Jan. 14, Montreal vs Columbus, 7 PM

dlbalr

Big, big win. First, it stops any narrative of the Habs being in a slump - this is psychologically important, because once the "slump" mentality sets in, it's a grind to get out of it. Second, the damn finally burst on the PP. IF they can draw confidence and inspiration from that, then one of the major missing elements will finally fall into place and this team will be even harder to beat.

I think it's time to give some credit to Beaulieu. The kid has been playing some solid smart hockey lately. Hopefully the points follow

This is a HUGE factor in Montreal's success. If he can continue playing this well, and Emelin can wake up, I will have less concern about the defense.

Guest Stogey24

This is a HUGE factor in Montreal's success. If he can continue playing this well, and Emelin can wake up, I will have less concern about the defense.

Yup, Emelin had a better game last night. The thing is he's done this so many times this year. He'll have a solid night, next game he shits the bed. I don't know what's going on with him

I think it's time to give some credit to Beaulieu. The kid has been playing some solid smart hockey lately. Hopefully the points follow

Been crediting him all season. But yes he has been doing it game in game out since cracking the top four. He will only get better. What some dont realize (yet) is he is tough as nails with a mean streak as well as talented.

Big, big win. First, it stops any narrative of the Habs being in a slump - this is psychologically important, because once the "slump" mentality sets in, it's a grind to get out of it. Second, the damn finally burst on the PP. IF they can draw confidence and inspiration from that, then one of the major missing elements will finally fall into place and this team will be even harder to beat.

yep

Been crediting him all season. But yes he has been doing it game in game out since cracking the top four. He will only get better. What some dont realize (yet) is he is tough as nails with a mean streak as well as talented.

Yeah, I noticed that he seems like he has a mean streak, and I'm pleasantly surprised at his physicality...

Yeah it's not like Plekanec has more points than Duchene, Nugent-Hopkins, Landesgog, Eberle, Jagr, Eric Staal, Vanek, James Neal, Oshie, Brad Richards, Stastny, Huberdeau, Koivu, Doan... I don't know, the list goes on. How many of those players would you trade Plekanec for? My guess is that a lot of those trades look enticing. I'm not going to argue either way but he has more points than all those players and offense isn't even his strength. I know that's basically the issue to some but he's also not that weak at offense when you compare him to others. Most of whom are one dimensional for the most part to boot. He also has the same amount of points as the player who some want to be our first line center right now. If you look at Plekanec from a league wide standpoint, one could see how he'd be enticing to other teams himself. Some might say we should take advantage of that reality, but I'd rather have him on my team.

Yeah it's not like Plekanec has more points than Duchene, Nugent-Hopkins, Landesgog, Eberle, Jagr, Eric Staal, Vanek, James Neal, Oshie, Brad Richards, Stastny, Huberdeau, Koivu, Doan... I don't know, the list goes on. How many of those players would you trade Plekanec for? My guess is that a lot of those trades look enticing. I'm not going to argue either way but he has more points than all those players and offense isn't even his strength. I know that's basically the issue to some but he's also not that weak at offense when you compare him to others. Most of whom are one dimensional for the most part to boot. He also has the same amount of points as the player who some want to be our first line center right now. If you look at Plekanec from a league wide standpoint, one could see how he'd be enticing to other teams himself. Some might say we should take advantage of that reality, but I'd rather have him on my team.

pitch: Number one non physical center that is a career minus every play off currently on pace for 40 points. Taking offers.

Now lets see your list of players you think would be offered for TP.

Every team would love to have Tomas Plekanec. Pleks is a very good checking C who provides speed, experience, smarts, and some offence (albeit a lot less than he used to). You don't need to argue that he is human garbage in order to make the much more plausible case that he provides too little in return for the minutes he gets. As I say, this is a symptom of our weaknesses down the middle rather than idiocy on MT's part, but that's another discussion. Pleks, in short, is still a good player. But he is on the downside and ideally other players would be crowding out his minutes somewhat.

Yeah I completely agree. I guess I personally have a habit of defending most of our players and staff just because I support the team. With that being said though, I don't think Plekanec deserves any grief whatsoever. He brings an honest effort out every single game and I personally don't think he even needs the coaches to tell him what his job is in any given game. Depending on the people he is playing against, he will adjust his game accordingly. If anything, the biggest complaint I can come up with about him myself is that he is way too consistent and doesn't outshine this consistency for any given period. He rarely goes on any extensive hot streaks anymore but he'll still quietly put up points on a rather consistent basis and all while bringing many other elements to the team.

In short, every single time our problem at center is brought up, I don't think it's fair to single out Plekanec's name above all others. It simply isn't his fault that the team is structured the way it is. I don't know how many times this needs to be repeated but as of now, it's clear that we don't have a number #1 center. That's what many have been saying, and good for you, but this reality should not have us place the blame on Plekanec's shoulders.

Finally, for what it's worth, I do believe that Plekanec actually could be a lower tier #1 center on a few teams out there, he just needs to have elite #1 line wingers to play with. The way the Habs team is structured, once again, just doesn't allow for this. It's certainly been awhile and I don't base my reasoning on this whatsoever, but the Kovy, AK, Plek line is probably the most skilled line I've seen on the Habs in the past 15 years. I know Plekanec is older now but his game is still pretty similar to how it was back then and his style isn't so tough and gritty that a huge rapid decline should be expected. All he needs is a 2 point game to be in the top 30 in scoring for centers. Don't worry though, the purpose of this post was not to proclaim that he's a #1 center; It's that he shouldn't be blamed for the way the team is structured.

Edit: Just to add to all that, Plekanec is a career 53.5 point player. This year he is on pace for 53.4 (really trailing off) points. Where does 40 point player come into the equation here at all?

Yeah I completely agree. I guess I personally have a habit of defending most of our players and staff just because I support the team. With that being said though, I don't think Plekanec deserves any grief whatsoever. He brings an honest effort out every single game and I personally don't think he even needs the coaches to tell him what his job is in any given game. Depending on the people he is playing against, he will adjust his game accordingly. If anything, the biggest complaint I can come up with about him myself is that he is way too consistent and doesn't outshine this consistency for any given period. He rarely goes on any extensive hot streaks anymore but he'll still quietly put up points on a rather consistent basis and all while bringing many other elements to the team.

In short, every single time our problem at center is brought up, I don't think it's fair to single out Plekanec's name above all others. It simply isn't his fault that the team is structured the way it is. I don't know how many times this needs to be repeated but as of now, it's clear that we don't have a number #1 center. That's what many have been saying, and good for you, but this reality should not have us place the blame on Plekanec's shoulders.

Finally, for what it's worth, I do believe that Plekanec actually could be a lower tier #1 center on a few teams out there, he just needs to have elite #1 line wingers to play with. The way the Habs team is structured, once again, just doesn't allow for this. It's certainly been awhile and I don't base my reasoning on this whatsoever, but the Kovy, AK, Plek line is probably the most skilled line I've seen on the Habs in the past 15 years. I know Plekanec is older now but his game is still pretty similar to how it was back then and his style isn't so tough and gritty that a huge rapid decline should be expected. All he needs is a 2 point game to be in the top 30 in scoring for centers. Don't worry though, the purpose of this post was not to proclaim that he's a #1 center; It's that he shouldn't be blamed for the way the team is structured.

Edit: Just to add to all that, Plekanec is a career 53.5 point player. This year he is on pace for 53.4 (really trailing off) points. Where does 40 point player come into the equation here at all?

good post :halm:

As said before, the Nashville GM (name?) was interviewed last year during intermission and asked by Pred. announcer why their PP was shutout in game and failed to do much and he simply said "Plekanec... who is a very underrated player.."

And I think is also underrated by most some HabFans also.

And certainly not a player to complain about, has been darn good value for past 700+ games.

xXXx, I got the "45-point" figure via a debatable piece of reasoning. Last year, Pleks got 43 points. This year, yes, he is on a 53-point pace, BUT that number is somewhat inflated by a hot start. Since the end of October he has been producing at a 40-point pace. Now, maybe discounting three hot weeks is unfair, but all things considered it makes sense to discount a wildly aberrant hot streak when you're trying to assess a player. So my conclusion is that on any given night, Pleks nowadays can most reasonably be expected to produce like a 45-point C. That's what his game is.

I agree with the essentials of your post, though. It's not Pleks's fault that we don't have a stronger complementary cast and that he has to be the #1 guy as a result. This is the oldest fan mistake in the book: attacking a player because weaknesses in team structure lead to him being over-used. The most egregious example of this I can think of is the unforgivable demonization of Patrice Brisebois, who was systematically attacked by fans because the Habs were forced to use him as a #1D when he was actually a second-pairing guy on good team. Ridiculous and unfair.

Honestly, the guy I'm annoyed at is Desharnais, who has quietly been having a cruddy season. Now THERE is a weak link.

I think the debate involving Eller, Plekanec and Desharnais is one that has been going on for at least 2-3 years now. As far back as then, I had been saying that out of the three, I'd like Desharnais to be moved. We have an abundance of centers, most of which are suited for a 2nd or 3rd line role. Is this a good problem to have? I honestly don't think so because it leaves question marks as to who should be playing where. I like the way MB has handled our team for the most part, in that he has either traded prospects (Colberg) for solid pieces or fringe players (Bourque, Moen, Diaz etc) instead of core pieces. With that being said, Desharnais might be closer to a core piece than the others mentioned but I would look to ship him out personally if not only to give our centers a better idea of where they stand. I don't think trading him is imperative by any means but out of anyone in our top 9, he'd probably be the player I'd be most willing to part with.

Compared to 2-3 years ago, I have less of a problem with Desharnais, as long as he remains a secondary part of the team on the third line. With that being said, shipping him out a few years ago may have been a better idea because he probably had a higher perceived value. He's capable of being a useful little fella to an extent, but my point is is that IF I'm going to ship out any of our centers, it would be him. My stance on that hasn't changed in years.

As for Eller, for some reason my patience remains strong with him. As for Plekanec, I'm convinced he'll surpass the 50 point plateau this season. There's very little doubt in my mind.

As said before, the Nashville GM (name?) was interviewed last year during intermission and asked by Pred. announcer why their PP was shutout in game and failed to do much and he simply said "Plekanec... who is a very underrated player.."

And I think is also underrated by most some HabFans also.

And certainly not a player to complain about, has been darn good value for past 700+ games.

has three more goals than sekac, and sekac gets no powerplay time, no first line time, Pleks aint that good.

nashville gm likely watches 10 per cent of the games most hab fans watch

has three more goals than sekac, and sekac gets no powerplay time, no first line time, Pleks aint that good.

nashville gm likely watches 10 per cent of the games most hab fans watch

Next to Paccioretty, Plek is the team's best forward right now. I think you are way off in your assessment. In the playoffs he makes Kreicji, Bergeron, Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos less affective. In the playoffs, his numbers drop primarily because of use. Similar to the problem Vancouver had with Kessler. I think Plek needs to produce 50+ points a year to earn his salary, but his complete game is awesome. I'm a bit confused about the Plek hate in the last two years. IMO it is just false.

Next to Paccioretty, Plek is the team's best forward right now. I think you are way off in your assessment. In the playoffs he makes Kreicji, Bergeron, Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos less affective. In the playoffs, his numbers drop primarily because of use. Similar to the problem Vancouver had with Kessler. I think Plek needs to produce 50+ points a year to earn his salary, but his complete game is awesome. I'm a bit confused about the Plek hate in the last two years. IMO it is just false.

His numbers actually aren't that bad in the playoffs, it seems to me. It's more that he's one of those players who doesn't really raise his game come playoff time, at least on offence. Defensively, you are absolutely right that his neutralizing of other teams' stars has generally been first-rate.

I don't see anyone in this thread 'hating' on Pleks, except maybe Habs30/31, and even he (I think) would concede that Plekanec is a good player except when he's getting carried away by his own argument. The real issue is whether it'd be better to have superior C, especially offensively, eating some of those minutes.

His numbers actually aren't that bad in the playoffs, it seems to me. It's more that he's one of those players who doesn't really raise his game come playoff time, at least on offence. Defensively, you are absolutely right that his neutralizing of other teams' stars has generally been first-rate.

I don't see anyone in this thread 'hating' on Pleks, except maybe Habs30/31, and even he (I think) would concede that Plekanec is a good player except when he's getting carried away by his own argument. The real issue is whether it'd be better to have superior C, especially offensively, eating some of those minutes.

Pleks is playing lots of minutes cause he is the only truly reliable centre we have right now. I think Le Genius overplays him, but he is the coach. I don't think Pleks was ever hot shit offensively, but when you add in his defensive qualities he is a very valuable member of the team. He still has considerable trade value cause he does so much more than the average player.