Tom Gilbert Isn't Getting the Job Done

Lovett's Magnatones

Lol, crap. I wrote a big post but somehow screwed it up and deleted it. The gist of it was that we all want Tinordi and NB to succeed but the people that are in the position to evaluate such a thing don't believe they are quite there yet. They picked up Allen to replace Tinordi and Gonchar to replace NB. This team is built on the belief that they can win the cup, so they are doing what they feel is best to achieve that. My original post was much better but I'm too pissed to try to write it again

F'in A sir.

cheers

I have few worries about bottom 2 or 3 d-men, all more or less under control and smaller issue than scoring by top 9 forwards being weak again this year.

After this whole hoopla about playing the kids on D and so forth, nobody even thinks of mentioning how the 2 deals for allen and gonchar essentially free'd up 2 spots in the line up for young guys like sekac now a staple on this team as he should be and another for a bournival (andrighetto, tangradi, bowman recently).

so we have gotten younger up front with exception of the defence getting more experienced... i think gonchar has been a welcome addition as well. we tend to forget that gilbert is playing a #5 role now... hardly, the reason for our struggles.

the real issues.... SCORING

-a struggling power play to go along with being one the most penalized teams and not drawing many ourselves.... and a team offence thats just horrible at times.

-sekac, paranteau, DD, eller, plex, galchenyuk and gallagher really have to start contributing on the scoresheet at a more regular clip.

- gonchar needs to step up with some secondary scoring to assist subban and markov on the back end.

Carey Price's record when the habs score 3or more is astonishing!

• Upvote 1

MB made the deals to move the exess baggage upfront, since MB was going with known veteran junk (Bourque), over young unknown skill (Secak). Unfortunately, we find ourselves eith the same issue on the blue line. I liked all odd thd deals he's made - gonchar has been better than I thought, but Allan belongs in Hamilton, and weaver and Gilbert should be rotating in he press box.

After this whole hoopla about playing the kids on D and so forth, nobody even thinks of mentioning how the 2 deals for allen and gonchar essentially free'd up 2 spots in the line up for young guys like sekac now a staple on this team as he should be and another for a bournival (andrighetto, tangradi, bowman recently).

so we have gotten younger up front with exception of the defence getting more experienced... i think gonchar has been a welcome addition as well. we tend to forget that gilbert is playing a #5 role now... hardly, the reason for our struggles.

-a struggling power play to go along with being one the most penalized teams and not drawing many ourselves.... and a team offence thats just horrible at times.

-sekac, paranteau, DD, eller, plex, galchenyuk and gallagher really have to start contributing on the scoresheet at a more regular clip.

- gonchar needs to step up with some secondary scoring to assist subban and markov on the back end.

Most of those situations are so bad, that bringing in young players will only get them used to a losing culture. Edmonton should've sent back their 1st rounder after 9 games and should send him back now, because pretty much every one of thee young players are regressing. So, who is actually going to teach or be an example to their young Dmen?? The malfunction man ferance certainly doesn't have the character to teach kids.

We've got Markov an now Tinordi to show these kids how to play and how to be a pro. Why not take advantage of that??

I think Eakins is one of the few coaches that is actually worse than MT and the canes, oilers and sabres have done a horrible job developing players for years. I really feel for the mess that Nolan walked into.

So if they're not contending, why not play the young guys? That's a common sentiment on here. Clearly those teams also see value in letting those prospects play big minutes in the minors over depth duty in the NHL, just like Montreal. And as I said, those four I noted weren't the only ones in those situations either so it's not a matter of it being mostly bad teams doing that.

Guest Stogey24

Most of those situations are so bad, that bringing in young players will only get them used to a losing culture. Edmonton should've sent back their 1st rounder after 9 games and should send him back now, because pretty much every one of thee young players are regressing. So, who is actually going to teach or be an example to their young Dmen?? The malfunction man ferance certainly doesn't have the character to teach kids.

We've got Markov an now Tinordi to show these kids how to play and how to be a pro. Why not take advantage of that??

I think Eakins is one of the few coaches that is actually worse than MT and the canes, oilers and sabres have done a horrible job developing players for years. I really feel for the mess that Nolan walked into.

Tyler Myers has taken a major leap in the wrong direction. He has some serious talent, that's a guy I'd love to see on Montreal's blue line

Lol, crap. I wrote a big post but somehow screwed it up and deleted it. The gist of it was that we all want Tinordi and NB to succeed but the people that are in the position to evaluate such a thing don't believe they are quite there yet. They picked up Allen to replace Tinordi and Gonchar to replace NB. This team is built on the belief that they can win the cup, so they are doing what they feel is best to achieve that. My original post was much better but I'm too pissed to try to write it again

lol.... so i'm not the only one that does that.

strongly disagree on "built to won the cup belief"

first line center - Desharnais

second line center - Plekanic

third d - Emelin

fourth d - Gonchar

fifth d - your pick of healthy scratch players

sixth d - same as fifth d

if thats a stanley cup contender, well then its one of twenty five

And there you have it in a nutshell. :halm:

And there you have it in a nutshell. :halm:

sums it up pretty well.

so playing dd (2 goals) with Pacs on the pp each and every powerplay would not be a way to get more scoring i would assume.

trying a different approach might be strongly suggested.

glachenyuk playing with plekanic ? nah

galchenyuk at center...........what does he need and other 150 games on wing first?

Tyler Myers has taken a major leap in the wrong direction. He has some serious talent, that's a guy I'd love to see on Montreal's blue line

He's a guy i was saying we should have tried to pick up last year and would love to see him on the habs second pairing.

He's a guy i was saying we should have tried to pick up last year and would love to see him on the habs second pairing.

Would be great on habs second pair. But dream on i guess. With cap restrictions there are a select few teams out of thirty thaat could have a player like myers on the second pairing. Two top notch D per team....to fill out the 2nd and 3rd pairings, Plan A. good young guys. Plan B. fading band aid vets.

sums it up pretty well.

so playing dd (2 goals) with Pacs on the pp each and every powerplay would not be a way to get more scoring i would assume.

trying a different approach might be strongly suggested.

glachenyuk playing with plekanic ? nah

galchenyuk at center...........what does he need and other 150 games on wing first?

Do you ever get tired of writing the same three or four posts ten times a day?

Do you ever get tired of writing the same three or four posts ten times a day?

lol.. well when others are talking about the same thing .... its hockey, how many different ways can ya talk about lack of scoring without repeating yourself.

heres one................hey can they get crosby and stampkos to address the lack of scoring that EVERYBODY is talking about.

and expecting flurries tomorrow

Would be great on habs second pair. But dream on i guess. With cap restrictions there are a select few teams out of thirty thaat could have a player like myers on the second pairing. Two top notch D per team....to fill out the 2nd and 3rd pairings, Plan A. good young guys. Plan B. fading band aid vets.

he doesn't cost much more than Emelin. I would have preferred dealing for him than bringing in Gilbert.

lol.. well when others are talking about the same thing .... its hockey, how many different ways can ya talk about lack of scoring without repeating yourself.

heres one................hey can they get crosby and stampkos to address the lack of scoring that EVERYBODY is talking about.

and expecting flurries tomorrow

That would be nice, I imagine it wouldn't cost more than DD, Beaulieu and a first!

really? I would have thought the pay difference between those two would have been large

Myers makes about $1.5M more than Emelin, thanks to a long-term front-loaded deal. Take away the money wasted on one of the habs 7th dmen and 1 of the 3 extra 4th liners and you can afford Myers.

The rumour is that when the Detroit Red Wings asked about Tyler Myers, the Buffalo Sabres requested two first round picks to get the conversation going.

that was this year, after myers showed signs of improving. Last year, the price was reportedly a 1st and a prospect. Gorges, DD and a 2015 1st round pick may have gotten things done last summer.

• 3 months later...