Training Camp Thread

dlbalr

I have heard Swiss is not an easy language to learn. From the misquotes we hear from journalists around here apparently english or french isn't either. :)

I think they speak german and french in switzerland. In sweden its swedish though. :D

I think they speak german and french in switzerland. In sweden its swedish though. :D

My bad trying to make joke gotta learn to read first.

Practice groups, including who's playing in Quebec tonight. Spoiler alert: It ain't pretty.

ByeG8NCIYAAyKNh.jpg

Wow gonna be interesting to see how the bulldogs do aginst the Avalanche.

Neat that Therrien is trying DD without Patches or Parenteau.

What are the * for?

I think the asterisks are for players who aren't practising today.

Why wouldn't they put Galchenyuk back in to give him reps at centre?

He doesn't have to play every game. It's largely an entirely new lineup tonight, save for the four players who have asterisks beside them. He'll probably play the next one.

Lots of criticism today on radio here in Quebec regarding tonight's line up. Well, somebody should remind them that's training camp.. Of course, tickets prices are major league, which explains the disappointment. Still, training camp is the time to give a shot at the young guys. No surprise about that.

Did you watch the game last night? He looked seriously out of place

Indeed. Looked like a 18yo :)

But I meant, it's great that they give them a long look instead of just returning him in the juniors right away. They keep him with the A team and he can learn how to be a pro watching Markov, Galchenyuk and other pros.

Guest Stogey24

Indeed. Looked like a 18yo :)

But I meant, it's great that they give them a long look instead of just returning him in the juniors right away. They keep him with the A team and he can learn how to be a pro watching Markov, Galchenyuk and other pros.

True. I'm pretty sure he got traded in the W though. I figured they'd get him back as fast as possible to get settled in

jiri sekac has already made this team..... i'd go out on a limb, judging from the 3 games I've watched him play (1 inter squad game), he is one of our better forwards (i know 3 preseason games does not make a career) BUT, he doesn't look or play like a rookie, not in the least bit. His puck possession skills are fantastic at 22yrs old, he is very hard to knock off the puck, seems he's studied film from another super czech (jagr) in this regard..... his poise with the puck, hockey IQ, big body and demeanour on the ice are clearly above average. Not to mention he is already in the best shape of all habs.....

it will be interesting to see over the coming weeks if he's able to hold up against the leagues best opposition playing alongside plex and his shut down role. if so, mark bergevin landed a diamond!

Guest Stogey24

jiri sekac has already made this team..... i'd go out on a limb, judging from the 3 games I've watched him play (1 inter squad game), he is one of our better forwards (i know 3 preseason games does not make a career) BUT, he doesn't look or play like a rookie, not in the least bit. His puck possession skills are fantastic at 22yrs old, he is very hard to knock off the puck, seems he's studied film from another super czech (jagr) in this regard..... his poise with the puck, hockey IQ, big body and demeanour on the ice are clearly above average. Not to mention he is already in the best shape of all habs.....

it will be interesting to see over the coming weeks if he's able to hold up against the leagues best opposition playing alongside plex and his shut down role. if so, mark bergevin landed a diamond!

Imagine him turning into a top line forward. That gives us some serious depth

Found this story regarding Sekac:

Marc Bergevin was telling the story of Rick Dudley being sent to see him play, after the Habs European scout raved about him. Mr. Dudley called halfway during the first period, and the GM asked him Shouldnt you be watching the game?

Apparently Rick Dudley replied: Ive seen enough. You do what you have to do to sign him.

Interesting to see Drewiske getting some props. I've always been slightly fuddled by the fact that we acquired him and then basically let him ride the pine even in moments when we clearly could have used a rugged defenceman with size (e.g., the series against Ottawa two years ago). I know he's been hurt for a huge stretch of time, but it still seems odds to me. All I could figure was that he really is awful. But then, why acquire him in the first place?

Looking ahead to tomorrow vs Washington, it looks as if the Caps will have a predominantly NHL roster. A quick look at their roster shows eight NHL forwards (out of 14 forwards listed), four NHL d-men, and both their #1 and #2 goalies. I'd expect Montreal's lineup to have a lot more regulars than it did on Friday.

If you looked at today's camp roster, you'll probably notice a few players missing - in particular: Nevins, Thrower, Finley, Momesso, Eberle, and Wardley. Rumblings are that Thrower had surgery early in the week and will miss a month while Eberle is playing in Moose Jaw tonight which means he has been cut.

And down to 35 players we go:

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=732132

Notable cuts include Scherbak, Hudon and Nygren.

Still in camp:

G - Price, Budaj, Tokarski, MacDonald (pending waivers)

D - Subban, Emelin, Markov, Gilbert, Weaver, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Pateryn, Drewiske, Bouillon, Dietz

F - Pacioretty, Desharnais, Parenteau, Galchenyuk, Plekanec, Gallagher, Bourque, Eller, Sekac, Prust, Malhotra, Weise, Moen, Bournival, Thomas, de la Rose, Dumont, Andrighetto, Bowman, Dowell

Why? Is there any truth to this or is Shannon just stirring the pot? From all accounts I read Sherback performed decently at camp.

John Shannon on Scherbak-"Quietly, they were disappointed with the first round pick..."

A couple days ago, Bob McKenzie was saying that they were surprised at how good Scherbak already was.

I'll take Bob McKenzie as an insider over Shannon every time, especially with watching Scherbak in camp and how well he played. He was very good for an 18 year old, late first round pick.