What will it take to make Habs a better club?

DON

Stay away from Bickell at all costs, even if he was offered for free (and I wouldn't be shocked if he was on waivers before too long). As much as he has a reputation for being a big game player, it's worth noting he has one goal in I believe his last 26 playoff games. He now finds himself a healthy scratch when it matters most as well. He has played with the likes of Kane, Toews, Sharp, and Hossa for long stretches this season and still couldn't crack 30 points (something he has only accomplished once in his NHL career). He's a better top six option than a guy like Prust but he has no business being in a top six role regularly on any team.

Sharp is in decline but he still should have a couple of good years left in him and it just so happens that he has a couple of years left on his contract. The money would be hard to manage though as Chicago isn't going to be up for taking salary back and the Habs don't have the space to take on $5.9 million without unloading some money somewhere.

Well, so much for that, lol, I say you're right, bad idea... Thanks Brian!

Next topic: David Desjarnais

What would you do with him? 3 LW? 1C or 2C? Trade sweetener? Or is he with us until the Quebec Nordique expansion Draft? Watch he'd be their Captain too haha

trade.

Guest Stogey24

I suggested DD for Higgins. Vancouver needs a center. We need LW depth if Galchenyuk moves to center.

I never liked Higgins. I'd keep desharnais if that's the type of player he's going to accumulated in a trade. Especially if Galchneyuk stuggles; then who do we have to play second line centre? I think dumping DD for a pick and acquiring a LW, C (Soderberg) makes much more sense.

I never liked Higgins. I'd keep desharnais if that's the type of player he's going to accumulated in a trade. Especially if Galchneyuk stuggles; then who do we have to play second line centre? I think dumping DD for a pick and acquiring a LW, C (Soderberg) makes much more sense.

You have to then make a trade with a team which:

- Is not tight against the cap

- Needs a 2/3 offensive center

- Doesn't have a player in their system that's young who can attempt the position

- Isn't willing to wait and take a chance on a guy like Hodgson (who is likely to be bought out)

- Is not in a situation of needing their draft picks to give up a second round pick for a guy coming out of his prime

You're really limiting your market that way. It's far more likely we will have to take cap back.

With Gionta and gorges there, I can see buffalo being interested to make sure they can ease in eichael.

You have to then make a trade with a team which:

- Is not tight against the cap

- Needs a 2/3 offensive center

- Doesn't have a player in their system that's young who can attempt the position

- Isn't willing to wait and take a chance on a guy like Hodgson (who is likely to be bought out)

- Is not in a situation of needing their draft picks to give up a second round pick for a guy coming out of his prime

You're really limiting your market that way. It's far more likely we will have to take cap back.

With Eichel and Reinhardt in Buffalo this season, how long before Zem Girgensons wants out of there? Surely he won't be happy when moved to 3C? When is he up for RFA?

I believe he is an rfa after 2015/16

With Eichel and Reinhardt in Buffalo this season, how long before Zem Girgensons wants out of there? Surely he won't be happy when moved to 3C? When is he up for RFA?

Girgensons spent a lot of time on the wing in his rookie season. I suspect he'll be back there once those two have settled in as the top two centres.

Girgenson can likely play wing (dlbalr just said it) and why do we have to pigeonhole a forward as only a centre ( like #27)? Many centres can play wing fine and vice versa.

Sabres likely wouldn't hesitate to have him play top six wing.

Reluctantly eh? He has a beef with not playing centre, never heard that? He is too good or beneath him to play LW?

I would suspect Bergevin/Therrien/ Mellanby/Lapointe/Dudley etc have discussed roster slots once or twice over past 3 years and where best Galchenyuk fits in.

I would suspect Bergevin/Therrien/ Mellanby/Lapointe/Dudley etc have discussed roster slots once or twice over past 3 years and where best Galchenyuk fits in.

Exactly. I don't care where Chucky plays, would just like him to have players on with him with some offensive upside, or at least the mentality to go to the net hard.

Kid needs turned loose to create some goals this year, from the wing or the middle.

What about Soderberg in Boston? he looks pretty good, was only making 1 mill a year, going to get a raise, but how much? Pretty good 2nd line center?

Just heard bruins are not going to be retaining him. As you said cap problems. I like him. Strong play down low. Size and talent.

Reluctantly eh? He has a beef with not playing centre, never heard that? He is too good or beneath him to play LW?

We have heard everything by now. From wants to play center, does not feel comfortable at center, does not matter which position he plays, etc etc etc.

With two goals in his last 30 games including a lousy play off..............you could try him at center or leave him on the wing. Used to be of major concern but has almost become a non issue. He's no longer considered a "star on the making" More like, hope he can learn to play the game all over again because he has great hands.

Exactly. I don't care where Chucky plays, would just like him to have players on with him with some offensive upside, or at least the mentality to go to the net hard.

Kid needs turned loose to create some goals this year, from the wing or the middle.

you would think so

trade.

we are stuck with him. So third line winger......but for more than a week. The entire season

Girgenson can likely play wing (dlbalr just said it) and why do we have to pigeonhole a forward as only a centre ( like #27)? Many centres can play wing fine and vice versa.

Sabres likely wouldn't hesitate to have him play top six wing.

when you have two great centers why not.

Not so much turned loose, as simply SHOOT the PUck kid!

Galchenyuk shooting% is 12.3%...wanna guess what another Habs winger with almost 40 goals % is...12.3%

But one took 1/2 the shots of the other.

Watch Filip Forsberg and he fires puck every chance he gets, but only scores at 11% clip and seems one obvious difference to Galchenyuk. And by shooting more Forsberg had 6 more goals due to extra 74 shots.

What would some of you be saying if chucky played center for his last 30 games and scored a measly 2 goals?

Cause thats what he got playing wing.

The argument goes in circles, though. Seldom do we hear anyone say, 'so and so sucks at wing, so put him at the much more demanding C position and watch him fly.' Certainly I find it implausible to say that Galy's problems are because he's playing wing. They lie elsewhere. It's true that he should shoot more. And despite what's recently been said, it's true that he still attempts the individual play far, far too often. The kid can shoot. The kid can pass. He does neither reliably. If and when he does, he will start producing.

Ovechkin 395 shots, Max 302, Stamkos 268 (more scoring options), Gallagher 254shots vs Alex with only 163.

Best shooting % on Habs is one David Desharnais, but when only got 90 shots makes it hard to score much.

He seems to not want to be the one to embarrass goalies maybe?

Just too nice of a guy!

Ovechkin 395 shots, Max 302, Stamkos 268 (more scoring options), Gallagher 254shots vs Alex with only 163.

Best shooting % on Habs is one David Desharnais, but when only got 90 shots makes it hard to score much.

He seems to not want to be the one to embarrass goalies maybe?

Just too nice of a guy!

I really strongly believe that Desharnais needs to shoot a LOT more. He seems to have quite a good shot. Becoming a more fully-rounded offensive player could be the missing piece for DD...separate him from Patches and tell him to shoot the damned puck.

Just heard bruins are not going to be retaining him. As you said cap problems. I like him. Strong play down low. Size and talent.

I would say he is an upgrade on Eller.

Not so much turned loose, as simply SHOOT the PUck kid!

Galchenyuk shooting% is 12.3%...wanna guess what another Habs winger with almost 40 goals % is...12.3%

But one took 1/2 the shots of the other.

Watch Filip Forsberg and he fires puck every chance he gets, but only scores at 11% clip and seems one obvious difference to Galchenyuk. And by shooting more Forsberg had 6 more goals due to extra 74 shots.

to use your reasoning , i'm sure the coaching staff has pointed that out and told the boy to shoot more ........... but if you are not getting to the right places (as pax does) . Your comparison of chucky and pacs tells me max gets himself a good scoring position far more than chucky does. Never hesitates either.

I really strongly believe that Desharnais needs to shoot a LOT more. He seems to have quite a good shot. Becoming a more fully-rounded offensive player could be the missing piece for DD...separate him from Patches and tell him to shoot the damned puck.

As long as he aint on the top six. He's done when his contract is up anyways.