Training Camp Thread

dlbalr

Doesn't make much sense indeed. Scherbak has great skills obviously and his attitude is fantastic. He just has to learn the game. IMO he is so talented that I believe he is a sure bet to make the team in a year or two at the most.

Speculation based off the fact he got cut today. Everything i've read or heard has been positive about Scherbak.

There ain't no doubt he has some serious developing to do. But he has the offensive upside. He can learn the defense. It's goona take a while though. Even at 18, it's quite possible to show a lot more defensively. He needs to make some decisions about what he wants to be, or he will never play in the NHL. I am surprised about his lack of defensive IQ, as his Jr. coach, Mollekin (spelling?) usually develops pretty solid two way hockey players or at least guys with a good sense of what is required.

There ain't no doubt he has some serious developing to do. But he has the offensive upside. He can learn the defense. It's goona take a while though. Even at 18, it's quite possible to show a lot more defensively. He needs to make some decisions about what he wants to be, or he will never play in the NHL. I am surprised about his lack of defensive IQ, as his Jr. coach, Mollekin (spelling?) usually develops pretty solid two way hockey players or at least guys with a good sense of what is required.

Molleken wasn't the coach last season with Saskatoon. After the 2013 Memorial Cup 'run', he stepped down to become just the GM and his assistant coach took over as the head coach last year. (Both were fired last March.)

Andrighetto & Thomas have played well in pre season?

Both have played well, and Thomas actually quite excellent... both look to have tremendous offensive potential fo' sho'

Both can really fire a puck, but can they do it at highest level and produce?

Sounds like Sekac already has Calder trophy won and continues to impress; so de la Rose, Bournival or Moan have slim chance of cracking opening day roster.

Guest Stogey24

Both can really fire a puck, but can they do it at highest level and produce?

Sounds like Sekac already has Calder trophy won and continues to impress; so de la Rose, Bournival or Moan have slim chance of cracking opening day roster.

Bournival has looked really, but With the lack of grit in line up, you have to think Moen will be on the opening night roster

I said Sekac would start year in Hamilton, but wouldnt be first time was wrong (I would of given away DD for proverbial 'bag of pucks' last fall also).

I said Sekac would start year in Hamilton, but wouldnt be first time was wrong (I would of given away DD for proverbial 'bag of pucks' last fall also).

I think most of us would have welcomed seeing him kicking stones down the road. :)

5 more cut:

D - Pateryn, Drewiske*

F - Andrighetto, Dowell, Dumont*

(* - on waivers)

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=732705

29 players left in camp:

G (3) - Price, Budaj, Tokarski

D (9)- Subban, Emelin, Markov, Gilbert, Weaver, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Bouillon, Dietz

F (17)- Pacioretty, Desharnais, Parenteau, Galchenyuk, Plekanec, Gallagher, Bourque, Eller, Sekac, Prust, Malhotra, Weise, Moen, Bournival, Thomas, de la Rose, Bowman

Apparently Bowman isn't skating today due to being in contract negotiations. Usually that's what agents are for but okay.

Talks didn't go well with Bowman evidently, he has now been released. Down to 28 now in camp. I'm guessing they wanted him to take a two-way deal and he wasn't up for that.

It is a pretty crowded field, he must think he has a better shot somewhere else. He had some moments where he looked good.

It is a pretty crowded field, he must think he has a better shot somewhere else. He had some moments where he looked good.

His track record doesn't lend itself well to latching on with a guaranteed deal elsewhere in the NHL but he did play well this preseason. Maybe he has a European offer lined up, who knows?

His track record doesn't lend itself well to latching on with a guaranteed deal elsewhere in the NHL but he did play well this preseason. Maybe he has a European offer lined up, who knows?

Gotta be careful with that. Several KHL teams are partly owned by individuals upon whom there are some rather stiff political sanctions right now. As an American, it is currently outright illegal for Drayson Bowman to engage in commerce with SKA St. Petersburg, Moscow Dynamo, Avangard Omsk, CSKA "Red Army" Moscow. Many other KHL teams have partial ownership from sanctioned individuals, and are in a legally cloudy situation.

Reading through some of the post-practice quotes, it seems as if the 7th D spot is a youngsters' to lose. If neither of Tinordi or Dietz (who will play at least one of the two upcoming games vs Ottawa) earn the spot, then they'll sign Bouillon. Therrien noted it's not an audition for Bouillon.

Reading through some of the post-practice quotes, it seems as if the 7th D spot is a youngsters' to lose. If neither of Tinordi or Dietz (who will play at least one of the two upcoming games vs Ottawa) earn the spot, then they'll sign Bouillon. Therrien noted it's not an audition for Bouillon.

That's how it should be.

We know what Bouillon brings to the team. Love him or hate him, he's reliable and effective, but he's never going to be more than he is, and he's 38 years old. The kids... they MIGHT be better. We're counting on it. They just need to be good enough right now to play at the NHL level. If they're not, we've got Bouillon in reserve.

What I don't get... is Pateryn was the only kid on defense that looked better than Bouillon right now in every game he played. Yet he's in Hamilton. Sure, he lacks Beaulieu's potential (and as yet, unrealized) offensive upside, and he lacks Tinordi's sheer bulk, but he was consistent and reliable and didn't scare me whenever the puck came near him in his own end. That's rare for a rookie defender.

That's how it should be.

We know what Bouillon brings to the team. Love him or hate him, he's reliable and effective, but he's never going to be more than he is, and he's 38 years old. The kids... they MIGHT be better. We're counting on it. They just need to be good enough right now to play at the NHL level. If they're not, we've got Bouillon in reserve.

What I don't get... is Pateryn was the only kid on defense that looked better than Bouillon right now in every game he played. Yet he's in Hamilton. Sure, he lacks Beaulieu's potential (and as yet, unrealized) offensive upside, and he lacks Tinordi's sheer bulk, but he was consistent and reliable and didn't scare me whenever the puck came near him in his own end. That's rare for a rookie defender.

Totally agree, Pateryn looked like the most NHL ready, at least in terms of a balanced game, nothing spectacular, but solid all round for the most part.