What will it take to make Habs a better club?

DON

I think we need to rework our defense. The only guys that push the puck up the ice are Markov and subban. Petry started to do that and we were scoring. That's why we need to resign him. Our defense is to soft. Which is why we can't make it out of our own end. And when we get stuck in our own end that's when this team gets in trouble. Keep Markov, subban and petry. Trade the others and try to get bigger and faster on the back on.

Edited by Habsfan1989

I think we need to rework our defense. The only guys that push the puck up the ice are Markov and subban. Petry started to do that and we were scoring. That's why we need to resign him. Our defense is to soft. Which is why we can't make it out of our own end. And when we get stuck in our own end that's when this team gets in trouble. Keep Markov, subban and petry. Trade the others and try to get bigger and faster on the back on.

There aren't too many guys who can rush the puck and play physical. It's usually one or the other.

My wish list is some help on the wing, a center like Derek Roy or Ribeiro that can be an upgrade on Desharnais and Cody Franson. I think they'll have 2-3 new players,that's pretty standard.

But can Bergevin land an 'impact' forward (or simply sign a Vermette?)? Which seems biggest weakness and reading ALLHABs bit and mentioning wishlist guys like Brent Burns, Byfuglien, Backes, Oshie, Sharp as trade targets and a quality player like that would give Habs a different look, but obviously be very costly.

Guest Stogey24

I think now is the time to make a trade like that. Price got hungout too many times with not enough goal scoring.

I said it before, bergevin needs to do a blockbuster this offseason or he's losing some cred in my book. He needs to get rid if this soft spot he has for grinders. This is the year Monreal has to solidify itself as a contender. The honeymoon is over for Bergevin

Guest Stogey24

There aren't too many guys who can rush the puck and play physical. It's usually one or the other.My wish list is some help on the wing, a center like Derek Roy or Ribeiro that can be an upgrade on Desharnais and Cody Franson. I think they'll have 2-3 new players,that's pretty standard.

I'm not against Franson at all. Clearly Bergevin likes him too. You might be right about the circling back

There's nothing special on free agency, but there are guys who can score 20 goals or close to it. There's a possibility Bergevin could scoop up a Drew Stafford for cheap, who put up 19 points in 26 games when getting out of the Buffalo Sabres purgatory. But really there's nobody exciting unless they can get them from Russia.

Derek Roy is not an upgrade to David Desharnais. I don't know how anyone could think that. Roy is 32 and hasn't put up 40 points since 11-12. Desharnais has 48, 52, 28 (in 48) and put up 60 points in 11-12 compared to Roy's 44. If Derek Roy was an upgrade to Desharnais, he wouldn't be playing for the Oilers.

Just to throw another name out there. Zajac. New Jersey is changing things up, starting with sweet Lou. Obviously they need young blood. Don't know what it would cost. Elias might be cheaper and available. Too bad he is so damn old. I do believe you need a bridge to the guy you potentially draft

Guest Stogey24

There's nothing special on free agency, but there are guys who can score 20 goals or close to it. There's a possibility Bergevin could scoop up a Drew Stafford for cheap, who put up 19 points in 26 games when getting out of the Buffalo Sabres purgatory. But really there's nobody exciting unless they can get them from Russia.

Derek Roy is not an upgrade to David Desharnais. I don't know how anyone could think that. Roy is 32 and hasn't put up 40 points since 11-12. Desharnais has 48, 52, 28 (in 48) and put up 60 points in 11-12 compared to Roy's 44. If Derek Roy was an upgrade to Desharnais, he wouldn't be playing for the Oilers.

Stafford should be getting looks from Bergevin. Put him on a scoring line from the start of the year I bet he puts up 30 goals

Guest Stogey24

I'll take that bet

lol, If he goes to a decent team and is put in a position to score, I think he'll put up 25-30 goals. I'll pay pal you 5$ if he doesn't

I think now is the time to make a trade like that. Price got hungout too many times with not enough goal scoring.

I said it before, bergevin needs to do a blockbuster this offseason or he's losing some cred in my book. He needs to get rid if this soft spot he has for grinders. This is the year Monreal has to solidify itself as a contender. The honeymoon is over for Bergevin

I'm just not convinced he needs a blockbuster. More scoring could come piecemeal, from a better PP and smaller-scale improvements to the forward configuration as well as internal improvement from young guys. I could be wrong, of course, but I still see Zoot adding Williams/Frolik type(s) as UFAs, bolstering the D either via Petry or someone else, and shopping around for an upgrade on DD without necessarily pulling the trigger if the price is too high. And hey, I think this approach could mostly solve the scoring problem. We came within a few goalposts and 2-3 power play goals of beating the current Cup finalist from the East, after all; arguably that is not a case for a core-rattling 'blockbuster' move.

Wings beat lightning three time

Rangers beat lightning three time

Habs beat lightning twice

Should we list the number of shots that went just wide of the post too? Add and imaginary successful powerplay and every play off team came "close" to winning the cup. :pray:

Add to that the the sens came as "close" to beating the habs as the habs did to beating the lightning. But the sens actually showed up for game 6, where the habs may as well have mailed it in to tampa that night.

Both the sens and habs went down 3-0 , won games 4 and 5 and lost game 6.

Close is for horse shoes and hand grenades as they say.

Just to throw another name out there. Zajac. New Jersey is changing things up, starting with sweet Lou. Obviously they need young blood. Don't know what it would cost. Elias might be cheaper and available. Too bad he is so damn old. I do believe you need a bridge to the guy you potentially draft

Zajac is Lars Eller if the Habs put Eller on the top line with Pacioretty and let him inflate his stats and then Pacioretty (Parise) left, leaving him an exposed third liner making first line money.

Zajac is Lars Eller if the Habs put Eller on the top line with Pacioretty and let him inflate his stats and then Pacioretty (Parise) left, leaving him an exposed third liner making first line money.

That apply to removing Pacs from DD ? Or just the hypothetical Eller and Zajac.

Take Pacs away from DD permanently and the diminutive center is playing in St Johns.

That apply to removing Pacs from DD ? Or just the hypothetical Eller and Zajac.

Take Pacs away from DD permanently and the diminutive center is playing in St Johns.

I am not so sure about that. Did we not take DD away for a while and his goal scoring increased?

Wings beat lightning three time

Rangers beat lightning three time

Habs beat lightning twice

Should we list the number of shots that went just wide of the post too? Add and imaginary successful powerplay and every play off team came "close" to winning the cup. :pray:

Add to that the the sens came as "close" to beating the habs as the habs did to beating the lightning. But the sens actually showed up for game 6, where the habs may as well have mailed it in to tampa that night.

Both the sens and habs went down 3-0 , won games 4 and 5 and lost game 6.

Close is for horse shoes and hand grenades as they say.

What is more significant to me is that we outplayed Tampa for most of that series - for about 4 out of those 6 games. Sure, we lost, but blowing up a team that outplayed the Cup finalist seems like an overreaction.

Desharnais is not tenable at C if we want to win the Cup. He needs to get used to being on the W and certainly to be separated from MaxPac. Of course, this assumes we can find an upgrade on him somewhere along the way...

What is more significant to me is that we outplayed Tampa for most of that series - for about 4 out of those 6 games. Sure, we lost, but blowing up a team that outplayed the Cup finalist seems like an overreaction.

Desharnais is not tenable at C if we want to win the Cup. He needs to get used to being on the W and certainly to be separated from MaxPac. Of course, this assumes we can find an upgrade on him somewhere along the way...

wings fans and rangers fans saying same thing i'm sure....."we out played them some of the games"

I know my buddy the sens fan says the same thing to me about round one.

Nobody is blowing up anything. Habs will move forward. Heck we finished 28th in 012 with the practically the same main core we have now. (Price, PK, Max, Pleks), we didnt blow it up then, we sure as hell aint gonna now.

But watching the semis this year tell us all, the habs have a long way to go..............and nobody is waiting for us to get to the next level. Everyone is building towards the very goals MB preaches about. Nobody is standing still.

I see Guy quoted as saying next captain should be Gally and Chucky should get extended shot at center. Like it when the greats agree with me. :nuts: He also gave MT a vote of confidence...well two outta three aint bad. :rofl:

The problem is Parenteau, DD and Eller. Three players making a combined $11M who couldn't score in the playoffs better than three late season acquisitions (DSP, Flynn, Mitchell) combined.

Two out of the three or all three need to be moved. Eller is an overpaid third line center. Desharnais isn't overpaid to be a top nine forward but he is a seat filler at best. Parenteau was correcting the Briere mistake and it backfiring. It wasn't a bad attempt but it didn't work out.

Max Pacioretty - Tomas Plekanec - Brendan Gallagher

Alex Galchenyuk - VACANT - VACANT

Jacob De La Rose - VACANT - Devante Smith-Pelly

Brandon Prust - Brian Flynn - Dale Weise

It's clear where the improvement needs to be.

The problem is Parenteau, DD and Eller. Three players making a combined $11M who couldn't score in the playoffs better than three late season acquisitions (DSP, Flynn, Mitchell) combined.

Two out of the three or all three need to be moved. Eller is an overpaid third line center. Desharnais isn't overpaid to be a top nine forward but he is a seat filler at best. Parenteau was correcting the Briere mistake and it backfiring. It wasn't a bad attempt but it didn't work out.

Pleks scored one goal playing pp and top line with out two best forwards.

The other three you rip for not scoring equaled TP with far less opportunity.

But I forgot when talking about TP we only are suppose to refer to reg season. :nuts:

We're one of the top teams in the Conference and have been for three straight seasons. It's a fine line, not a huge chasm, we have to cross.

one would think............but watching the hawks and ducks last night..............looks like a huge chasm to me.

MoLG I would shuffle your 2nd line VACENT slots to line #1 and move Gallagher-Plekanec to 2nd line.

Need to add another All-Star calibre 1st liner (or two) sooner or later. But don't think that fact is lost on Bergevin and just a matter of finding right dance partner in a month.

Guest Stogey24

Galchenyuk needs to go to centre. Ferraro was on TSN and said you gotta put this kid a centre too. He said you make him practice faceoffs all year, don't worry about anything else right, let him play his game.