2016 NHL Playoffs Thread

dlbalr

Also could of had Denis Savard instead of Doug Wickenheiser and missed on Zetterburg in 4th, 5th and 6th rounds in 99. And why in hell did we take Gordie Dwyer & Markov in 98 6th round instead of Datsyuk & Markov?

The draft is the furthest thing from an exact science, which is why I think 95% of the discourse around draft day is sheer wind. There is no point - NONE - in raking over the coals of why we took player X instead of player Y back in 2003 or whatever it was. All you can ask from your organization is that, over time, is shows itself to be reliably effective in drafting quality NHLers. You really have to look at the aggregate rather than the particulars when it comes to drafting. Every team has plenty of examples it can point to where they 'should have' picked a different guy.

• Upvote 3

Nashville takes out the Ducks in 7 games (hey, I got one pick right at least...) Bruce Boudreau, welcome back to the hot seat.

The seat was too hot. Boudreau is gone, it's been announced today.

CC, that is main point I was trying to make to MoLG. And will be same this year, some Johnny Goudreau or Lucic-type will be passed over by Habs, go to another team in 2nd or later round and be a very good NHLer, but happens every year and nothing to keep harping on, AK46 was in 2003 and seems time to move on.

CC, that is main point I was trying to make to MoLG. And will be same this year, some Johnny Goudreau or Lucic-type will be passed over by Habs, go to another team in 2nd or later round and be a very good NHLer, but happens every year and nothing to keep harping on, AK46 was in 2003 and seems time to move on.

No, I agree. And anyone complaining about Kostitsyn over Getzlaf also needs to consider that we drafted a player who has become every bit as a good as a #1 overall pick would have been - PK Subban - in the SECOND ROUND. That little piece of genius drafting does not get nearly enough praise IMHO.

Boudreau never had Carey price or a goalie that even comes close to that. Having said that I'm not a Boudreau fan, but do think he is an upgrade to le genius.

I don't know why. Therrien has a track record of getting results commensurate with his team's talent. Boudreau doesn't.

I don't know why. Therrien has a track record of getting results commensurate with his team's talent. Boudreau doesn't.

Best regular season points % all-time (min 500 games):

Boudreau - .659

Bowman - .657

Also has a history of adjusting his coaching tactics mid-season (as required.)

I think he'd do well in Montreal.

Boudreau turns his team that sucked to start the season and turned a celler dweller into one of the top team in the conference by making adjustments and gets fired for losing in the playoffs (albeit 4 years running).

MT goes from 1st place to start the season to missing the playoffs and is returning... Something seems to be wrong with that picture.

Best regular season points % all-time (min 500 games):

Boudreau - .659

Bowman - .657

Also has a history of adjusting his coaching tactics mid-season (as required.)

I think he'd do well in Montreal.

Boudreau absolutely sucks at changing strategy against a coach in a playoff series. Even Therrien was able to out-coach Cooper once and Julien. Boudreau never wins by strategy. His biggest strategy is to constantly change his lines in hopes the opposing coach doesn't line match. If people don't like Therrien changing lines every game, Boudreau does it shift to shift.

Boudreau turns his team that sucked to start the season and turned a celler dweller into one of the top team in the conference by making adjustments and gets fired for losing in the playoffs (albeit 4 years running).

MT goes from 1st place to start the season to missing the playoffs and is returning... Something seems to be wrong with that picture.

Yeah one presides over the greatest melt down in habs history, the other turns the team around every where he has been. Has a problem with that 7th game. But I really don't think that is the coach. Boudreau finished 1st in the Nhl in several categories like P/p and P/K. He gets fired, our guy? Couldn't run a P/P if his life depended on it. Boudreau coaches in the west, a lot tougher than the east, and he get fired. There is definitely some thing wrong with this picture. But it has been said that Murray and Boudreau were not real close friends so maybe that has something to do with it.

It's not just game 7. In all of the ducks lay games 6's, they never led in any game. Even than I'd take him over le genius.

Yeah one presides over the greatest melt down in habs history, the other turns the team around every where he has been. Has a problem with that 7th game. But I really don't think that is the coach. Boudreau finished 1st in the Nhl in several categories like P/p and P/K. He gets fired, our guy? Couldn't run a P/P if his life depended on it. Boudreau coaches in the west, a lot tougher than the east, and he get fired. There is definitely some thing wrong with this picture. But it has been said that Murray and Boudreau were not real close friends so maybe that has something to do with it.

Therrien's resume is far better than Boudreau's. He's been to the Finals. He's gotten out of the first round with some reliability. And he too has taken a team that was a bottom-feeder and turned it around overnight. There is simply no rational reason, based on career achievement, to favour Boudreau over Therrien. But then again, the anti-Therrien sentiment left reason behind a long time ago.

Therrien's resume is far better than Boudreau's. He's been to the Finals. He's gotten out of the first round with some reliability. And he too has taken a team that was a bottom-feeder and turned it around overnight. There is simply no rational reason, based on career achievement, to favour Boudreau over Therrien. But then again, the anti-Therrien sentiment left reason behind a long time ago.

Really? 8 division titles with 2 different teams. fastest 400 wins for a coach,8 west quarter finals.4 west conf semi- finals. and a wcf. .659 winning % . I don't know pretty impressive. Yes he has a 1 and 6 record in game 7's but he has had some bad luck, and to me if the players can't get motivated for a 7th game, they shouldn't be playing hockey. How many cups has le Genius won? He went the cup final once and lost. That is his claim to fame. Sidney damn near got him a cup. He has missed the playoffs just as many times as he has finished 1st (3). No I am sorry but the stats favour Gabby by a big margin. But just my opinion. This year the Ducks sucked at the beginning, Bruce got it going the other way and finished 1st. Le Genius started out like a house on fire and finished where? Yeah you're right, we shouldn't talk about that. Bruce Boudreau is one of the most successful coaches in the NHL, Le Genius is a mediocre coach at best, who can be replaced quite easily. Gabby won't be out of work long. Le Genius would have to go back to AHL and start over.

I really doubt once MT gets fired he gets another NHL job.

Really? 8 division titles with 2 different teams. fastest 400 wins for a coach,8 west quarter finals.4 west conf semi- finals. and a wcf. .659 winning % . I don't know pretty impressive. Yes he has a 1 and 6 record in game 7's but he has had some bad luck, and to me if the players can't get motivated for a 7th game, they shouldn't be playing hockey. How many cups has le Genius won? He went the cup final once and lost. That is his claim to fame. Sidney damn near got him a cup. He has missed the playoffs just as many times as he has finished 1st (3). No I am sorry but the stats favour Gabby by a big margin. But just my opinion. This year the Ducks sucked at the beginning, Bruce got it going the other way and finished 1st. Le Genius started out like a house on fire and finished where? Yeah you're right, we shouldn't talk about that. Bruce Boudreau is one of the most successful coaches in the NHL, Le Genius is a mediocre coach at best, who can be replaced quite easily. Gabby won't be out of work long. Le Genius would have to go back to AHL and start over.

I really doubt once MT gets fired he gets another NHL job.

People said that about Martin. He got work in Pittsburgh and has been discussed as a coaching candidate for Ottawa. Worse than Therrien was Barry Melrose, who got a job with the Tampa Bay Lightning a decade after he was dismissed as useless. Pierre McGuire continues to come up as a GM possibility when he's had zero NHL experience since he got fired for being the worst NHL coach of the 90s. Never underestimate owners and GMs making decisions.

People said that about Martin. He got work in Pittsburgh and has been discussed as a coaching candidate for Ottawa. Worse than Therrien was Barry Melrose, who got a job with the Tampa Bay Lightning a decade after he was dismissed as useless. Pierre McGuire continues to come up as a GM possibility when he's had zero NHL experience since he got fired for being the worst NHL coach of the 90s. Never underestimate owners and GMs making decisions.

You have a good point there.

Boudreau has coached stacked teams. He has unquestionably had regular season success with those stacked teams. Good for him. Much more salient, to my mind, is that he has been a playoff mediocrity in TWO different cities DESPITE having stacked teams in both cases.

I notice that when Therrien has success, you attribute it entirely to superstars (Sid, Price) who are succeeding 'despite' MT. When Boudreau has success, that is clearly the result of his awesome coaching rather than the superstars he's been lucky enough to draw. :rolleyes: When MT's teams fail, it's MT's fault. When Boudreau's fail, it's 'bad luck' or the players' fault. This is circular reasoning at its finest.

Therrien has been to the Finals, to the Conference Finals twice, and four times to the second round, along with three divisional championships. He also took over a disastrous Habs team and coached it to first place in the Northeast. Considering the talent differential between MT's teams and Boudreau's, I'd call that at least comparable. The simple fact is that Therrien in NO WAY has a pattern of getting far worse results than his team's talent level would lead one to expect. Boudreau does.

Whoever hired Boudreau can keep him. If you put the two c.v.s side by side, the rational GM would pick Therrien.

• Upvote 1

Boudreau has coached stacked teams. He has unquestionably had regular season success with those stacked teams. Good for him. Much more salient, to my mind, is that he has been a playoff mediocrity it TWO different cities

DESPITE having stacked teams in both cases.

In Boudreau's defence, anyone who coaches the Ducks has to deal with an internal cap. In his time with the Ducks, several young players have blossomed and they have succeeded with one of the youngest bluelines in the league. That could be their internal system with Scott Neidermayer helping work with the blueliners, but that's under his watch. His coaching tactics changed after their rough start and Bob Murray actually got off his ass to make some trades to help the club out instead of just watching them burn. I think credit should be given to Bruce to take a team that seems to always spend $7-$10 million under the cap to constantly be a top team in the Western Conference.

Now that all said? I'd love for him to coach a team in the Atlantic division that'll play us in the playoffs. He's easy to coach in a seven game series because he doesn't strategize beyond mixing his lines up constantly. And with word that he will probably coach Ottawa, I'm fine with that. We might lose a few games against Ottawa over the regular season which could hurt our record, but I wouldn't worry about a seven game series against the Sens with Boudreau coaching.

Boudreau has coached stacked teams. He has unquestionably had regular season success with those stacked teams. Good for him. Much more salient, to my mind, is that he has been a playoff mediocrity in TWO different cities DESPITE having stacked teams in both cases.

I notice that when Therrien has success, you attribute it entirely to superstars (Sid, Price) who are succeeding 'despite' MT. When Boudreau has success, that is clearly the result of his awesome coaching rather than the superstars he's been lucky enough to draw. :rolleyes: When MT's teams fail, it's MT's fault. When Boudreau's fail, it's 'bad luck' or the players' fault. This is circular reasoning at its finest.

Therrien has been to the Finals, to the Conference Finals twice, and four times to the second round, along with three divisional championships. He also took over a disastrous Habs team and coached it to first place in the Northeast. Considering the talent differential between MT's teams and Boudreau's, I'd call that at least comparable. The simple fact is that Therrien in NO WAY has a pattern of getting far worse results than his team's talent level would lead one to expect. Boudreau does.

Whoever hired Boudreau can keep him. If you put the two c.v.s side by side, the rational GM would pick Therrien.

Hey you said based on statistics, and I gave you stats that say he is a better coach. Where was washington before boudreau arrived? How does last place sound. The Ducks were accomplishing nothing 2012 when he got there. 1st every year after that. CC I was only answering what you said. MT is a mediocre coach. I will leave it at that. No point in wasting anymore time on this horse, it is dead.