Galchenyuk at Center

Trizzak

If you don't give him the responsibility, he is sure not to improve those skills.

It's obviously not either/or. Let him take faceoffs, just not key faceoffs in key situations. Much as Therrien shelters DD from heavy defensive-zone starts, he can use a winger like Lars Eller to give Galchenyuk opportunity to learn this aspect of his trade without hurting the team.

The 'Eller-on-the-W' scenario assumes, of course, that Eller will not suck ass at W. I seem to recall him playing better at C than at W, but then again, if he was put on the W at any time other than his patented six weeks of excellence, it stands to reason that he'd look bad, since he looked bad for 85% of last season no matter where he was played.

It's obviously not either/or. Let him take faceoffs, just not key faceoffs in key situations. Much as Therrien shelters DD from heavy defensive-zone starts, he can use a winger like Lars Eller to give Galchenyuk opportunity to learn this aspect of his trade without hurting the team.

The 'Eller-on-the-W' scenario assumes, of course, that Eller will not suck ass at W. I seem to recall him playing better at C than at W, but then again, if he was put on the W at any time other than his patented six weeks of excellence, it stands to reason that he'd look bad, since he looked bad for 85% of last season no matter where he was played.

He was lousy on the wing. DD was good on the wing.

He was lousy on the wing. DD was good on the wing.

Not sure why DD on the wing isn't mooted more often. Perhaps it's his chemistry with Patches that protects him from such a move, leading to a reluctance to muck with the team's best offensive combo. And conversely, folks are probably more likely to talk about moving Eller around because Eller was so grindingly mediocre at C last season, unlike DD. But DD on the wing makes sense in principle, in that it would reduce the impact of his defensive-zone limitations while freeing up room at C for Galy.

Not sure why DD on the wing isn't mooted more often. Perhaps it's his chemistry with Patches that protects him from such a move, leading to a reluctance to muck with the team's best offensive combo. And conversely, folks are probably more likely to talk about moving Eller around because Eller was so grindingly mediocre at C last season, unlike DD. But DD on the wing makes sense in principle, in that it would reduce the impact of his defensive-zone limitations while freeing up room at C for Galy.

He played a lot of wing when he was first on the team in 2010-2011. I liked what I saw out of him, even if he was another small winger on a team inundated with them. It's a good option for the team going forward. Do you mean to tell me that a line of Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Desharnais isn't going to produce? (Not sure who plays defense, but what an offensive line)!

He played a lot of wing when he was first on the team in 2010-2011. I liked what I saw out of him, even if he was another small winger on a team inundated with them. It's a good option for the team going forward. Do you mean to tell me that a line of Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Desharnais isn't going to produce? (Not sure who plays defense, but what an offensive line)!

Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

• Upvote 1

Like many of you have mentioned, I think it's time to give Chucky as much time as possible playing centre. It's time. the Kid seems ready to me.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say..

Galchenyuk is unbelievable. No. I mean.. I literally, can not believe that the Canadiens have a player of this caliber.

Although, I wasn't impressed that he went back to his backhand on Emery. Kid's fantastic!

I have to say..

Galchenyuk is unbelievable. No. I mean.. I literally, can not believe that the Canadiens have a player of this caliber.

Although, I wasn't impressed that he went back to his backhand on Emery. Kid's fantastic!

Yep he is going to be something special.

Yeah, what's the rush? He and Pleks seem to be kicking ass. Leave it alone for the time being.

Galy is great, but I do find that he tries to stickhandle and make individual plays a bit too much - typical of a highly-skilled youngster, but I *would* like to see him use his linemates a tad more.

Guest Stogey24

Yeah, what's the rush? He and Pleks seem to be kicking ass. Leave it alone for the time being.

Galy is great, but I do find that he tries to stickhandle and make individual plays a bit too much - typical of a highly-skilled youngster, but I *would* like to see him use his linemates a tad more.

Watch when he tries to dangle, he leaves his knees so vulnerable. Random, but I've noticed it multiple times.

Watch when he tries to dangle, he leaves his knees so vulnerable. Random, but I've noticed it multiple times.

Yikes. I hadn't thought of that...

He does dangle too much. I'm surprised the coaches haven't beat it out of him. Or maybe they know he's a special talent and are willing to let him figure it out. But geez, I hope you're wrong about the knees.

Guest Stogey24

Yikes. I hadn't thought of that...

He does dangle too much. I'm surprised the coaches haven't beat it out of him. Or maybe they know he's a special talent and are willing to let him figure it out. But geez, I hope you're wrong about the knees.

Hopefully nothing to worry about. I do agree though that there may be a bit too much dangling on some plays. Like Lovette said though, he full of confidence right now. Gallagher has been on the quiet side though...

Guest Stogey24

Great talent indeed. I still believe that he should play centre. ASAP.

He needs to put up some solid numbers on the wing before anything. Especially since we have good depth up the middle, there's no reason to rush him. It'll come

I like the fact that Galchenyuk is playing with Plek so far obviously, but I think it's good to learn from a guy that's so good defensively, and also because Plek creates so many turn overs, Galchenyuk has the speed to turn those turnovers into a great scoring chance.

I'm in no hurry to see Galchenyuk at center.....he's learning from a complete player, one of the best these days, and definitely the Habs best.

• Upvote 1

I like the fact that Galchenyuk is playing with Plek so far obviously, but I think it's good to learn from a guy that's so good defensively, and also because Plek creates so many turn overs, Galchenyuk has the speed to turn those turnovers into a great scoring chance.

I'm in no hurry to see Galchenyuk at center.....he's learning from a complete player, one of the best these days, and definitely the Habs best.

The Habs are too conservative IMO regarding that position. I have seen them switching guys like Lafleur and Richer to the wing, even though they were great centers in the junior. They even wasted Wickenheiser that way (I suppose that there were other reasons, but you see the point). They could do that at the time, because they were already strong at that position. I don't believe they should do it with Chucky. Let the kid play at his natural position.

Tell me, when was the last time we had the chance to develop a bonafide, 1st rate, top notch NHL center? A guy who has the potential to figure among the 10 best scorers year after year. When?

I regret, but he won't learn his trade by playing on the wing. What he will learn is being comfortable playing on the wing. The more he will play a that position, the less he will be likely to become a center. He is so talented that he might have a good career anyway, but my opinion is that the best position for him, to truly unlock the full measure of his potential, is to play at center.

The Habs are too conservative IMO regarding that position. I have seen them switching guys like Lafleur and Richer to the wing, even though they were great centers in the junior. They even wasted Wickenheiser that way (I suppose that there were other reasons, but you see the point). They could do that at the time, because they were already strong at that position. I don't believe they should do it with Chucky. Let the kid play at his natural position.

Tell me, when was the last time we had the chance to develop a bonafide, 1st rate, top notch NHL center? A guy who has the potential to figure among the 10 best scorers year after year. When?

I regret, but he won't learn his trade by playing on the wing. What he will learn is being comfortable playing on the wing. The more he will play a that position, the less he will be likely to become a center. He is so talented that he might have a good career anyway, but my opinion is that the best position for him, to truly unlock the full measure of his potential, is to play at center.

lafleur was converted to wing, since he was struggling at centre. with more time, he may have adapted to the nhl game at centre. Galchanyuk really hasn't gotten the opportunity yet.

The less said about Stephanie the better - he was our last 50 goal scorer, but was a cream puff.

lafleur was converted to wing, since he was struggling at centre. with more time, he may have adapted to the nhl game at centre. Galchanyuk really hasn't gotten the opportunity yet.

The less said about Stephanie the better - he was our last 50 goal scorer, but was a cream puff.

Richer scored 50 or more twice. He totaled 819 points in his career, 412 goals. Not too shabby.

Richer had the tools to be a dominant, top-10 NHL player - and he was that player in 1988. Unfortunately, he was an emotional basket-case, suffering from depression, and ultimately lacked the will to realize his potential. So he settled in as an inconsistent secondary scorer and any team that relied on him to produce was in trouble. We made one of the great trades in modern habs' history to dump his useless ass for Muller, who (after Roy) was the lynchpin of the 1993 team; and then we made an execrable trade to get his useless ass back, dumping Odelein - a key team leader and tough defensive stalwart - for a player who brought little more than neuroses to the table. God, Houle was an idiot.

On Galchenyuk, people make a fetish out of the C position. We have a strong team with depth at C. There is no rush to put Galy there. Let him continue to develop his game. His development is not being hampered. The team is winning. What's the problem?

If you look at most top 10 centres......where they were drafted, not where Habs draft often and you normally don't get a top skilled centre with 17th or 20th pick.

And taking Price @#5 was worth it as it seems was Galchneyuk; who on a weaker team would likely be a centre already, but Habs are winning and he is playing great on wing so no hurry what so ever.

Not sure why many are so fixated on that?

If you look at most top 10 centres......where they were drafted, not where Habs draft often and you normally don't get a top skilled centre with 17th or 20th pick.

And taking Price @#5 was worth it as it seems was Galchneyuk; who on a weaker team would likely be a centre already, but Habs are winning and he is playing great on wing so no hurry what so ever.

Not sure why many are so fixated on that?

Many people in habs fandom believe the team will only go so far with Desharnais as the scoring center and Galchenyuk as a young winger.