Khudobin?

Lovett's Magnatones

Sure, Tokarski had a nice game, but he's struggled in the past. Condon, after a hot start, faded. What if Carey Price has setback #3? Condon still has waiver eligibility, meaning I would send him down, waive Tokarski (good riddance) and pick up Khudobin, who just didn't fit into the plans in Anaheim.

he's a .908 this season, and was 900 last season.

Is that better than Condon/Tokarski?

Or is it a waste of 2.25 million in cap space for more of the same?

Personally, I wouldn't use the cap space on khudobin when Price will be back soon enough.... save that money for a RW sniper for the top 6.

I think that if the Habs pick up Khudobin, it signals that Price's injury situation is not as straightforward as it first appeared,

I wouldn't be shocked if they did try to claim him though I don't expect him to wind up a Hab. (I have my doubts he gets that far down the list.)

I would classify him as an upgrade on Tokarski at the very least and he has a bit more of a track record than Condon. Khudobin is a better goalie than what Condon has provided in recent weeks although how much of that is just fatigue setting in. And if it wound up forcing Condon to the minors, it wouldn't be the end of the world for him to play more down there.

The cap space is the big question - is it worth adding $1.6875 M? (Khudobin's cap hit minus Tokarski's as they wouldn't carry three goalies - and that number would again drop when Price returned when Condon would be sent down or Khudobin re-waived.) That would cut the Habs' current cap space (and I emphasize current as any roster move changes this by a fair bit) by about 48%, less when Price returns and the second goalie goes down. Add in the space that they'll need to activate Kassian if and when he's ready to return and all of a sudden, there isn't a whole lot left.

To be honest, I was more optimistic towards the idea of claiming Khudobin at the start of this post than I am now...

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't be shocked if they did try to claim him though I don't expect him to wind up a Hab. (I have my doubts he gets that far down the list.)

I would classify him as an upgrade on Tokarski at the very least and he has a bit more of a track record than Condon. Khudobin is a better goalie than what Condon has provided in recent weeks although how much of that is just fatigue setting in. And if it wound up forcing Condon to the minors, it wouldn't be the end of the world for him to play more down there.

The cap space is the big question - is it worth adding $1.6875 M? (Khudobin's cap hit minus Tokarski's as they wouldn't carry three goalies - and that number would again drop when Price returned when Condon would be sent down or Khudobin re-waived.) That would cut the Habs' current cap space (and I emphasize current as any roster move changes this by a fair bit) by about 48%, less when Price returns and the second goalie goes down. Add in the space that they'll need to activate Kassian if and when he's ready to return and all of a sudden, there isn't a whole lot left.

To be honest, I was more optimistic towards the idea of claiming Khudobin at the start of this post than I am now...

HAHAHAHA

Yeah, I didn't think his cap hit would be that much. But we'll all regret it if we have to use Toke/Condon again in the playoffs.

If we have to use Toke/Condon in the playoffs, we are sunk.

But are we any better off with Khudobin in the playoffs? Not really, I still think we are sunk.

By sunk i still think we could win a round vs the right opponent, but we aren't winning the cup.

The guys we'd need to win the cup without Price, aren't available via waivers or trade right now.

Bottom line: like 90% of NHL contenders, we need our #1 goalie to be healthy if we want to go far in the playoffs. Goaltending is too important at playoff time.

Goal tending is not our problem. Period. We need offence wasting money on a useless pick up is not MB's style. We need a right winger/center who can score. We have good goalies, the losses cannot and should not be blamed on them. The core of this team pissed the bed for 4 games. That includes PK Patches Markov and a bunch of others. we need a goal scorer not a goalie.

Goal tending is not our problem. Period. We need offence wasting money on a useless pick up is not MB's style. We need a right winger/center who can score. We have good goalies, the losses cannot and should not be blamed on them. The core of this team pissed the bed for 4 games. That includes PK Patches Markov and a bunch of others. we need a goal scorer not a goalie.

Ok, who do you have in mind?

Guest Stogey24

That's funny!

I leave that to MB cause he knows who is available and I don't. Do you claim to?

I mean just for speculation sake, I would have to say Vrbata. Expiring deal, compatible player, and MB has done business with Vancouver. He was also rumored to make an offer when he was UFA.

I don't know If Vrbrata would do well in Montreal's system

Isn't he a "go to the net hard" type of guy? That would be nice right now with Gally out...

I'd wait a bit closer to the deadline, and my preference would be to see if someone younger and with multiple years on their contract shakes loose.

If that doesn't happen i look into which of the following UFAs to be are available: in order of preference (obviously some won't be made available for trade, and some won't be available to us, but just a list of UFAs to be).

Stamkos
Ladd

Hudler

Nielsen

Okposo

Eriksson

E. Staal

Jagr

Boedker

Backes

Vrbata

Doan
Brouwer

Perron

Stempniak

I'd wait a bit closer to the deadline, and my preference would be to see if someone younger and with multiple years on their contract shakes loose.

If that doesn't happen i look into which of the following UFAs to be are available: in order of preference (obviously some won't be made available for trade, and some won't be available to us, but just a list of UFAs to be).

Stamkos

Ladd

Hudler

Nielsen

Okposo

Eriksson

E. Staal

Jagr

Boedker

Backes

Vrbata

Doan

Brouwer

Perron

Stempniak

definitely no to khudobin.

YES to okposo... he is extremely underrated... i think

I mean just for speculation sake, I would have to say Vrbata. Expiring deal, compatible player, and MB has done business with Vancouver. He was also rumored to make an offer when he was UFA.

Ya know I had to look him up but he does have some interesting stats. Signed as a free agent by Van. 34 years old. Hey if we don't have to give up much could be OK.

What do you think would have to go the other way? How about Gilbert? :)

Actually I just looked at his salary 5 million cap hit. that would be the problem, we can't afford him for what he brings.

Gee man, I don't know if we are really in a position to trade Gilbert anymore, Tinordi not what we hoped and no depth outside Pateryn really, I wouldn't be too comfortable trading Gilbert, I think he's been pretty damn good lately.