Dec. 26, Habs vs Capitals, 7 PM

dlbalr

My suggestions:

1. Reassemble Weise-DD-Margaine.

2. Put Pleks back with Patches.

3. Remove Emelin, add Pateryn.

4. Hope that Condon can build on the second half of the Caps game and get on a bit of a roll

None of this is any guarantee. As long as Pleks, Patches, and DD are struggling, Petry is playing hurt, and Markov is substandard, we're going to lose a lot of games.

Guest Stogey24

My suggestions:

4. Hope that Condon can build on the second half of the Caps game and get on a bit of a roll

None of this is any guarantee. As long as Pleks, Patches, and DD are struggling, Petry is playing hurt, and Markov is substandard, we're going to lose a lot of games.

Has the panic button been hit?

For those hoping Andrighetto would get back in, you'll get your wish there as Therrien announced after practice that he'll play vs Tampa tomorrow (who wants to take the GDT?). He skated with Fleischmann and Plekanec in practice. Condon gets the start.

Galchenyuk played most of any centre yesterday, but I agree and would love to see him (and Eller) play 17+ every game.

Why Eller?

Galchenyuk has been playing well, but Eller has been the epitomy of useless during this run. Despite the fact galchenyuk is getting the most points on the team during this stretch, eller has one solitary assist.

Some of you need to put down the stat book. Eller does many other things that benefit his linemates. That's why hockey is a team game. There are hundreds of mini-battles within every single game. Watch more closely, please. Do I think Eller will ever break any scoring records? Absolutely not, but he's still an asset to the team.

Some of you need to put down the stat book. Eller does many other things that benefit his linemates. That's why hockey is a team game. There are hundreds of mini-battles within every single game. Watch more closely, please. Do I think Eller will ever break any scoring records? Absolutely not, but he's still an asset to the team.

But if they can get a silk purse for a pig's ear, it is time for him to go. We need goals not guys who can't find the sweet spot.

Dd plek and Chucky are all 2nd line centres. Eller is an overpaid 3rd line Centre with excellent skill at protecting the puck, but little else. He is not a top six guy. Wing or centre. The issue with the forward group is team balance. MB balanced the defense and fixed the bottom 6, but the top 6 is not balanced. One or more of Eller dd or Plek need to go and be replaced by a winger and maybe a big Joe stall johanson type centre. Until that happens, we will lament when the team struggles. At the moment Pacioretty is the only first liner on the team. Gallagher is as well but hurt. Gally returning will readjust the depth, but the glaring whole at 1st line Centre and 2nd line RW will still be there.

I watch every game...

Yeah he maybe does a few little things like win faceoffs and play well in his own zone.... but Torrey Mitchell does those same things, and Mitchell actually does them better.

You don't pay 3.5 million for those things, nor do you play that player 20 minutes a night.

Put it this way..when Torrey Mitchell played with Alex (although briefly) Alex disappeared. AG is very familar with Eller. In the past year, Alex's overall defensive game has improved and Eller is partly responsible for that, no doubt. I know, Alex has gotten stronger as well, but he's learned how to play in his own end. It's not Ellers fault that Mitchell signed here dirt cheap either. As far as Mitchell being anything other than a standout 4th line center, is a stretch. He's doing an amazing job where he's at.

Alex is our most talented centre.... I'm not saying Mitchell should play wing for him, but Eller hasn't proved capable of being a top 6 winger either.

It doesn't matter how many "little things" you do, at the end of the day we need goals.... and Eller isn't helping to produce those. Maybe he's a good third liner (and whether we are paying him too much for that role is another debate),. but I don't think its a debate that if he is gonna be in the top six he either needs to produce numbers, or we need someone in the role of riding shotgun for Alex who can score.

IF we are gonna give a player 18-20 minutes a night... and play him with Galchenyuk, he needs to be able to get more than 30 points in a season (something Eller has never done).

How can we expect x amount of points from him when Therrien keeps them under wraps? Max, Plex, Weise and even DD have been given keys to the castle and they've gotten squat in Dec? I mentioned MT should increase AG's lines icetime because the top line clearly isn't cutting it. Alex's line seems to be the only line that competes night after night. Love Carr btw. And maybe the minutes swap will awaken Max from his slumber?

Eller is not a second-liner because he does not, and never will, produce offense commensurate with that role. Lots of players 'do little things well; it doesn't make them top-6 players. In the current context, however, AG's line is playing well as a whole, so leave it alone.

Should it become our de facto #1 line, assuming these designations (1st/2nd/3rd, etc.) to be meaningful? As long as it's the only line actually creating any chances and/or energy, then yes. (The Catch-22 here is, is AG's line producing because it's not the #1 line,- benefiting from the checkers being drawn to Patches, Pleks, DD, etc.? I don't know, but it's something to keep in mind).

Carey Price healthy.

I just don't now about that now. Sure, they'll win more games, but this losing streak reeks of the end of the playoffs each year where the team just doesn't seem to have the horses.

Granted, the losing streak (which heretofore may just be known as "The Streak") is bringing these warts to the surface. The roster today and the roster that starts the playoffs can be very different.

Lars Eller is a great third liner. At a million less a year, he has one of the better deals in the league. Eller is one of the only players on the team that can cycle the puck. That may be a "little thing" but much bigger in the way "moving the puck" is a little thing in the defensive zone.

His problem is the expectations and the flashes of being a top line player he shows every season.

I just don't now about that now. Sure, they'll win more games, but this losing streak reeks of the end of the playoffs each year where the team just doesn't seem to have the horses.

Granted, the losing streak (which heretofore may just be known as "The Streak") is bringing these warts to the surface. The roster today and the roster that starts the playoffs can be very different.

The Streak does have a vibe similar to the TB series, although the team at present is playing much worse than it did there. The similarity resides in the fact that the team lost some key games they deserved to win, and that seems to have completely sucked it dry of self-belief. 'We can't win even when we execute perfectly and control the play; what's the use?'

(On a deeper level, it reminds me alarmingly of the second half of 2008-09, and insofar as you guys detect a residue of panic in my post, it's probably owing to the lingering trauma from that season ;) ).

If there's any logic here, it probably does reside in the innate streakiness of our key offensive producers (especially Patches and Pleks, who are admirably consistent on a year-by-year basis, but prone to funks within any given season), and the lack of offensive depth to make up for it. That mythical Top-6 RW we all want wouldn't be the magic bullet, but he could help to bring us to critical mass against debacles like this.

My suggestions:

I agree, there is no panic here just simply reset to the lines that worked for the better part of a month, the mental aspect of playing in lines you know worked earlier in the season could pay huge dividends to getting mentally out of the slump and starting there.

How can we expect x amount of points from him when Therrien keeps them under wraps? Max, Plex, Weise and even DD have been given keys to the castle and they've gotten squat in Dec? I mentioned MT should increase AG's lines icetime because the top line clearly isn't cutting it. Alex's line seems to be the only line that competes night after night. Love Carr btw. And maybe the minutes swap will awaken Max from his slumber?

Its not all on the coach.... Eller has been given plenty of opportunities, its been 6 years now. He's never produced numbers.

Again it comes back to this... TORREY FREAKING MITCHELL, produces more ppg, in less minutes, and with less talented linemates. Eller plays with AG now. There is no excuse for having 12 points in 37 games other than to say he isn't a top 6 player. 15 minutes a game or not, he's gotta be on pace for more than 30 points and he's not