Canadiens officially eliminated from 2016 playoffs

Well it's all over now. Flyers and Wings both have 85 points and they play each other so one will have 87 points for the last wildcard spot. Most Habs can get is 86. So sad and unpredictable. Can this team recover from this debacle? Surely this has done some psychological damage. I can't see this team going forward with Therrien even with a healthy Price. There has to be a coaching change.

Well it's all over now. Flyers and Wings both have 85 points and they play each other so one will have 87 points for the last wildcard spot. Most Habs can get is 86. So sad and unpredictable. Can this team recover from this debacle? Surely this has done some psychological damage. I can't see this team going forward with Therrien even with a healthy Price. There has to be a coaching change.

I agree that we can't go into next year without some kind of important change, and that a coaching change is the obvious way to achieve this. We need to turn the page in a fundamental way. The players need to return in September with a totally different mindset.

Beyond that, of course, this team needs top-6 forwards. The most realistic expectation, to my mind, is a significant UFA signing of the 'Louie Erickson' variety.

I have no particular desire to see Washington win. In particular, I don't want Holtby to press his current advantage on Price. That could bode poorly for us in the future. My main concern right now is that Philly beat out the Bruins for the wildcard spot.

I have no particular desire to see Washington win. In particular, I don't want Holtby to press his current advantage on Price. That could bode poorly for us in the future. My main concern right now is that Philly beat out the Bruins for the wildcard spot.

Eh? The only reason Holtby is the best goalie in the NHL is because Price is injured. Everyone knows it.

Eh? The only reason Holtby is the best goalie in the NHL is because Price is injured. Everyone knows it.

He is already pretty close to Price in terms of excellence. He is, therefore, dangerous, in that he has the potential to be a neutralizer of our single biggest advantage in any future playoff series. If he wins a Cup, he has that well of self-confidence to draw from for years to come - the aura that comes from being a champion, as well as an edge in experience that Price actually does not have, given that he's never even been to the Finals. I don't want to make too much of it, but I think we're crazy to WANT to see a Conference rival gain that extra edge, seeing as we may have to get through them if we ever want to arrive at the Promised Land.

Guest Stogey24

That's where I've been at since December. Love Holtby, want Ovechkin to hoist the Cup high, want an East team to win.

Ya, I hear ya. The emergence of Kuztezov is huge.

St.louis is a pretty scary team from the west too. I really think they have a shot this year.

I wouldn't rule out Nashville either. I know it's not an obvious choice, but me, I always look to a team's defence and goaltending. They have the potential to outclass everyone else in that respect.

Ya, I hear ya. The emergence of Kuztezov is huge.

St.louis is a pretty scary team from the west too. I really think they have a shot this year.

St. Louis is a team I rarely ever give confidence to in the playoffs. I just don't buy into whatever goalie they put in net and haven't since Fuhr in the mid 90s. I consider them and San Jose to be perennial pretenders.

Washington is likely that in the East due to their season championships 10 years ago over and over but this year is different with Kuz, Holtby and Williams. They just look like a complete team. I just don't look at any other team in the NHL and feel they put themselves over the top. If it wasn't for that stupid trade that sent Forsberg to Nashville they'd likely already have a Cup and be on their way to a dynasty.

I will be cheering on the Caps this post-season.

As for the Habs, I really hope Carey Price looks MB in the eye during exit interviews and tells him in no uncertain terms that he will not re-sign here for any amount of money if the team doesn't improve drastically. Carey has the power to light a fire under our GM's ass unlike any other, and it just may take such a threat to make things happen on a more aggressive timeline.

He is already pretty close to Price in terms of excellence. He is, therefore, dangerous, in that he has the potential to be a neutralizer of our single biggest advantage in any future playoff series. If he wins a Cup, he has that well of self-confidence to draw from for years to come - the aura that comes from being a champion, as well as an edge in experience that Price actually does not have, given that he's never even been to the Finals. I don't want to make too much of it, but I think we're crazy to WANT to see a Conference rival gain that extra edge, seeing as we may have to get through them if we ever want to arrive at the Promised Land.

Holtby has been rather ordinary since January.

As for the Habs, I really hope Carey Price looks MB in the eye during exit interviews and tells him in no uncertain terms that he will not re-sign here for any amount of money if the team doesn't improve drastically. Carey has the power to light a fire under our GM's ass unlike any other, and it just may take such a threat to make things happen on a more aggressive timeline.

I think Bergevin knows the team has a window. He doesn't need Price to threaten him.

I think Bergevin knows the team has a window. He doesn't need Price to threaten him.

You would hope so...but given his record of making more 3rd/4th line 'garbage for garbage' type deals than impact moves, a little insurance wouldn't hurt.

You would hope so...but given his record of making more 3rd/4th line 'garbage for garbage' type deals than impact moves, a little insurance wouldn't hurt.

A public spat could send everything into an even bigger implosion even though it would make entertaining television.

Well, to my mind, this sort of scenario has more to do with fan wish-fulfillment than rational analysis. We want to see our frustration with this grotesque season reflected in the actions of management. But frustration is not a sound basis from which to make decisions that have long-term ramifications for the organization.

Personally, I like the fact that Bergevin has demonstrated impressive levels of sang-froid throughout this nightmare, refusing to make panic or desperation moves. And I like the fact that he declined to trade away important future assets for short-term help back when he was working from a strong hand, prior to Price's injury.

With all of that said, I've maintained for a while that the upcoming 12 months will be decisive for his tenure. He needs to address most or all of the structural weaknesses within that span. So I agree with you on that (as anybody would). I just don't think dramatic gestures and threats from team leaders are the way to go. This franchise needs cold-eyed intelligence, not more drama.

No one is, not one goalie right now is putting up the numbers that Price did last season in SV% and GAA, only the wins category is being matched. And considering the type of team Price had in front of him being evident this year, his numbers last year were even more remarkable now. Holtby or anyone else for that matter couldn't even attempt those numbers with this team in front of them ,let alone not being able to hit them with a team like Washington in front of him.

Come on now, Price is in a league of his own, this season only cemented that further for everyone not the other way around. The man makes a non-playoff team look like a conference final team, what do you think he would do for a top 4 seed team?

Carey is not that kind of guy. He is a quiet leader, not a guy to create big waves in the organization and flood the boat.

No one is, not one goalie right now is putting up the numbers that Price did last season in SV% and GAA, only the wins category is being matched. And considering the type of team Price had in front of him being evident this year, his numbers last year were even more remarkable now. Holtby or anyone else for that matter couldn't even attempt those numbers with this team in front of them ,let alone not being able to hit them with a team like Washington in front of him.

Come on now, Price is in a league of his own, this season only cemented that further for everyone not the other way around. The man makes a non-playoff team look like a conference final team, what do you think he would do for a top 4 seed team?

Well, if and when Price and Cup champion Holtby duke it out in a future playoff, we'll see whether my concerns are well-founded.

As for the Habs being a 'non-playoff team' without Price, it's a complete myth created by the fact that we went from the league's best goaltending to the league's worst. Give us good goaltending and we never would have had the meltdown we did. Now, of course, people are pointing to our current roster - decimated by injuries and a trade deadline sell-off - as though somehow THAT is the 'real' Habs. Ridiculous.

That said, am I trying to deny that Price is the best of the best? Definitely not.

To me it is like when Hasek was the best hockey player in the world but you had guys like Roy, Brodeur, Belfour and Joseph in the league as well. Price is the Hasek in the analogy while Holtby, Schneider, Rinne (not so much this year) and Lundqvist are the other four. There's a divide but it's not major.

Holtby's had our number, but I don't think we need to worry about him as a rival to Carey. More that if they have even good goaltending then the rest of their squad would just totally outclass ours if we're back in the playoff picture next year. I'm cheering for Washington like most, but I'm a little worried that if Ovi gets a Cup people will start to say that he was better than Sid all along, which is not the case!

I like this idea :halm:

Now the healing begins, and I can only hope Bergevin's first day of the summer is like the last scene in the Godfather:

-Therrien

-Desharnais

-Desharnais

-Therrien

-Tattaglia

-Jewish guy with the bullet through the glasses

-DD

Clear out the company accounts.

Yeah and Galchenyuk wakes up with a bloody horse head in the bed sending the signal that he has to be a dominant #1 centre .

:gohabsgo:

Brian Eliiot is sporting a 1.95 Goals against average and a .934 save percentage, near identical to Carey's 1.96 and .933. That being said he's played 37 games to Carey's 66.