2014-15 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

Looks like there are some pretty serious talks about the idea of publicity (ads) on the jerseys, just like soccer or CFL football.

The writing was on the wall the moment jerseys weren't allowed to be tucked in, IMO.

Looks like there are some pretty serious talks about the idea of publicity (ads) on the jerseys, just like soccer or CFL football.

I am going to buy a jersey that is overpriced and walk around and advertise someone else's product? Where is my cut? As a fan, i just register a protest by simply refusing to buy the jersey. I don't believe the players or the owners are in such desperate straits that they have to whore the jerseys.

I am going to buy a jersey that is overpriced and walk around and advertise someone else's product? Where is my cut? As a fan, i just register a protest by simply refusing to buy the jersey. I don't believe the players or the owners are in such desperate straits that they have to whore the jerseys.

They don't. They are also not in desperate straits to sell the name of their arenas, pack their arena concession stands with terrible fast food and use graphic overlays on the glass, not to mention how just about every player gets some form of sponsorship deal.

But we like to think that sports are about tradition and legacy when in reality, the day the Cup changed from an amateur challenge cup to a professional challenge cup? Hockey was never about the sport and always about corporate/private interests. They didn't put helmets on players until the 80s because back in the 20s, the owners complained that women wouldn't goto the games if the men had helmets on. At one point three teams (Chicago/Boston/Detroit) were owned by one family. Harold Ballard tried to sell more game programs by removing numbers from player sweaters (he only got to do it for one game). The league has been chasing a national deal since the 70s. Hockey organizations (the Habs especially are 75% Molson, 15% Bell) are really just another trademark logo to throw on merchandise to sell to you. You won't buy this 15 cent t-shirt? Here's a Habs logo and Price's name on the back. $29.99 plus shipping.

99% of the game is about selling you something, with the 1% being that sweaters just have their makers logos on them. You know why the NHL stopped allowing tucking? Because they always wanted to do this. Are you really going to complain about the 1% they haven't sold you on yet when you accepted being a consumer for 99% of the experience?

They don't. They are also not in desperate straits to sell the name of their arenas, pack their arena concession stands with terrible fast food and use graphic overlays on the glass, not to mention how just about every player gets some form of sponsorship deal.

But we like to think that sports are about tradition and legacy when in reality, the day the Cup changed from an amateur challenge cup to a professional challenge cup? Hockey was never about the sport and always about corporate/private interests. They didn't put helmets on players until the 80s because back in the 20s, the owners complained that women wouldn't goto the games if the men had helmets on. At one point three teams (Chicago/Boston/Detroit) were owned by one family. Harold Ballard tried to sell more game programs by removing numbers from player sweaters (he only got to do it for one game). The league has been chasing a national deal since the 70s. Hockey organizations (the Habs especially are 75% Molson, 15% Bell) are really just another trademark logo to throw on merchandise to sell to you. You won't buy this 15 cent t-shirt? Here's a Habs logo and Price's name on the back. $29.99 plus shipping.

99% of the game is about selling you something, with the 1% being that sweaters just have their makers logos on them. You know why the NHL stopped allowing tucking? Because they always wanted to do this. Are you really going to complain about the 1% they haven't sold you on yet when you accepted being a consumer for 99% of the experience?

I would argue that it is not out of our control, if we just refuse to buy jerseys

Well I guess the first 'largish' logo for Habs Jersey would be Molson (and before that would likely of been Gilette for a few years)

And they would sell, not all will avoid buying simply for principle, at a minimum some kids will want em and parents would by em. :money:

I would argue that it is not out of our control, if we just refuse to buy jerseys

The league will do what Europe does: sells a sweater with ads and sells a sweater without ads.

Kids will grow up wanting to wear the exact same sweater the players do: with ads.

Sharks trade Jason Demers and a 2016 3rd to Dallas for Brendon Dillon. This is what Dallas is using their extra cap space from the Gonchar-Moen deal on? Clearly they're thinking Demers' 34 point season last year was a sign of things to come; I'm not so sure about that myself. I like the deal for SJ as they begin to shake things up a little. Dillon's not having the best of years either but is a cheaper and younger fit for the role he'll get with the Sharks (essentially replacing Demers as a 4/5 d-man).

Edit: Sharks retain 35% of Demers' cap hit. That makes a bit more sense then; at $2.21 M, Dallas still keeps some of that cap space from the Gonchar trade.

In other Dallas news, Jason Spezza gets a 4 year, $30 M extension. When you consider his cap hit is $7 M now and the fact the cap has gone up a lot since that deal was done, I don't mind that deal. There's always a risk with his back but him and Seguin as the top two centres is a solid foundation to move forward with.

The streak is over...after more than six weeks of the season, someone not named Cory Schneider will start in goal for New Jersey tonight (Scott Clemmensen). Schneider started 20 straight games, breaking the franchise record for most consecutive starts. Curiously, Schneider finally gets a rest after posting a shutout.

There isn't a team right now I enjoy seeing lose more than the Ottawa Senators.

Not because of their fans or players or anything... but because they are that wonderful, beautiful example of an anomaly in a system.

Since the lockout, the Senators are supposed to be that team that's way better than they look. When they beat the Habs, it was supposed to be obvious since they play a possession game way better than other East teams. A lot of the early advanced stats adopters (the ones who never admit it when asked but totally see the game as possess puck and win) said the Ottawa Senators were supposed to be a top team in the league last year.

That didn't happen.

This year with Ryan signed and the goaltending healthy, the Sens possession game was supposed to help them break out of the pack and be an East contender. While goaltending has kept pucks out, the offence just isn't there. Even worse is that Erik Karlsson is turning into Mike Green. He's so bad at defence even Sens fans are starting to say he should move to forward. He's absolutely inept at playing in his own end and he's their best blueliner.

The Senators aren't a bad team by any means but they are nowhere near as good as people thought a possession game would advance them. They are likely to miss the playoffs in the worst place possible: outside of the top three division leaders and outside of the wildcard spot.

I take more joy out of that than any other teams positioning. Not because it's not impossible to have teams like this (the smartest in the room know that possession without finish is useless) but because some truly believe that if you have the puck, you're gonna win. The Sens kill that theory.

Martin Brodeur gets a tryout with St. Louis. This comes with Brian Elliott being listed as out week-to-week. Knowing the second bit makes this a bit puzzling, why bring Brodeur in when the starter isn't supposed to be out all that long?