2015-16 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

That scouting report reads like it was written by his agent. It doesn't really mention his inconsistent willingness to back check and a tendency to be invisible some nights, both in the NHL and in junior. Don't get me wrong, he should be a very good player but the first bit of that report makes him sound like the next great elite superstar in the NHL. He's not that.

As for the sarcasm smiley, I've asked for our tech guy to come in and fix some of the technical glitches that are on here (not being able to add emoticons isn't the only problem). He's a busy guy though and it's nothing I can fix unfortunately. In the meantime, you can do what I do at times where I feel a certain smiley that isn't on here is appropriate - just do a quick image search through the search engine of your choice and you can usually find the right one before too long. It's not perfect but it works.

that quote is actually from Hockey's Future Talent analysis link: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/jonathan-drouin/

that quote is actually from Hockey's Future Talent analysis link: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/jonathan-drouin/

Well, I figured it wasn't from his agent. I don't put a ton of stock in HF's scouting reports to be honest, especially since they too often focus solely on the positive. If I'm reading a scouting report, I want both the good and the bad.

Well, I figured it wasn't from his agent. I don't put a ton of stock in HF's scouting reports to be honest, especially since they too often focus solely on the positive. If I'm reading a scouting report, I want both the good and the bad.

fair enough, my point was we need skill scorers not more goalies.

Looks like Kassian dropped quite a bit of weight. Really glad we traded him for a third string goalie

With a GA of 3.50 ...

Would it be that high if the Habs bothered to show up for either of his first two starts?

Not likely, he has been pretty good, those 2 games could have been blow outs I guess, are we headed for a coaching change, or a big trade that changes the team from soft and unwilling to compete? As is, this team won't make the playoffs...

The way I see it, that's the problem, not enough grit, and I don't give a damn about the so called team "principles", we needed to give Kassian a chance with our glaring hole/abyss of RW talent.

Byron and Carr have shown as much or more compete than mostly all our forwards outside of Galchenyuk, and they are both tiny.

Carr is not tiny

i've seen this written in so many places.

Just because he plays the same style as Gallagher doesn't mean he's the same size.

Carr is 6'0 195 lbs.

He's not huge, but he's not tiny.... he's average NHL size.

Three words: defensive-zone breakdowns. This is what keeps plaguing us.

I didn't like the trade because Kassian, while a long shot, had a chance to fill a major organizational need. But you can't blame Scrivens for the losses. He made huge saves last night before the breakdowns finally got the best of him.

Unless this team can stop those half-dozen catastrophic breakdowns in the D-zone, we will never get back to winning reliably until Price returns - and maybe not even then. I don't like the idea of Price coming back and instantly having to be Superman. He might need a few games to round into form, and it's unfair to him to expect that.

Guest Stogey24

I didn't like the trade because Kassian, while a long shot, had a chance to fill a major organizational need. But you can't blame Scrivens for the losses. He made huge saves last night before the breakdowns finally got the best of him.

Unless this team can stop those half-dozen catastrophic breakdowns in the D-zone, we will never get back to winning reliably until Price returns - and maybe not even then. I don't like the idea of Price coming back and instantly having to be Superman. He might need a few games to round into form, and it's unfair to him to expect that.

Exactly, Price comes back and what, has to stand on his head every night?

Is it time for Therrien to move on? Or has Bergevin not done enough?

the defensive zone coverage has been lousy for the past few years. We are now seeing that our coaching strategy revolved around Carey Price being MVP and goaltending jedi knight for the habs.

A mix of both. The team is also responsible. They played like poop last night. They got beat by a simple trap.

Everybody here knows I am not a fan of Le Genius,and yes some of this has to rest at his door, but we have to have the horses, and we do not have them. That lies with MB, forget value village Marc we need a top liner, and have for the whole time you been here. So in keeping with our chicken little ethic, we must fire the GM, shoot the coach, and trade everyone who makes more than 5 mill per year. That oughta do it. I have been saying for years that Le Genius' record is not based on his immense coaching abilities but on the fact that he has the best player in the world. However even Carey can only carry them so far. So much for the kindly old coach's great defensive strategy, boy it sure looks good when there is no Carey. This mess is like the Oilers of old where Glen Sather, that coaching genius, used to say, "hey Wayne you're up". Wonderful strategist. Let's hope that MB realises that A. he does not have a coaching genius and B we need some goal scoring. I know this message is rambling all over the place, but too pissed off to care. :habslogo:

Exactly, Price comes back and what, has to stand on his head every night?

Is it time for Therrien to move on? Or has Bergevin not done enough?

If they can go .500ish until Price comes back, Therrien's job is safe. MB has not done nearly enough, in fact, his two sterotypical gambles at RW self destructed before the 30th game.

How hard is it to find a RWer? This issue has been going for MBs entire administration. We're going to pay a price for one, no more dumpster diving.

Last spring Bergevin added an expensive top 4 d-man. If he hadn't he likely could of afforded to add a winger, pick your poison. Many had been complaining that Habs need a top 4 d-man and vast majority were happy with Petry being signed.

So now to complain he should of added a $5-6m/yr winger also is almost kooky, when have a cap to contend with. :bonk:

Last spring Bergevin added an expensive top 4 d-man. If he hadn't he likely could of afforded to add a winger, pick your poison. Many had been complaining that Habs need a top 4 d-man and vast majority were happy with Petry being signed.

So now to complain he should of added a $5-6m/yr winger also is almost kooky, when have a cap to contend with. :bonk:

That's a sorry excuse. It's always been scoring.

How about not extending Lars Eller/DD for 7 million a year? Or not signing Kassian/Semin for almost three million? Petry was a dramatic overpayment, I said it in the thread when he was signed.

How hard is it to find a RWer? This issue has been going for MBs entire administration. We're going to pay a price for one, no more dumpster diving.

Right wing snipers used to be plenty. Now they are hard to find. We have two RWs in the Top 25 for goals: Brendan Gallagher and Dale Weise. Drew Stafford is 12th for RW goal scoring. Lee Stempniak is 12th in RW scoring for all right wingers. That should give you a glimpse at how erratic and hard to gauge it is. Say we trade for a Teddy Purcell (9 goals, 25 points in 41 games, 16th in RW scoring), hey we got a guy, but he could have just been on a good string of games in Edmonton and does nothing with us. He doesn't have much of a track record. Gallagher is top five for all RWs in the game in P/PG.

And yeah, it's that ugly. If we don't make a "big" trade, our target is probably Joel Ward on San Jose. 10 goals, big body, SJ sucks, two more years, could be a good swap for Eller.

Right wing snipers used to be plenty. Now they are hard to find. We have two RWs in the Top 25 for goals: Brendan Gallagher and Dale Weise. Drew Stafford is 12th for RW goal scoring. Lee Stempniak is 12th in RW scoring for all right wingers. That should give you a glimpse at how erratic and hard to gauge it is. Say we trade for a Teddy Purcell (9 goals, 25 points in 41 games, 16th in RW scoring), hey we got a guy, but he could have just been on a good string of games in Edmonton and does nothing with us. He doesn't have much of a track record. Gallagher is top five for all RWs in the game in P/PG.

And yeah, it's that ugly. If we don't make a "big" trade, our target is probably Joel Ward on San Jose. 10 goals, big body, SJ sucks, two more years, could be a good swap for Eller.

We needed Oshie. For some reason, we didn't beat the Brouwer offer.

We needed Oshie. For some reason, we didn't beat the Brouwer offer.

Could they have? St. Louis likes big, physical forwards. The Habs didn't really have anyone like that to move (and no, a team that plans to contend isn't taking a return built on future assets).

"

Jaromir Jagr. RW. Probably the greatest right wing of all time. I've been saying we should sign him since he came back. He was interested. We could have spent the money we blow on Briere on Jagr. Or the money we blow on Parenteau on Jagr.

Oh yeah, most people here said he was washed up, or would be a bad influence. Goes to philly and there young guys haver career years. Goes to Florida and their young guys suddenly turn it around. A useless old, slow Jagr would never have looked good with Galchenyuk would he?

$9m for 1 frickin goal from a guy who plays all of every PP and basically 1/2 of game, WTF? Even Rick Green, Douglas Murray or Craig Ludwig would have a couple goals playing that much creamy icetime.

And yes LM I remember you did criticize Petry signing, but vast majority were very happy (me included) and I think is still a good deal and he isn't hurting team and playing lots of minutes (but he seems a bit "off" for awhile now?). But come Feb-March it may allow them to trade a Beaulieu + a bigger contract player (Eller?) for that winger.

$9m for 1 frickin goal from a guy who plays all of every PP and basically 1/2 of game, WTF? Even Rick Green, Douglas Murray or Craig Ludwig would have a couple goals playing that much creamy icetime.

And yes LM I remember you did criticize Petry signing, but vast majority were very happy (me included) and I think is still a good deal and he isn't hurting team and playing lots of minutes (but he seems a bit "off" for awhile now?). But come Feb-March it may allow them to trade a Beaulieu + a bigger contract player (Eller?) for that winger.

the Petry signing isn't the issue. Having a useless Emelin and the soft turnover machine Gilbert are.

"

Jaromir Jagr. RW. Probably the greatest right wing of all time. I've been saying we should sign him since he came back. He was interested. We could have spent the money we blow on Briere on Jagr. Or the money we blow on Parenteau on Jagr.

Oh yeah, most people here said he was washed up, or would be a bad influence. Goes to philly and there young guys haver career years. Goes to Florida and their young guys suddenly turn it around. A useless old, slow Jagr would never have looked good with Galchenyuk would he?

I just never believed he really wanted to be a Hab. Unless Jagr retires and says he was willing to take x to be a Hab and the Habs turned it down, I'm going to believe he was just blowing smoke. It wasn't just Montreal he teased. He also teased the Penguins saying he'd love to go back. It would be a no brainer for him to be a Pen again and "they couldn't come to a deal" which tells me he got markets excited and went for the best offer.

Just to jump in here - while it would no doubt be good to get a quality RW, no such player would prevent the team from the ridiculous defensive-zone breakdowns that have marred the past few weeks. That's either a coaching issue, or a symptom of blueline limitations, I'd think.

The Petry signing was a very good signing, i have no problem with it. That does not mean we don't need a sniper cause we do. We have to make a trade, that is how it works in the cap system. We can't be like the GM Genius Sather and just go buy one, we have to trade for one. Now tell your uncle's cousin to stop shopping at value village and get it done. We have 4 maybe 5 untouchables. How frigging much do we need?