2015-16 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

Those complaining about MB's lack of 'big moves' need to do two things:

1. Explain which pieces they are willing to trade away and

2. Explain why other GMs would prefer those pieces to the ones they actually got back for their high-value asset.

Last time I checked I wasn't getting a paycheck from the beer king. I am just a fan, I am not privileged to the knowledge that MB has. I get to to bitch and complain when they lose that is my job. So exactly why do I have to these things? Even if I did want to take the time to do this, what would it accomplish? Will they listen to me? No. Hell you won't even listen to me. It is my job to criticize when they lose and cheer when they win. Right now we need a trade, imho, we have a GM who it seems to be scared to make a real move. Btw Vanek was a rental (a good one, had the coach not forked him up). The Petry deal was a good signing. I like a lot of what he has done but the good ship Habs is going down with all hands aboard if he makes no moves. And I don't need a paycheck to know that.

Last time I checked I wasn't getting a paycheck from the beer king. I am just a fan, I am not privileged to the knowledge that MB has. I get to to bitch and complain when they lose that is my job. So exactly why do I have to these things? Even if I did want to take the time to do this, what would it accomplish? Will they listen to me? No. Hell you won't even listen to me.

Well, for one, it can make for good discussion. Some posters here place higher values on some players/prospects more than others so getting the names out there gives us all something to debate/discuss. From there, then we can debate/discuss why those players would or wouldn't have fit in some of the other deals (most likely the latter).

It's one thing to say the GM has to go make a big trade. But if you're only willing to part with the Eller's of the world to do so and don't want to move a top prospect, it's then hard to criticize the GM for not making one when you yourself don't want to see the types of players/prospects/picks required actually moved to get that deal done.

It's all hypothetical one way or the other. But simply saying Bergevin has to make that big trade doesn't generate good talking points like coming up with names and comparisons can.

The Habs aren't going to make any blockbusters. Too many things working against it. The Jackets and Preds were able to make a significant move because both teams had what the other needed. The Jackets are jockeying for 1st overall and the chance to draft Matthews, as opposed to competing for the playoffs. With all their injuries this season (most recently losing both their starting and backup goaltenders), they are essentially throwing in the towel on this season and building towards next season. The Preds had an abundance of talent on their blueline, unlike the Canadiens. Habs have quantity, but not the same quality. Plus Subban, Markov, Petry, and Emelin all have some sort of NTC or NMC. That's why the deal worked between Preds and Jackets. The Kings/Flyers deal was a depth move, not much different than the moves we have been seeing Bergevin make so far this season. Habs can forget about Drouin. Yzerman isn't going to deal him to the Canadiens unless the Habs are overpaying. It's been speculated by several writers that Yzerman is worried about getting fleeced like the Bruins did in the Seguin deal. If that's true, it's a poor comparison as far as trades go. Seguin had established himself as a top 6 forward when he was dealt and Drouin hasn't. Drouin will not be one of the best point producers in the league like Seguin. IMO I don't think this is a good comparison for Drouin's value, but it is likely that Yzerman wants a better return than Boston got for Seguin.

One of the big factors IMO that is making trades difficult this year is the lack of separation in the standings. Last place in the east Columbus is only 11 points out of playoff spot and last place in the west Edmonton is only 8 points out with half a season left to play. I think it's safe to say that Columbus has likely thrown in the towel (unless they acquire a goaltender), but there are 29 other teams vying for a playoff spot. So nobody wants to sell a player for prospects or draft picks quite yet unless it's to facilitate a salary dump. I wish the NHL would get rid of the 3 point game to help separate the standings a bit more. A win is worth a point, a loss (regardless of it happens in OT or SO) is worth 0 points. This could create more sellers which would improve the trade market

Overall I think this why we aren't seeing many blockbusters this season. Unless a team is willing to tank or give up on this season and re-tool for next season, I find it unlikely that Bergevin will be able to find a trade partner that will give him the long term piece they need before the deadine. Habs are likely going to bring another rental or two at the deadline and that will be it until the summer.

Edited by John B

Plus Subban, Markov, Petry, and Emelin all have some sort of NTC or NMC.

Just to clarify, Subban doesn't have a no-trade provision yet as he's too young. It kicks in when he turns 27 and if he were to be dealt before then, it would go away entirely.

You're right on the other 3 - Petry and Emelin are full ones (Emelin's drops to a partial on July 1st) while Markov can be traded to over half the teams in the league without having to go to him; his NTC is only 12 teams.

Thanks for the clarification. I forgot that Subban's NTC doesn't kick in until he's 27.

Another minor deal according to thefourthperiod.com and the tsn ticker, Rangers just dealt Emerson Etem to Vancouver for Nicklas Jensen and a 6th.

Edited by John B

But seems Tinordi is like the 9th or 10th d-man now, so why keep him all year sitting in pressbox (especially when we all already knew what he brought to the table during the summer and that Pateryn-Beaulieu had both passed him, shouldn't they of had a plan 'B' or C to deal with depth on defense?)

Plan A should be send Emelin to Siberia, and keep Tinordi since a dozen eggs has more value than him right now... Then play him in Emelin's spot because he could do a better job than Emelin in the long run...

Subban & Markov have 3g 46a between them, why are both having so much difficulty scoring?

On pace for 6g and Petry has more goals then those two combined...who would of predicted that?

Notwithstanding his 10 goals last season, one of the things I noticed about Markov when he returned from his catastrophic injuries was that his slap shot no longer had the zip that it used to. I don't expect him to be scoring all that much.

Subban is a whole other story. I don't know what the hell is going on with that point blast of his. It's got to be a mental issue at this point.

Notwithstanding his 10 goals last season, one of the things I noticed about Markov when he returned from his catastrophic injuries was that his slap shot no longer had the zip that it used to. I don't expect him to be scoring all that much.

Subban is a whole other story. I don't know what the hell is going on with that point blast of his. It's got to be a mental issue at this point.

I think a coach might be telling him not to do that. Kinda like Don Cherry telling Bobby Orr not to rush the puck so much. Oh wait Cherry was smarter that that. Wow, who woulda thunk that. You can't change a thoroughbred, you may be able to guide it.

Guest Stogey24

Markov is losing it man. Many of us on here said the 3 year contract was 1 too many years. It's really starting to look like that is true

Markov is losing it man. Many of us on here said the 3 year contract was 1 too long. It's really starting to look like that is true

Hey pick me first I said to trade him when he had value. 3 years ago. And I love the guy.

Markov is losing it man. Many of us on here said the 3 year contract was 1 too long. It's really starting to look like that is true

It didn't take a genius to know that three years was on the long side, but it takes two to tango. Markov wanted term, we wanted Markov; ergo a three-year pact.

It didn't take a genius to know that three years was on the long side, but it takes two to tango. Markov wanted term, we wanted Markov; ergo a three-year pact.

Exactly, you want year 1 and 2 of markov, the price is paying for year 3... thats business in a cap world.

Exactly, you want year 1 and 2 of markov, the price is paying for year 3... thats business in a cap world.

Or you trade him when he has value. Now? No value, and barely capable. Asset management, go back and look I got creamed, just ask Illwill, he still hates me over that one.

Guest Stogey24

Or you trade him when he has value. Now? No value, and barely capable. Asset management, go back and look I got creamed, just ask Illwill, he still hates me over that one.

Ah, I don't know man. He's been a big part of this organization... I hear ya though

Thats the gamble you take.

Hindsight is 20/20 though.... You wouldn't have had Markov in the 2014 playoffs, a year that if Price isn't injured by Kreider we might have made the cup final.

It makes no sense to trade prospects and picks for guys like Vanek, and then sell Markov at the same time for prospects and picks, cause we don't want to re-sign him. Its chasing your tail.

You either are going for it, or you're selling assets, you can't be both.

Guest Stogey24

That's the route they wound up taking with Plekanec earlier this year, went a bit higher on the money to keep the term low (and avoid any NTC/NMC's).

Makes sense. Especially under Markov's circumstances

Did anyone else watch the Caps/Rangers game this afternoon? The more I watch the Caps, the more I am impressed with them and convinced that they are the favorites to win it all this year. Today, not their best game, blew a 2-0 lead to go down 3-2 after a couple of bad bounce/deflection goals. They did not quit, they turned it up a notch and got the tie. Then, in OT, Ovechkin end-to-end to win it, with speed and power we can only dream of as Habs fans (I'd sell my soul to the devil to see him in a Habs jersey, not even kidding).