What will it take to make Habs a better club?

DON

Very true.

The plan, I believe, was for Eller to evolve into a legit 2nd-line C and supplant Desharnais, just as the plan was for Galchenyuk to emerge as a major offensive threat. There's still hope for the second, but Eller is very clearly never going to become a top-6 FW. It's a structural flaw in the rebuild.

Since 12-13 I saw the plan to be Galchenyuk one day replacing Desharnais (offensive minded center) and Eller one day replacing Plekanec (two way center). Maybe Bergevin didn't see it that way but their use last season and post-season says that was a goal that hasn't been reached.

Galchenyuk needs a new deal and likely won't sign long-term without showing his full value. Some would say he's proven nothing but last season his 46 points meant Montreal had two left wingers in the Top 25 (tied for #25 with Chris Kreider). If we stretch it to "Top 30" the teams with two or more left wingers in the Top 30 LW scoring were Columbus (Foligno, Hartnell), New York (Nash, Kreider), Montreal (Pacioretty, Galchenyuk), Detroit (Tatar, Abdelkater), St. Louis (Steen, Schwartz), Colorado (Landeskog, Tanguay), Florida (Huberdeau, Jokinen), Washington (Ovechkin, Johanssen) and Chicago (Saad, Sharp). 9 out of 30 teams iced two Top 30 left wingers and Galchenyuk was the guy with Pacioretty. That's proving something, but it isn't the position people want him to be proving it at. DD is still signed and bounces between the lines.

Eller just got a new deal and has played good enough as a third line center and scores like a third line center (.35 P/GP is where your Vernon Fiddlers, Chris Kelly's, Patrik Berglund's, Shawn Matthias' and Lars Ellers live) but has yet to prove he can play top six minutes in the NHL. Every chance we've had putting him there has been an eventual or immediate failure. He's a well paid third line center. He won't be taking Plekanec's spot, who bounced back from a weaker 13-14 to have a first line center's scoring pace (60 points) despite it being outside of the Top 20 for centers.

So if the young kids in Eller and Galchenyuk were supposed to supplant Plekanec and Desharnais, they haven't done it yet. One doesn't look like he ever will crack the top six (Eller) while the other proved he can play top six, but hasn't moved into the center position full-time.

I don't think any argument can be made that Pleks is more important to the team than Eller and DD.. but the reason why you trade Pleks and keep Eller is the return.

If you're expecting to be successful (Stanley Cup successful) next year and you think the Habs can get it done with Pleks, Eller, and DD as your top 3 centres, than you're not being realistic. Habs need to improve their top 6 to give the team a chance to win it all.. So, how do you do that? You move Pleks. The return on DD and Eller wouldn't be big enough ..

Top 3 centres of Player Acquired, Galchenyuk, and Eller is a significant upgrade over Pleks, DD, Eller..

I don't think any argument can be made that Pleks is more important to the team than Eller and DD.. but the reason why you trade Pleks and keep Eller is the return.

If you're expecting to be successful (Stanley Cup successful) next year and you think the Habs can get it done with Pleks, Eller, and DD as your top 3 centres, than you're not being realistic. Habs need to improve their top 6 to give the team a chance to win it all.. So, how do you do that? You move Pleks. The return on DD and Eller wouldn't be big enough ..

Top 3 centres of Player Acquired, Galchenyuk, and Eller is a significant upgrade over Pleks, DD, Eller..

So, Eller being Eller, the upgrade would have to be, more points from Galchenyuk, and an assumption he is going to play center, and the upgrade is expected to be "player acquired" over Plekanec?

Don't think you are a math guru... the return by trading Pleks, has to be greater production and player than Pleks, so how does that happen, and how does that pertain to Pleks bringing the best return as the main reason to trade him?

How do you upgrade Pleks without actually adding pieces to get an upgrade over him?

Or are you in the same bus as 30/31 saying Pleks is a no show in playoffs, so any 50-60 point center is an upgrade?

Plekanec is definitely one of the best 2 way, and #2 centers in the NHL, period. Trade him and you are likely to weaken the top 6...

Habs need a winger than can score, especially when the chips are down, that's the improvement to the top six that would make the greatest improvement, and leave Pleks where he is...

Defense won the Blackhawks the cup, and Bergevin has addressed that with the Petry and Beaulieu signings, and we have good depth at D, so I think we are already a better club, than most of last year, to answer the thread's original question, a winger that is capable of scoring 20, and helping the PP.

Trade DD and whatever else works to get that winger, and voila, we are better.

• Upvote 1

There were 24 centers last year that scored more than Plekanec. Which one can the Habs acquire by trading Plekanec that will provide more scoring without a significant loss in defence? Don't forget he was tied for 13th among all centers in goal scoring, so you probably want a center who can outscore him.

Are you saying we're trading Plekanec+ for Jiri Hudler? Joe Pavelski? Jeff Carter? Maybe you want to trade him for David Backes, who is bigger but doesn't score as much and doesn't get as much points and Plek has as many points as Backes does in the past two playoffs as Backes has for his entire playoff career?

I'd love to hear a good argument for trading Tomas Plekanec and not one that involves us putting a 26 year old third line center who has yet to score more than 30 points in five seasons and has one good postseason in three on the top six.

• Upvote 1

There were 24 centers last year that scored more than Plekanec. Which one can the Habs acquire by trading Plekanec that will provide more scoring without a significant loss in defence? Don't forget he was tied for 13th among all centers in goal scoring, so you probably want a center who can outscore him.

Are you saying we're trading Plekanec+ for Jiri Hudler? Joe Pavelski? Jeff Carter? Maybe you want to trade him for David Backes, who is bigger but doesn't score as much and doesn't get as much points and Plek has as many points as Backes does in the past two playoffs as Backes has for his entire playoff career?

I'd love to hear a good argument for trading Tomas Plekanec and not one that involves us putting a 26 year old third line center who has yet to score more than 30 points in five seasons and has one good postseason in three on the top six.

We were typing at the same time.... I don't get it either...

• Upvote 1

Quote from Ron Hextall on coaching staffs:

I think when you look at a staff, you want a defenseman to run your defense and to work with your defensemen. You want an offensive mind on your staff to help the power play and the offensive side of the game. And then the other guy typically is a forward and a little bit of a sounding board for players, a cushion, a good guy with personality.

I don't see that on the Habs. This is the kind of philosophy i agree with. Maybe I am wrong and we have all these people.

Gallant was better with the fwds and the PP, imo than the loser we have doing it now. JJ Daigneualt has an easy job because of Price, and Jodoin?! Gallant was also the player's coach on the staff.

He was a big loss.

Player Acquired over Pleks is the reason you trade him.

I don't think Pleks is a true #1 centre, he's more of the shut down guy you need as a #2. The Habs issue is scoring and when you have a guy like Price in net, you can sacrifice a better defensive forward (Pleks) for a more offensive talent. Ideally, you could move DD and keep Pleks as your #2 centre, but the return would be too small.

The only other option is to move Galchenyuk, which I think most people would have an argument against.

So yes, if you can move Pleks for a Pavelski, Nugent Hopkins, or Backes, then I think you do it. They're just a better fit.

Just an opinion, but Pavelski on the 1st, Galchenyuk on the 2nd, and Eller on the third is a big improvement over what was iced this year. The defensive upgrade that Pleks has can be masked by DeLa Rose, Eller, and Price in net.

And just for the record, I LOVE Pleks. Love him. I get the total package argument. But HABS have to score more.

Gallant was better with the fwds and the PP, imo than the loser we have doing it now. JJ Daigneualt has an easy job because of Price, and Jodoin?! Gallant was also the player's coach on the staff.

He was a big loss.

The loser we have now Dan Lacroix played 188 games in the NHL he amassed 18 points in that short time. Obviously an amazing feat. He played for 5 teams in 7 years so he was popular. He is using all that knowledge on scoring goals to teach our guys to be snipers. To be fair he does have good coaching credentials but that does not seem to be helping right now. He was a plugger with almost 400 minutes in penalties. Just doesn't give me a lot of confidence on his ability to get the P/P going.

Frankly, I'm not as concerned that Galchenyuk hasn't become a stud centre. When we drafted him i thought we finally have someone who will be a legit offensive superstar that may be one of the top ten players in the league. What I am concerned about now is that he MAY not become a stud #1line SUPERSTAR player who gets 75+ points.

On a comparative basis this is a lousy year offensively across the league. But I had envisioned Galchenyuk being a top 10 player in the league. That may still happen one day. However he hasn't had the same progression as most superstar players do by year 3. In two years time we may have to accept that although we have a very good player, who is among the top 5 players from his draft year, we don't have a superstar that is among the top 5 or 10 in he league.

Since 12-13 I saw the plan to be Galchenyuk one day replacing Desharnais (offensive minded center) and Eller one day replacing Plekanec (two way center). Maybe Bergevin didn't see it that way but their use last season and post-season says that was a goal that hasn't been reached.

Galchenyuk needs a new deal and likely won't sign long-term without showing his full value. Some would say he's proven nothing but last season his 46 points meant Montreal had two left wingers in the Top 25 (tied for #25 with Chris Kreider). If we stretch it to "Top 30" the teams with two or more left wingers in the Top 30 LW scoring were Columbus (Foligno, Hartnell), New York (Nash, Kreider), Montreal (Pacioretty, Galchenyuk), Detroit (Tatar, Abdelkater), St. Louis (Steen, Schwartz), Colorado (Landeskog, Tanguay), Florida (Huberdeau, Jokinen), Washington (Ovechkin, Johanssen) and Chicago (Saad, Sharp). 9 out of 30 teams iced two Top 30 left wingers and Galchenyuk was the guy with Pacioretty. That's proving something, but it isn't the position people want him to be proving it at. DD is still signed and bounces between the lines.

Eller just got a new deal and has played good enough as a third line center and scores like a third line center (.35 P/GP is where your Vernon Fiddlers, Chris Kelly's, Patrik Berglund's, Shawn Matthias' and Lars Ellers live) but has yet to prove he can play top six minutes in the NHL. Every chance we've had putting him there has been an eventual or immediate failure. He's a well paid third line center. He won't be taking Plekanec's spot, who bounced back from a weaker 13-14 to have a first line center's scoring pace (60 points) despite it being outside of the Top 20 for centers.

So if the young kids in Eller and Galchenyuk were supposed to supplant Plekanec and Desharnais, they haven't done it yet. One doesn't look like he ever will crack the top six (Eller) while the other proved he can play top six, but hasn't moved into the center position full-time.

Player Acquired over Pleks is the reason you trade him.

I don't think Pleks is a true #1 centre, he's more of the shut down guy you need as a #2. The Habs issue is scoring and when you have a guy like Price in net, you can sacrifice a better defensive forward (Pleks) for a more offensive talent. Ideally, you could move DD and keep Pleks as your #2 centre, but the return would be too small.

The only other option is to move Galchenyuk, which I think most people would have an argument against.

So yes, if you can move Pleks for a Pavelski, Nugent Hopkins, or Backes, then I think you do it. They're just a better fit.

Just an opinion, but Pavelski on the 1st, Galchenyuk on the 2nd, and Eller on the third is a big improvement over what was iced this year. The defensive upgrade that Pleks has can be masked by DeLa Rose, Eller, and Price in net.

And just for the record, I LOVE Pleks. Love him. I get the total package argument. But HABS have to score more.

I'm 100% with you to trade Plekanec up for Pavelski. I'm also 100% sure that we could add a first rounder and a Scherbak and San Jose won't take it.

Nugent Hopkins... not sure there. Better scorer? Absolutely. Do the Oilers get ripped to shreds 82 games a year because Nugent Hopkins can't play defence? Absolutely.

Backes is no upgrade on Plekanec. Backes has never had as many points as Plek in a season. His best season was 62 points. Plek did two less last year! Plek has had a 70 point season. Backes is a terrible playoff player without a single good series performance. Backes is a bit better at faceoffs, is a right handed shot, hits more and has had two more goals than Plek in terms of career goal totals in a season (Backes had the same amount of goals and less points than Plek in 14-15). That's all he is. He's no better of a two way player, no way a better offensive player and the only other advantage I can give him is, "He's $250K cheaper."

Agreed. there is no question that Pleks is by FAR the best player of the 3. However, he is an RFA next year. If you look at a couple of young teams, Pleks is exactly what they need to take the next step. Combining him with an Emelin, or another prospect may get you a young, potentially elite forward forward.

I was one of Pleks staunchest defenders on this site after the "little girl playoffs" and his 2008-2009 year when everyone here wanted to dump him. I still think he is a great player. On average he will score 24 to 25 goals AND be a shutdown player. However, without a significant offensive upgrade we are not going to improve. Outside of our young core (Price, Subban, MaxPac, Galchenyuk, Gallagher and Beaulieu), there is no one else on the current roster that could be part of a package for a young potentially elite scorer.

It's okay to talk about him. But, not every comment someone else posts about him has to be countered with one of your arguments about why he's bad, terrible, has to go, etc. No one denies the position can be improved; heck, I don't think anyone would deny that it should be improved. That doesn't mean Plekanec is part of/the root cause of the problem and that anyone who suggests otherwise needs a swift refresher of your opinion of him. Just don't jump to the extreme negativity every time someone mentions him or the centre position. It doesn't make for good discussion.

Gotcha

Frankly, I'm not as concerned that Galchenyuk hasn't become a stud centre. When we drafted him i thought we finally have someone who will be a legit offensive superstar that may be one of the top ten players in the league. What I am concerned about now is that he MAY not become a stud #1line SUPERSTAR player who gets 75+ points.

On a comparative basis this is a lousy year offensively across the league. But I had envisioned Galchenyuk being a top 10 player in the league. That may still happen one day. However he hasn't had the same progression as most superstar players do by year 3. In two years time we may have to accept that although we have a very good player, who is among the top 5 players from his draft year, we don't have a superstar that is among the top 5 or 10 in he league.

I think most Habs fans have had visions of Galchenyuk ripping it up. In fact you could argue that he is fact doing well. He is the leading scorer thus far of his draft class and made the NHL at 18 despite missing pretty much his whole last year of junior. His teammates all know, we know and he knows how good he can be. As long as he stays dedicated and focused, he will be a star with the Habs for years. I don't think he needs to be a top 5 or 10 in the league to be a valuable player

Agreed. there is no question that Pleks is by FAR the best player of the 3. However, he is an RFA next year. If you look at a couple of young teams, Pleks is exactly what they need to take the next step.

The Habs are a young team that needs to take the next step. They could definitely benefit from having a player like Plekanec.

• Upvote 2

It's a tough one. Plekanec is an extremely valuable part of our core, and as Machine has exhaustively documented, it's very doubtful that Eller will be able to provide anything like an adequate substitute.

At the same time, Habs29 is correct that he is one of the few not-untouchable pieces we have that might - properly packaged - be able to get us a young high-ceiling FW. If, projecting 2-3 years hence, we do not believe the Habs will have adequate scoring to win a Cup, then we have to add that scoring somehow. Trading Pleks might enable us to do that.

And yet, there is a further problem: the implausibility of Drivefor25's scenario of trading Pleks for Pavelski or Nugent-Hopkins. No way we will get those stud scorers back in return for a 32-year-old Plekanec. If we trade Pleks for scoring help, therefore, it will probably have to take the form of a young gun who has not yet fully succeeded at the NHL level, since no team is going to trade a PPG player for Plekanec. Someone in the vein of a Yakupov - a potential PPG player - is a much more likely return.

But then there's the final irony. Unless that young player happens to explode in the first year we get him, we will have subtracted a 26-goal-scoring, 60-point, excellent two-way C who plays in all situations, for a hugely inferior overall player. Say for the sake of argument it's Pleks for Yakupov. The Yak had Eller-like totals last season (a whopping 33 points - half Pleks' output) and is no one's idea of a defensive stud. Otherwise put, we'll have made our FW unit very substantially worse in the short term.

So if we want to make the playoffs and avoid disaster, we'll then have to look at adding a legitimate top-6 FW to make up for the loss of Pleks (!). You soon start to see that nothing here is straightforward. Not at all.

I think there are a few teams out there willing to shake things up, with San Jose and St. Louis being two of them. After another disappointing year, it seems both teams need a bit of a makeover, and with Big Joe and Marleau having NMC, it seems somebody else will need to be moved.

I don't think Pleks gets you Pavelski alone, but I think they're willing to listen to offers.

Same with St. Louis and Backes. He's available. Not easily obtainable, but available.

And if you can take a big step forward offensively and lose a couple steps defensively, then you do it and hope CP31 doesn't let it show.

I want MB to target guys like yakapov, draisaitl, drouin (who probably isn't an option, because of what we could send the other way, as well as recent rivalry). I'd rather target younger players that are ready to break out or close to it than a guy like Marleau, Thornton who will cost a lot and there blest years are behind them, or a backed or pavelski who we will have to give up equal assets for.

I think you take a guy like yakapov out of EDM and he will be a 30+ goal scorer. I want to see MB going after young players for older assets the way Nashville got Forsburg. I'm tired of MB going after washed up has beens like Briere and PAP.

Another guy I'd roll the dice on is Grigerenko. I don't think he'd cost us an asset as signifant as Pleks.

It's a tough one. Plekanec is an extremely valuable part of our core, and as Machine has exhaustively documented, it's very doubtful that Eller will be able to provide anything like an adequate substitute.

At the same time, Habs29 is correct that he is one of the few not-untouchable pieces we have that might - properly packaged - be able to get us a young high-ceiling FW. If, projecting 2-3 years hence, we do not believe the Habs will have adequate scoring to win a Cup, then we have to add that scoring somehow. Trading Pleks might enable us to do that.

And yet, there is a further problem: the implausibility of Drivefor25's scenario of trading Pleks for Pavelski or Nugent-Hopkins. No way we will get those stud scorers back in return for a 32-year-old Plekanec. If we trade Pleks for scoring help, therefore, it will probably have to take the form of a young gun who has not yet fully succeeded at the NHL level, since no team is going to trade a PPG player for Plekanec. Someone in the vein of a Yakupov - a potential PPG player - is a much more likely return.

But then there's the final irony. Unless that young player happens to explode in the first year we get him, we will have subtracted a 26-goal-scoring, 60-point, excellent two-way C who plays in all situations, for a hugely inferior overall player. Say for the sake of argument it's Pleks for Yakupov. The Yak had Eller-like totals last season (a whopping 33 points - half Pleks' output) and is no one's idea of a defensive stud. Otherwise put, we'll have made our FW unit very substantially worse in the short term.

So if we want to make the playoffs and avoid disaster, we'll then have to look at adding a legitimate top-6 FW to make up for the loss of Pleks (!). You soon start to see that nothing here is straightforward. Not at all.

I don't know why we're even bothering with "what ifs" because suppose MB does magically acquire a scoring forward, won't MT's system put the handcuffs on him? The dreaded "dump and chase" will certainly nullify any plan of attack. Granted, MT HAS to plan his game around his current arsenal. However, I'm wondering: will he adapt as the lineup improves? That's a head-scratcher

Guest Stogey24

I want MB to target guys like yakapov, draisaitl, drouin (who probably isn't an option, because of what we could send the other way, as well as recent rivalry). I'd rather target younger players that are ready to break out or close to it than a guy like Marleau, Thornton who will cost a lot and there blest years are behind them, or a backed or pavelski who we will have to give up equal assets for.

I think you take a guy like yakapov out of EDM and he will be a 30+ goal scorer. I want to see MB going after young players for older assets the way Nashville got Forsburg. I'm tired of MB going after washed up has beens like Briere and PAP.

Another guy I'd roll the dice on is Grigerenko. I don't think he'd cost us an asset as signifant as Pleks.

Yak is who I want. He turned it on at the end of the season last year. Put him in a quality atmosphere like Montreal, might be surprised what that can do for a young player.

Get YAK and Backes.. Somehow trade for both and sign Beleskey.

(Pleks, PAP, DD obviously gone)

Gallagher - Backes - Pacioretty

Beleskey - Galchenyuk - YAK

DLR - Eller - S.Pelly

Prust - Mitchell - Weise

Plekanec with one year left on his deal isn't going to bring a first line center, or even a first line winger.

Yep, sucks to think about, but I think the Habs are entering the realm of the 2009-2013 Flyers or Predators-that classic second round team that's too good to miss the playoffs, but is missing a big piece or two to become contenders.

Maybe things are different out of camp if they flip-flop DD and Galchenyuk?

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher

DD-Plekanec-Parenteau

Who cares

SCRUBS

But for God's sake, get Prust out of the top-9.

Bottom 6

DLR-Eller-DSP

Prust-Mitchell-Weise

They really need some pop out of the third line. If Price slumps, and yes, it's possible, MB might be forced into a panic trade for scoring.

If I'm MB, I'm trying to win now. Price is in his prime, PK is a rare talent, Pacs is cheap, Gally and Galchenyuk and Beaulieu are all somewhat inexpensive for now..

You have to go out and make something happen.. if it means emptying the cupboard a little, then so be it. Give this team a chance to win now.

Who are untouchable prospects? Scherbek? Mccarron? DeLa Rose?

If you have to move one of them to give this team a real hot next year, then you do it..

If you think swapping Galchenyuk and DD in the lineup is the answer, then expect another early exit.. You need to bring in players now.

I think that when a player breaks out and things really start clicking for them it happens fast. After a nothing special rookie year for Ryan Johansen he split the next season between the NHL and AHL and in the NHL accumulated 12 points in 40 games. The next season he got 63 points. That was his fourth season removed from his draft. Next seasons is Galhenyuk's fourth season removed from his draft and he has better NHL numbers compared to the same point in Johansen's career. I know it is a lot to put on a young man but I really believe that this team is very dependent on Galchenyuk's development into and elite player in order to seriously contend. You never know but I wouldent be supprised to see 60 points out of Chucky next season and if he gets there that will go a long way to helping the team.

As far as players to trade, I keep coming back to the same thing thing which is moving DD. I have a really hard time envisioning ANY team winning the Cup with DD as part of their top 6. It's not just because he is small, Johnson and Gallagher are both great players but we have too many small guys in OUR top 6. Gallagher isn't going anywhere, Plecks is under appreciated due to being mis-cast PAP is gone by the time his deal is over if not sooner. Basically Plek and Gally are the small guys in our top 6 and we don't have room for any more.

I think we can improve by getting a winger just as much as by getting a center. Chicago needs cap space and Sharp in on the decline. Shipping off Emelin would help on D and give them cap room. PAP might not be as much help but he provides cap relief for a team like Chicago as well.

Guest Stogey24

Plekanec with one year left on his deal isn't going to bring a first line center, or even a first line winger.

Yep, sucks to think about, but I think the Habs are entering the realm of the 2009-2013 Flyers or Predators-that classic second round team that's too good to miss the playoffs, but is missing a big piece or two to become contenders.

Maybe things are different out of camp if they flip-flop DD and Galchenyuk?

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher

DD-Plekanec-Parenteau

Who cares

SCRUBS

But for God's sake, get Prust out of the top-9.

Bottom 6

DLR-Eller-DSP

Prust-Mitchell-Weise

They really need some pop out of the third line. If Price slumps, and yes, it's possible, MB might be forced into a panic trade for scoring.

Lol.

Again, the obvious choice is trading DD over Plek, but the return is not great enough.

Trade them both.. Plek to get Backes and DD as a throw in for a trade to land Yak.

Backes will likely cost a 1st rounder, McCarron and Galchenyuk. But, of course he or Oshie would look good in a Hab jersey.

DD+ some more of future for Yakupov?

Did you go to the Mike Milbury school of personal management? :bonk: