I thought Bergevin was smart!

bob

Was the latest giveaway of players because his heart is still in Chicago? As a lifelong Habs fan from the US things just keep getting more disgusting. In essence we gave up 24 more goals between the 2 players and certainly this guy isn't going to pick up that slack. While other teams are making moves, ours is showing its stupidity. We can't and won't win with Plecanec as #1 Center. We can't and won't win with Mrs. Eller playing alongside Galchenyuk. We can't and won't win making trades for the likes of 3rd string goalie Scrivens. We can't and won't win without another top D man to take the place of Emelin. (have you ever looked at just how many times he's attempted to shoot the puck?) - no one ever has to guard him. We can't and won't win without another top winger either. Oh yes, and finally, we can't and won't win until that Jimmy Durante nosed Therrien gets off PK's back and lets him play like the superstar he is. .............. Geoffrey Molson .....where the heck are you. It sure is hard to be PROUD anymore.

Bob

So your officially off the bangwagon, is that what you are saying? :blush:

I kinda liked the Weise & X trade, definitely wouldn't call it a disgusting move.

So if had of traded for a better goalie, we would be a contender right now? Oh forgot, also should of added a quality top-4 d-man, new #1 centre, scoring RW.. wonder why Habs Mgmt never thought of those moves, maybe you do have a valid point and they are stupid.

I don't want to defend Bergevin because he's made his fair share of mistakes especially this season and with some of the contract extensions he's handed out over the years. This recent trade though is not a mistake it was a smart move especially given the value other players are getting. I'm also not going to get bent out of shape if he doesn't do anything else at the deadline. He does however need to be very active at the draft and free agency to fix this top 6.

The fact though is you mention Eller, Emelin, and Plekanec but truth is we're actually playing pretty good right now with where they are in the lineup. The main culprit in my eyes is Desharnais and you didn't mention him. Not to hate on him but he's just too trusted by the coaching staff and just isn't good enough to warrant the ice time and line mates he gets. Ideally i'd like to see Desharnais and Emelin replaced going into next season and would be disappointed if both are back and only Eller is moved.

I don't think DD or Eller are culprits. Just miscast. Both are over paid by about 500 to a million. Both are playing top 6 minutes which neither of them should play. I think either player is a good third line Centre and can bring different elements to the team. I just don't think either should ever be in the top 6. MB did make some mistakes in his 4 years here. Signing DD, Eller, and especially Emelin to those big deals have hurt the team. For the last 4 years the team has had a big hole in the top 6. (Filled with retreads and reclamation projects and rentals), and a big hole in the number 3 defense slot. MB filled that spot with Petry, who may also end up overpaid. (I'm on the fence there) I do know that Petry is a suitable #3 right now.

Now he needs to fill one top 6 spot. Either a #1 center or two #2 wingers should do it. Defensive depth looks pretty strong. Veteran fourth liners get made fun of a lot, but for ages Montreal GMs have failed to fill that slot effectively. I'm sure MB knows that one of Eller or DD needs to go bye bye. And if he can find someone to take Emelin, I'm positive he will do that too. I'm not hating MB yet. He has definitely made some mistakes but he has made some good moves too. A couple legitimate top 6ers or a true elite number 1 Centre, and this team is ready to return to their recent success and hopefully more.

Petry is probably overpaid by a bit right now, but that's not that uncommon for potential UFAs. Teams have very little leverage in negotiations with UFAs. Especially sought after ones like Petry was last season. That's the tough part with trying to fill holes through free agency. It's not a problem unique to the Canadiens. It happens to all teams around the league. Overpaying is unavoidable in pro sports.

I am starting to think maybe I am a bit blinded by the horrible former gms we have had the last 20 years. MB hasnt been as bad as them yet but instead of one big horrible trade (Gomez, Roy) he has given away way to much capspace on thirdliners and third pairing d.

I dont want him fired but I want him to really make some good moves this summer and maybe another one now at the deadline.

There is no fan base like this one in terms of malcontents, that's for sure.

Bergevin has done some good things, that are often overlooked and forgotten when it fits the "Bergevin sucks" theme.

A few things that come to mind for me are:

We have Subban for longer in his prime, sure it can be argued, bridge deal or not, but the bottom line is we have him longer.

He brought in Waite as goaltending coach, and Price reached the next level as evidenced by last year's trophies and season for the ages. That is a big hell yeah! Remember the doubt surrounding Price a couple years back?

Gallagher is signed long term at a friendly rate.

Plekanec has no NTC.

Petry deal was good, so was Vanek deal, and without Petry playing injured all season, he would have shown that he can be a #3 dman.

Habs aren't in too bad of a position for the next few seasons in terms of cap management, and the 3rd/4th line depth is signed at a reasonable rate, albeit the farm has plenty of 3rd/4th line prospects, we don't actually know if they will pan out, so we have veterans signed pretty cheap.

He has improved the club, he has improved on the directionless management of his predecessors, and our prospect pool, because if Bournival was your best prospect a couple years ago, it meant we had no talent in our prospect pool!

And to me, the best quality he has shown is the ability to keep his plans quiet, he never talks too much. He also said in light of this season's alignment of stars to our demise, that "we will get through this as a team, together" and I for one have confidence that he does indeed have the mindset and desire to build us like where he learned his trade, the Blackhawks, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I think we owe him some loyalty for the improved team since he came, and we owe him the chance to redeem himself at this year's draft and UFA period.

But that's just me...

There is no fan base like this one in terms of malcontents, that's for sure.

Bergevin has done some good things, that are often overlooked and forgotten when it fits the "Bergevin sucks" theme.

A few things that come to mind for me are:

We have Subban for longer in his prime, sure it can be argued, bridge deal or not, but the bottom line is we have him longer.

He brought in Waite as goaltending coach, and Price reached the next level as evidenced by last year's trophies and season for the ages. That is a big hell yeah! Remember the doubt surrounding Price a couple years back?

Gallagher is signed long term at a friendly rate.

Plekanec has no NTC.

Petry deal was good, so was Vanek deal, and without Petry playing injured all season, he would have shown that he can be a #3 dman.

Habs aren't in too bad of a position for the next few seasons in terms of cap management, and the 3rd/4th line depth is signed at a reasonable rate, albeit the farm has plenty of 3rd/4th line prospects, we don't actually know if they will pan out, so we have veterans signed pretty cheap.

He has improved the club, he has improved on the directionless management of his predecessors, and our prospect pool, because if Bournival was your best prospect a couple years ago, it meant we had no talent in our prospect pool!

And to me, the best quality he has shown is the ability to keep his plans quiet, he never talks too much. He also said in light of this season's alignment of stars to our demise, that "we will get through this as a team, together" and I for one have confidence that he does indeed have the mindset and desire to build us like where he learned his trade, the Blackhawks, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I think we owe him some loyalty for the improved team since he came, and we owe him the chance to redeem himself at this year's draft and UFA period.

But that's just me...

Couldn't agree with you more..

The only real mistake i see by Bergevin is the extension to Therrien. But how do you blame him? 2013 & 2014 seasons were successes and Therriens system seemed to work.

Dearth of talent you say? Well Bergevins draft picks are just starting to reach the NHL level. I think he drafted Galchenyuk 3rd overall, but other than that hes had low 1st round picks. Lets see how McCarron, Scherbak and Juulsen develop.

You cant expect Bergevin to swindle every gm in the league.

Clearly Montreal relys too much on Price.

But Therriens system strips all the offensive players of any creativity whatsoever.

I believe Therrien will be fired, and with a better coaching Pacioretty, Plekanec, Galchenyuk, Eller, Subban and others could see better offensive days ahead.

Therrien had better be fired. I've been a defender of his, but the time has come to turn the page.

In terms of Bergevin's overall performance: as Mao once said of the French Revolution's impact, it's too soon to tell. This was the first year in which the 'window' was open, and it was a disaster, but only a hysterical scapegoater could conclude that that was MB's fault. He showed a cool head by not panicking and compromising the future in order to shore up the Titanic. I'm glad that he did.

However, we cannot wait around forever for him to give the core of Price/PK/Patches/Gal(l)ys the kind of reinforcement that they obviously require in order to contend. Personally, I give him until Trade Deadline Day 2017 to add the necessary pieces: at least one top-6 FW, preferably two; and preferably a top-4 LD. It is no longer possible to delude ourselves that this forward unit is Cup-worthy, or that Markov can be a core piece any more, even assuming a healthy Carey Price. MB has to address all or most of this within the coming 365 days.