DD NHL's Third Star of the Week-Where Are the H8erz Now?

For $3.5m he is only on pace for 49pts and sucks in the playoffs.

Mike Singletary was asked about him;

"Cannot play with him. Cannot win with him. Cannot coach him. Cant do it!" :nuts:

You make it sound like 3.5m for 49 points is a bad thing. Compare that around the league and you will be surprised

He and Pacs are siamese twins. Never to be broken apart.

Add Weise and that is a 9M/year line that scores alot of points.

You make it sound like 3.5m for 49 points is a bad thing. Compare that around the league and you will be surprised

Sarcasm maybe?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=752463&navid=nhl:topheads

So much for the DD criticisms. This guy is electric, and I hope he's on the team for fifty years.

ya like that word hate dont ya.

DD is a fine number three center..............problem for the canadiens is he is THEIR first line center. That has always been my knock (on my habs and dd) that they need a true number one center to win a cup. Which DD is not. He is a talented, little, non physical, play maker. Who has performed poorly in every play off he has been involved in.

Mike Singletary was asked about him;

"Cannot play with him. Cannot win with him. Cannot coach him. Cant do it!" :nuts:

Who the heck is the Mike Singletary you speak of? The NFL former player now sort of a coach?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=752463&navid=nhl:topheads

So much for the DD criticisms. This guy is electric, and I hope he's on the team for fifty years.

I think 50 years might be a little too long.

Here's a list of forwards making more than DD with less points so far this season:

Moulson

Gionta

Hodson

Stewart

Stafford

Weisse

Franzen

Jokinen

Fleishmann

Bolland

Micalek

Clarkson

Lupul

Skinner

Semin

Dubinsky

Henrique

Clow

Cammalleri

Elias

Zajac

Kulemin

Grabovski

Read

Lecavalier

Umberger

Brouwer

Laich

Bickell

Briere

O'Reilly

Hemsky

Cole

Horcoff

Koivu

Fisher

Neal

Berglund

Kane

Erat

Doan

Jones

Pouliot

Purcell

Hall

Richards

Gaborik

Brown

Burrows

• Upvote 1

how many of them are the first line center on their teams?

dd is a talented little guy

he is not a first line center

It's not his fault he might be miscast as a first liner. My point was that he brings great value to the team for what he is getting paid.

• Upvote 3

It's not his fault he might be miscast as a first liner. My point was that he brings great value to the team for what he is getting paid.

No its not DD's fault. Thats why i have always said DD not being a first line center is not a knock on him as much as it is a knock on the team. Its a glaring weak spot on any club if David Daharnais is the first line center.

All the players you just listed in comparing dollars just exemplifies that.

I also have a prpblem with DD being our first line centre. There's no doubt that for the amount of money we are paying him, he is producing enough points. However, he's a smurf. He gets pushed off the puck pretty easily and doesn't win many battles along the boards. He has become somewhat predictable (in that he almost never shoots...always looks to pass).

Despite all these issues I have with him, If DD were our 2nd line centre, I'd have absolutely no problem with that. The problem is that Galchenyuk is taking a little longer than expected to get comfortable at centre. Once Chucky becomes comfy down the middle, I think DD will be pushed back to the 2nd line. The question I have is...Will MaxPac follow him onto the 2nd line or will he stay on the 1st line with Chucky?

DD is what he is. A limited player with very good hockey smarts and some legitimate offensive tools.

I maintain that he did not play badly in the playoffs. I recall saying at the time that it was unfortunate that, despite being effective, his numbers were poor, because no one remember that he actually played rather well. And here we are.

Are we really arguing about what a first line or second line player is still?

I mean, it's especially since to do it in Montreal when all of you I'm sure are familiar with how Saku Koivu was the #1C but rarely played with Alex Kovalev, who was the #1W.

Even then, the number one center all season long has been Tomas Plekanec. Number one in minutes, responsibility and scoring.

You can argue all you want on Plek being a suitable first line center (he's an ideal second line C but can play first line C on a contender) but DD, even if he plays with Pacioretty, is not our first line center.

And to get back to why, first line center is such a dumb distinction in the first place. it creates the idea that there's only one possible player for the role. Are you gonna call Malkin a second line center? Bozak a first line center? What?

The other problem with it is that most people argue on what a first line center is, are arguing what a "Top 10" center is. Last year, only 10 centers hit 70 points. Meanwhile, the 25th best scoring center only hit 57 points. Which was David Backes. Desharnais only had five points less. When you say "First Line Center" you rarely ever mean Top 30 center in scoring or Top 30 center in minutes. It's always the points and you're always basing it on what guys like Tavares, Crosby, Stamkos and Sedin do.

So the next time we discuss whether a player is this or that, be clear of what you're trying to say. "First Line Center" in the NHL today is the guy who scores 50 points or more while playing the most minutes at the position per game. That's not Desharnais. That's Plekanec, regardless of linemates.

Habs glaring weakness seems simple to see, is lack of All Star calibre forwards with good production..

And DD critics do seem to of quieted down.

Even Toronto media has shut up about Smurfs on team this year, hard to keep pointing out rather irrelevant stuff when a team keeps winning for 3rd year in a row now.

Less than 30 games till start of the real season.

Habs have 99.8% chance of making playoffs; must put a smile on Molson to have some more guaranteed playoff $$.

DD is what he is. A limited player with very good hockey smarts and some legitimate offensive tools.

I maintain that he did not play badly in the playoffs. I recall saying at the time that it was unfortunate that, despite being effective, his numbers were poor, because no one remember that he actually played rather well. And here we are.

He didn't play badly at all last year's playoffs. I was impressed at the leadership he showed, by how hard he worked. We had bigger dead weight problems than him...

We also don't have a huge drop off after #1 at the center position like most of those teams with a *Cough* "Number one center" .

I have some counters to the idea that "DD should not be our #1 centre."

(1) First of all you have to define "#1 centre." Is it the centre who gets the most ice time? I don't think that's DD. The problem with this complaint, is we don't have a #1 line. We roll three roughly even lines. I think most of you are defining #1 centre as "Player that centres for Max Pacioretty." One issue with this definition, is the current line combos floated by Therien have Weise (a 4th liner?) with Patches (a first liner), and DD (a... 2nd? 3rd? liner) together. I'm not going to complain about that line...they've been scoring like crazy. Weise has become a god up there.

(2) DD has not been the #1 centre (defined as: person who centres for Patches) on this team for a significant part of the year. We've experimented with several players in that role. DD has been moved back into that position recently, and is currently getting results. When that line goes into its first 2-3 game slump, expect Therien to change them up again.

Are we really arguing about what a first line or second line player is still?

I mean, it's especially since to do it in Montreal when all of you I'm sure are familiar with how Saku Koivu was the #1C but rarely played with Alex Kovalev, who was the #1W.

Even then, the number one center all season long has been Tomas Plekanec. Number one in minutes, responsibility and scoring.

You can argue all you want on Plek being a suitable first line center (he's an ideal second line C but can play first line C on a contender) but DD, even if he plays with Pacioretty, is not our first line center.

And to get back to why, first line center is such a dumb distinction in the first place. it creates the idea that there's only one possible player for the role. Are you gonna call Malkin a second line center? Bozak a first line center? What?

The other problem with it is that most people argue on what a first line center is, are arguing what a "Top 10" center is. Last year, only 10 centers hit 70 points. Meanwhile, the 25th best scoring center only hit 57 points. Which was David Backes. Desharnais only had five points less. When you say "First Line Center" you rarely ever mean Top 30 center in scoring or Top 30 center in minutes. It's always the points and you're always basing it on what guys like Tavares, Crosby, Stamkos and Sedin do.

So the next time we discuss whether a player is this or that, be clear of what you're trying to say. "First Line Center" in the NHL today is the guy who scores 50 points or more while playing the most minutes at the position per game. That's not Desharnais. That's Plekanec, regardless of linemates.

neither one is a first line center

But where are the H8erz? The ones who decried DD and Therrien. Some even intimated a kind of "quid pro quo" arrangement for ice time. What's their answer to DD getting six points in a week when he takes his rightfully earned center position?

he had a good week.

Eller had a great play off but he is getting ripped now.

dd had a good week and threds are being started about him? lol........... how long you been waiting for that?

he had a good week.

Eller had a great play off but he is getting ripped now.

dd had a good week and threds are being started about him? lol........... how long you been waiting for that?

Eller gets ripped because some fans overrate him because of a handful of playoff games while he's cold as ice for 75-85 games a year. His goal on Saturday was his first in fourteen games. DD would be run out on a rail with that production.

It's about time DD got noticed by the league for his brand of never-say-die playmaking. I expect those in charge of Hockey Canada will soon take notice when they assemble their World Cup of Hockey team.

• Upvote 2

Eller gets ripped because some fans overrate him because of a handful of playoff games while he's cold as ice for 75-85 games a year. His goal on Saturday was his first in fourteen games. DD would be run out on a rail with that production.

And that's the name of that tune! :halm:

• Upvote 1

You have to give DD some props from a Darwinian standpoint. With Weaver playing very few games, he's the Last Smurf Standing.

He's outlasted:

+Gio

+$cott Gomez

+Cammalleri

+Briere

+Bouillon

+Weaver

Gallagher is still in the mix, but for smurfs that play like wimps, DD has emerged as a prototype.

It's about time DD got noticed by the league for his brand of never-say-die playmaking. I expect those in charge of Hockey Canada will soon take notice when they assemble their World Cup of Hockey team.

dd went 50 games without an even strength goal, while playing with the best offensive player the habs have had in decades.

DD on Team Canada ??? :rofl:

Guest Stogey24

dd went 50 games without an even strength goal, while playing with the best offensive player the habs have had in decades.

DD on Team Canada ??? :rofl:

Yeah, that's laughable