Borkless at the Bell Centre. Jets vs. Habs 7:30PM EST (RDS, SNE, TSN3)

He is starting to remind me of Yannic Perreault, of course that management had the good sense to get him off the ice once he took the faceoff.

Except Desharnais is a top 6 forward offensively on any team in the league, and more than competent defensively. This is a reliable 50+ point per year guy who will always perform and always give you everything. I never saw that out of Perreault.

If Therrien let me juggle the lines:

ES

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher

Galchenyuk - Desharnais - Parenteau

Sekac - Eller - Prust

Bowman - Malhotra - Weise

Tinordi - Subban

Markov - Emelin/Gonchar

Beaulieu - Weaver/Gilbert

PP

Beaulieu - Subban

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Sekac

Markov - Gilbert/Gonchar

PK

Pacioretty - Plekanec

Emelin - Weaver/Gilbert

Prust - Eller

Markov - Subban

Except Desharnais is a top 6 forward offensively on any team in the league, and more than competent defensively. This is a reliable 50+ point per year guy who will always perform and always give you everything. I never saw that out of Perreault.

You can believe what you want to believe. i see similar numbers to Perreault. A consistent 50pt per year guy is a bit of a stretch according to db.com.. He was considered a defensive liability not to long ago. I would agree that he gives it his all. What i will not agree is that his all is good enough to date, considering the prime time he gets.

If Therrien let me juggle the lines:

ES

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher

Sekac - Eller - Prust

Bowman - Malhotra - Weise

Tinordi - Subban

Markov - Emelin/Gonchar

Beaulieu - Weaver/Gilbert

PP

Beaulieu - Subban

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Sekac

Markov - Gilbert/Gonchar

PK

Pacioretty - Plekanec

Emelin - Weaver/Gilbert

Prust - Eller

Markov - Subban

I like you putting Tinordi on 1st pairing and trying to sneek 8 d-men onto bench, but both are not happening and for good reasons.

He's best comparable to Derek Roy.

That'd be a comparison I'd be VERY happy with, if it pans out.

Roy went from 46 points in his breakout year, to 63 the next, then 81 (with 32 goals!), 70 and 69 - all on a terrible Buffalo Sabres team. Roy has slowed down now, though.

I like the guy, but I wouldn't put Desharnais' upside anywhere close to that. And it doesn't need to be. He's been a solid 0.67 points per game for three years straight (without a lot of variation, either - 0.74 in 2012, 0.58 in 2013, and 0.66 in 2014 - his deviation off that average is less than 0.06 points per game over three years). He's a reliable point in 2 out of 3 games. Again, that's a top 6 forward on any team in the league.

Comparable doesn't mean exact.

No, but for 4 seasons, Roy was a first line forward on almost any team in the league, getting 63-81 points a season. I don't see Desharnais ever having quite that star status.

I think Non-Bourque Habs are 3-0, coincidence? :blush:

I certainly don't think it's a coincidence. You can clearly see that Eller is playing like he's got a load off his shoulders now that he doesn't have to drag Bourque around on his shoulders!

I certainly don't think it's a coincidence. You can clearly see that Eller is playing like he's got a load off his shoulders now that he doesn't have to drag Bourque around on his shoulders!

Color me cautiously optimistic. Eller has not found ways to endear himself to me, but if this Sekac/Eller combination keeps showing up on boxscores, I'm going to change my mind.

Color me cautiously optimistic. Eller has not found ways to endear himself to me, but if this Sekac/Eller combination keeps showing up on boxscores, I'm going to change my mind.

To my mind, this is sort of Eller's last (or maybe second-last) chance to prove that he can amount to more than a forgettable mediocrity. He's got a line with a young, talented, physical forward who should bring enthusiasm and some creativity, along with a seasoned veteran who gets his nose dirty and radiates leadership and integrity on the ice. The line is showing chemistry. Does this mean Eller is getting set up for one of his patented 3-week-long hot streaks where he gets everyone excited about his potential, then reverts to his usual humdrum indifference? Or is this Eller getting set for bona-fide takeoff as a player who can actually make a meaningful difference in some of his games on a regular basis? Talk to me again in March, then we'll know.

It's kinda interesting to me how many are jumping about last nights game being great for Eller when his goal was a gift from Sekac. Sekac has been the driving force of that line. At this point it's Sekac making Eller look good, certainly not the other way around. They do play well together but I've yet to see Eller make a commanding play and be happy that Sekac can finish it. So far it's just Sekac making commanding plays and Eller being allowed to finish.

I have a bad feeling that PK spent too much time on his big contract and making the media rounds this summer. He doesn't look focused or as hungry to prove himself as past years. This might turn out to be a career worse season for him if he can't get it together soon.

He doesn't look good, but even with playing as poorly as he has, he's on pace for a 45-50 point season. He stinks right now, but I have confidence in him to shine when it counts. We could all be looking for PK to regress because of his contract. Maybe the bleu-blanc-et rouge glasses are coming off for all of us.

It's kinda interesting to me how many are jumping about last nights game being great for Eller when his goal was a gift from Sekac. Sekac has been the driving force of that line. At this point it's Sekac making Eller look good, certainly not the other way around. They do play well together but I've yet to see Eller make a commanding play and be happy that Sekac can finish it. So far it's just Sekac making commanding plays and Eller being allowed to finish.

certainly not eh!

same as EGG line was Galchenyuk-Gallagher carrying lazy ol Eller up and down the ice

That'd be a comparison I'd be VERY happy with, if it pans out.

Roy went from 46 points in his breakout year, to 63 the next, then 81 (with 32 goals!), 70 and 69 - all on a terrible Buffalo Sabres team. Roy has slowed down now, though.

I like the guy, but I wouldn't put Desharnais' upside anywhere close to that. And it doesn't need to be. He's been a solid 0.67 points per game for three years straight (without a lot of variation, either - 0.74 in 2012, 0.58 in 2013, and 0.66 in 2014 - his deviation off that average is less than 0.06 points per game over three years). He's a reliable point in 2 out of 3 games. Again, that's a top 6 forward on any team in the league.

Top six yes. But how many number one centers put up less points than DD.

I like the guy personally, He lit it up here in Hamilton and still owns the record for most points in a season by a Bulldog. However, he is not a serious number one center. Habs are making due with little DD till they finally get one. Chucky has been turned into a permanent winger apparently.

You can believe what you want to believe. i see similar numbers to Perreault. A consistent 50pt per year guy is a bit of a stretch according to db.com.. He was considered a defensive liability not to long ago. I would agree that he gives it his all. What i will not agree is that his all is good enough to date, considering the prime time he gets.

agreed

Top six yes. But how many number one centers put up less points than DD.

I like the guy personally, He lit it up here in Hamilton and still owns the record for most points in a season by a Bulldog. However, he is not a serious number one center. Habs are making due with little DD till they finally get one. Chucky has been turned into a permanent winger apparently.

There is no question that DD is not a legitimate #1 C. And I think we can all agree that Galchenyuk probably projects to end up in that role, although you never know - he may end up remaining on LW, anything is possible.

I defend Desharnais, not as a #1C, but as a useful (and high-character) playmaking centreman on a balanced attack. (People who rag on his modest goal-scoring are missing the point, of course). Like I say, I don't think the Habs are really built to succeed on the basis of a traditional "#1 line" model, but rather on a three-line model, where Pleks, Eller, and DD roll out as more-or-less comparable threats shift by shift and overwhelm teams with that depth. In that context, DD has value.

Galchenyuk may end up supplanting DD, although there is also a possibility that he will end up supplanting Pleks, who would then take on the third-line role behind Galy and DD with Eller the odd man out. Again, more than one future configuration is possible.

At day's end, I don't really understand why anyone would fume about Desharnais, a limited but gutsy player who has overcome all the odds to be an effective NHLer. He's playing an important role and has earned our respect.

• Upvote 1