Galchenyuk at Center

Trizzak

God love Malholtra, but I've been uneasy about him ever since Gillis refused to let him suit up for Vancouver on the grounds that he had only one good eye and that, therefore, he was in serious danger every time he hit the ice. It may be that Gillis was simply wrong about this, as he was about many things; but it may also be that Manny is taking an undue risk with his own health - he wouldn't be the first - and that teams are only too happy to abet him in this because of his useful skills - which also wouldn't be a first.

I never thought that Manny could come back from the eye injury, but he proved me wrong. I think he is a place holder for this year then he is gone. He still has some skills like faeceoffs and I hope he can spend time with our centers (galchenyuk especially) and teach them how to win faceoffs. I hope he makes it through the year without any further damage to his eye. If he stays healthy he is a very good 4th line addition.

hmmm, injury capital of the nhl...any coincidence that we also have (until this year perhaps?) small forwards and no heavyweight fighter or tough guy badass defenseman? well, i'm hoping tinordi fills the latter..i think that it's highly probable why we're the injury capital

hmmm, injury capital of the nhl...any coincidence that we also have (until this year perhaps?) small forwards and no heavyweight fighter or tough guy badass defenseman? well, i'm hoping tinordi fills the latter..i think that it's highly probable why we're the injury capital

Yeah. I guess a goon or two would have avoided Koivu's eye injury, McLeary's throat incident, Chara's charge on Max Pac, Markov getting cut by Price's skate or Prust blowing his own shoulder in the board...

Answer is a big NO. Only scraps related injuries MAY have been avoided. But we all saw Parros getting ed. Could happen to any goon these days...

Aside from two seasons (08-09 and 11-12) Montreal is pretty average for injuries. Being without Markov at times was always half of our lost man games.

We also had 07-08 where we were incredibly healthy for the majority of it. We barely lost any man games.

Injuries in hockey are almost always accidents.

• Upvote 1

Getting back to the subject matter, I would rather see Galchenyuk on a line with Plex and Gallagher. He would get a ton more ice time and Plex deserves solid wingers for an entire season. That would be quite the second line for opposing teams to contend with; lots of speed, skill and a solid go-to-the-net mindset.

Aside from two seasons (08-09 and 11-12) Montreal is pretty average for injuries. Being without Markov at times was always half of our lost man games.

We also had 07-08 where we were incredibly healthy for the majority of it. We barely lost any man games.

Injuries in hockey are almost always accidents.

It's the repeated injuries to Koivu and especially Markov that traumatized us, I think. The Markov thing was ridiculous - we basically spent three seasons without the team's absolute lynchpin player, a shattering thing for any team to put up with. Thank heavens PK showed up when he did or the results would have been alarmingly worse.

Will be some interesting line combinations at camp and who knows maybe Galchenyuk will be confident enough to take on added duties backchecking and in own end and still make Tinordi or Bouillon look like pylons one-on-one.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Malhotra has left. He's the best fourth line center they've had in a long time.

Prust - Malholtra - Weise has the potential to be the best fourth line we've had in years.

Add in Bournival and Moen who may be our 13th/14th forwards and we have outstanding depth right now.

• Upvote 1

Prust - Malholtra - Weise has the potential to be the best fourth line we've had in years.

Add in Bournival and Moen who may be our 13th/14th forwards and we have outstanding depth right now.

It's good enough that it will upset me if Weise only plays on the fourth line. The kid makes good things happen, and prevents bad things from happening. I'm really hoping MT continues his playoff trend of rewarding Weise with extra shifts on other lines.

yeeesh (as I tug on my collar)..talk about going nowhere fast

To be fair, Tom Gilbert was in a similar situation two years ago, having to accept a pity contract from Florida.

To also be fair, Raphael Diaz, like Yannick Weber before him, was an overrated D-man who would get every excuse in the book for his play. It wasn't a Swiss thing. Same happened with Ryan O'Byrne and is looking to start with Magnus Nygren.

Getting back to the subject matter, I would rather see Galchenyuk on a line with Plex and Gallagher. He would get a ton more ice time and Plex deserves solid wingers for an entire season. That would be quite the second line for opposing teams to contend with; lots of speed, skill and a solid go-to-the-net mindset.

Galchenyuk has to play at centre. IMO it's where we really need to improve this year. We know what Plekanec can bring and it's not enough. DD has his limitations too. We only have one guy in the team who has the potential to become a bonafide first line centre and it's no. 27. The sooner we will give him the spot, the better it will be.

Galchenyuk has to play at centre. IMO it's where we really need to improve this year. We know what Plekanec can bring and it's not enough. DD has his limitations too. We only have one guy in the team who has the potential to become a bonafide first line centre and it's no. 27. The sooner we will give him the spot, the better it will be.

I'm all for this if he can pick up his defensive game and faceoff ability.

If Galchenyuk is losing more than 50% of his faceoffs it's fine if Malhotra is winning 60% or more of his. It's a perfect time to let Galchenyuk get as much practice as he needs. Galchenyuk loses some offensive zone faceoffs? It's okay when Malhotra can win the defensive zone faceoffs.

Faceoffs are one thing, defensive zone responsibility is another. The Galchenyuk I saw last year did not seem to be a complete enough player to trust with substantial minutes at C. However, with a player of his profile and youth, a lot can change in one summer. If he's showing real signs of taking that 'next step,' then by all means do it. If faceoffs + defensive play are still question-marks, then more seasoning may be what the doctor ordered. But I for one am willing to live with a mediocre faceoff % considering his upside.

Faceoffs are one thing, defensive zone responsibility is another. The Galchenyuk I saw last year did not seem to be a complete enough player to trust with substantial minutes at C. However, with a player of his profile and youth, a lot can change in one summer. If he's showing real signs of taking that 'next step,' then by all means do it. If faceoffs + defensive play are still question-marks, then more seasoning may be what the doctor ordered. But I for one am willing to live with a mediocre faceoff % considering his upside.

This is where it will be interesting to see if they have wingers take some draws in the preseason. If someone like Gallagher can show some improvement from his 37% last year, they may be more willing to live with the faceoff concerns. If Gallagher improves enough, he could take a couple of draws per game on his strong side, alleviating some of the faceoff responsibilities from Galchenyuk. (I suspect they might play those two together...)

Of course, they could put Eller on his wing and have him take (some of) the faceoffs. That might be the more likely scenario, presuming that Galchenyuk's defensive game has improved from last year.

Nothing says your center needs to take the faceoffs. If Galchenyuk centres Lars Eller on the wing, and his faceoff numbers are really that bad, Eller is a perfectly valid choice for taking the faceoffs.

To be fair, Tom Gilbert was in a similar situation two years ago, having to accept a pity contract from Florida.

To also be fair, Raphael Diaz, like Yannick Weber before him, was an overrated D-man who would get every excuse in the book for his play. It wasn't a Swiss thing. Same happened with Ryan O'Byrne and is looking to start with Magnus Nygren.

I cant understand how two players that havent even played one single regularseason game for the team yet can get so much hatred directed at them as Nygren and Sekac.