Galchenyuk at Center

Trizzak

this may sound a bit optimistic but we might already have the missing winger in the system. who's to say that sekac or de la rose can't surprise everyone and step in? they're both big, strong, fast and have been playing against men in respectable pro leagues. mb should give them a shot before making any moves out of desperation, like trading plekanics. he's our most valuable center who can shut down anyone in the league and seems to score 20+ goals every year..some of which are huge game-changers. that type of leadership just may land him the "c" this year...then it's turtlenecks for everyone!

• Upvote 1

You know, for all our depth at centre, we have two stellar "second line" centers in Plekanec and Desharnais. We have a kid who hasn't yet come into his own in Galchenyuk, and have a talented young man who is rapidly running out of chances to show he can compete at the NHL level in Eller. Malhotra isn't part of the depth chart, he's there for one season for a specific role, but for now he's a premiere faceoff guy on our roster.

What we're lacking in all this is a true, #1 quality centreman. Eller will never be that guy, even if he develops some consistency and secures his place in the roster. Since we're obviously not trading for one, we need to develop one. Galchenyuk is the best potential for that on the team. That means we need to work at putting him into that role and seeing if he can step up his game and deliver.

And if Galchenyuk were to play wing all year, you think that would really be a bad thing? Because you know injuries or situations (blow out games) will allow him to get some trail runs there, so slot him at wing and play it by ear.

What is the big rush?

And if Galchenyuk were to play wing all year, you think that would really be a bad thing? Because you know injuries or situations (blow out games) will allow him to get some trail runs there, so slot him at wing and play it by ear.

What is the big rush?

Although I agree with Jeff's reasoning 100%, I still don't think there should be a rush, but he does need some time at center to learn, injuries, slumps and Eller's lack of "grab the bull by the horns" may just give Galchenyuk his chance at some quality center time this year... but he could also be one hell of a winger for us this season ...

If Galchenyuk plays wing all season, I want him on Plekanec's line so he is forced to play well defensively as well as offensively. This will help the transition to centre (Against less skilled guys than the ones Plek will match against).

That said, I'd rather him at Centre to begin with.

If Eller developed consistency I could see him definitely being a 60 point center. 60 points last year made you Top 20 in NHL centers. Unless scoring goes up in the NHL a 60 point center is a first line center. For comparison sake, Desharnais this season even with the first quarter slump was 32nd among all centers. Eller was 35th among centers in 2012-2013.

The situation with Galchenyuk for me is this. Let's say you had to make two choices for Galchenyuk this season:

Choice A: Galchenyuk plays top six LW, logs an average of 14-15 minutes of even strength ice time a game along with always being the PP2 left winger. Therrien plays him against top competition all season long, especially on the road. Galchenyuk comes out with not exceptional numbers but decent for a second line left winger.

Choice B: Galchenyuk plays third line center, logs an average of 12 minutes of even strength ice time a game but is taken off PP because he can't win an offensive zone faceoff as well as Desharnais or Plekanec. Therrien plays him against soft competition at home which allows him to score a lot but he gets out-grinded by lines on the road. Galchenyuk comes out with strong numbers for a third line center but we all knew he didn't face the kind of competition he was facing last season when playing on Plekanec's wing.

Which is the better route for Alex?

If Galchenyuk plays wing all season, I want him on Plekanec's line so he is forced to play well defensively as well as offensively. This will help the transition to centre (Against less skilled guys than the ones Plek will match against).

That said, I'd rather him at Centre to begin with.

Same. I think Parenteau would be really good for those two since he's a good setup man.
  • Upvote 2

If Eller developed consistency I could see him definitely being a 60 point center. 60 points last year made you Top 20 in NHL centers. Unless scoring goes up in the NHL a 60 point center is a first line center. For comparison sake, Desharnais this season even with the first quarter slump was 32nd among all centers. Eller was 35th among centers in 2012-2013.

The situation with Galchenyuk for me is this. Let's say you had to make two choices for Galchenyuk this season:

Choice A: Galchenyuk plays top six LW, logs an average of 14-15 minutes of even strength ice time a game along with always being the PP2 left winger. Therrien plays him against top competition all season long, especially on the road. Galchenyuk comes out with not exceptional numbers but decent for a second line left winger.

Choice B: Galchenyuk plays third line center, logs an average of 12 minutes of even strength ice time a game but is taken off PP because he can't win an offensive zone faceoff as well as Desharnais or Plekanec. Therrien plays him against soft competition at home which allows him to score a lot but he gets out-grinded by lines on the road. Galchenyuk comes out with strong numbers for a third line center but we all knew he didn't face the kind of competition he was facing last season when playing on Plekanec's wing.

Which is the better route for Alex?

Same. I think Parenteau would be really good for those two since he's a good setup man.

anxious to see parenteau play...maybe with max, maybe alex, either way, i'm convinced he's an improvement!

The fabled "dynamic center" is a great piece to have. The problem is there are only about 10-12 in the NHL.

Crosby

Getzlaf

Malkin

Giroux

Seguin

Jumbo Joe

Tavares

Stamkos

Spezza

Kopitar

Toews

Having two number one centers hasn't done much for Pittsburgh the last three years. (In terms of Cups) Dallas, Ottawa and the Islanders aren't one piece away just because they have 1st line centers. Tampa just got swept by us. Philly has had glaring holes for, well I don't know, twenty years?

Long story short, I don't think we should blow up the center position just on the chance that Galchenyuk goes bananas and gets 70 pts.

I would add; Duchene, MacKinnon, Nugent-Hopkins, Backes, Monahan, Eakin, Backstrom, Granlund, Johansen, Carter, Bjugstad and likely missing a couple other dynamic centres that are/will be all-stars.

So I think most teams do have an all-star calibre centre, but Habs don't.

Eklund says 'Big Forward" coming to Habs from Sharks!!!! SO maybe Jumbo Joe coming?) :bonk::wall::nuts:

Big Joe? Burns? Marleau?

Hardeeharhar... Eklund.....

Well, he did guess one trade over the years didn't he?

All he said was that they were talking, so probably they were trying to a foursome together for golf at the next gm's meetings, and someone wanted to play from the forward tees. I don't know makes as much sense as EK. Oh and by the way this this is an ek2.

Yeesh, a lot of Eklund bashing! Admit it, we all visit the site. How he has Eric Engels writing for him I will never know.

And he is one of the reasons I go there. First for the humour of reading Eklunds goofy rumours and secondly for some of the writers like Eric Engles.

Ahh Engles smengles! I like that B. La Rose character, he seems to know his stuff (which is quite something for an upper Canadian)!

Ahh Engles smengles! I like that B. La Rose character, he seems to know his stuff (which is quite something for an upper Canadian)!

your nose is getting brown. But I agree with you, I just like erics articles.

Always pickin on me! (But, I know you will be right there to help me get the Christy Clark for PM bandwagon going, so its all good!)

Always pickin on me! (But, I know you will be right there to help me get the Christy Clark for PM bandwagon going, so its all good!)

hey just giving it back a little buddy but I will always be there.

I would add; Duchene, MacKinnon, Nugent-Hopkins, Backes, Monahan, Eakin, Backstrom, Granlund, Johansen, Carter, Bjugstad and likely missing a couple other dynamic centres that are/will be all-stars.

So I think most teams do have an all-star calibre centre, but Habs don't.

Eklund says 'Big Forward" coming to Habs from Sharks!!!! SO maybe Jumbo Joe coming?) :bonk::wall::nuts:

We have seen Stanley Cup Champions that maybe their goalie was a little suspect, maybe defense alignment but not the number one center position. I would argue that it would be hard to come up with an example of a SCC in the last twenty years that didn't have at least one dynamic center at the helm. Can anybody think of one?

We have seen Stanley Cup Champions that maybe their goalie was a little suspect, maybe defense alignment but not the number one center position. I would argue that it would be hard to come up with an example of a SCC in the last twenty years that didn't have at least one dynamic center at the helm. Can anybody think of one?

A washed up Joe Niewendyk was the top center for the Devils in 03. Their leading scorer at center for the playoffs ended up being John Madden.

Guest Stogey24

Montreal isn't built to sink 9.5- 10 mill in a top line centre. They're built to roll 3 quality lines with what looks to be a damn good fourth line this year.

Bruins with Bergeron is weakest team at centre to win maybe? But, I really like Bergeron's game, just not a 'superstar'.

In terms of a "star" C, that's what Galchenyuk is supposed to become. So I'm not sure what the point of trading important assets away to get one would be.

Beyond that, I don't believe you HAVE to have a super-stud C to win the Cup. That's what they said about the 1993 team, that it was mediocre because Kirk Muller was its #1 C. Well, f*ck that. There are lots of possible configurations that enable you to win, and I believe the "roll three lines" approach can certainly work, especially when Price and Subban anchor your back end.