for you Don: :)

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/beep.htm

http://www.topendsports.com/testing/tests/20mshuttle.htm

Our D prospects look ugly when you don't include Beaulieu and Tinordi. Should probably draft a D high next summer.

Team Red getting both Hawkey and Fucale? Unfair advantage. Ship Hawkey to the White team.

I like our forwards though. Nice mix of size, speed, skill and grit. Quite a few longshots but I like that.

Will be great to hear what we see from Bozon. The guy gets all the time he needs to develop from me.

Our D prospects look ugly when you don't include Beaulieu and Tinordi. Should probably draft a D high next summer.

Team Red getting both Hawkey and Fucale? Unfair advantage. Ship Hawkey to the White team.

Nygren/Pateryn are also missing and they're arguably the third and fourth best prospects on D. Of course it won't look too good when your top-4 aren't there. That said, I too think another quality D prospect would be nice to add.

As for the goalies, Condon's the second best amongst the group (and most experienced) and Hawkey/Papirny are both junior guys so that doesn't seem too bad It looks like in general Team A has the advantage though, they always seem to make one group a bit stronger.

D-prospects look ugly? Don't care too much if 1st pick next year is a d or f, will unlikely be in top 10 and another mid-late rounder like Scherbak would be fine by me.

D take longer to develop and unless got a top ten talent, you likely get a Beaulieu/Tinordi that may, or may not ever be a top 4 d-man?

And of Dietz, Bennett, Didier, Thrower, one may do quite well in couple years?

Adding a top young prospect to the group would be sweet, but think only way Habs get a top Trouba/McDonagh type-pick is by giving up something real good.

Just 1st scrimmage but,

Thought Sekac was trying some fancy moves that would get him flattened in NHL, but he and de la Rose looked OK.

Liked Gregoire with Hudon together, obviously some familiarity.

Some big boys on the ice, Schmaltz stood out (figurative/literal) but couldn't move Lernout and I thought Nevins was most fiesty.

Ellis still friggin shakey. McCarron fumbling puck a lot and clumsy.

Bennett can really skate, Beaulieu-like.

Audette looked small and soft.

Andrighetto pretty good.

Thought Makowski and Shea looked OK.

I've heard very good things about Schmalz. I guess he had a bad season but he's bringing it in the camp.

I'm surprised that he's fared well here. He had two lousy seasons to kick off his junior career and he wasn't even a big time scorer at the midget level either. So far so good though.

The final scrimmage is this morning. Scherbak will play but Sekac is listed with the other injured players. The goalies have also flipped, it's now Papirny with Fucale and Hawkey with Condon.

Edit: Sekac will play after all. That's a good sign that whatever was ailing him was minor.