2016 NHL Playoffs Thread

dlbalr

So basically Fleury will be traded come July

It's certainly a possibility. If there winds up being an expansion draft in 2017, Fleury will more than likely be exposed over Murray so the Pens may look to move him before then.

I really want Tampa to lose. It drives me batty that they can be this effective even without Stamkos. It's a similar (albeit less intense) feeling to the one I had in 2009, when the Bruins rebuild clearly started pulling away from our supposed rebuild and they left us in the dust. Once again a conference rival that rebuilt itself around the same time as us has clearly separated itself. Meanwhile, we flail around. Their 'secondary' players turn out to play awesome when it counts. Ours don't. They thrive even in the absence of their superstar. We don't. GRRRRRRR

I don't think anyone expected Kucherov and Johnson to be as good as they have become.

Yeah, well, I want US to be the team that has guys who 'nobody expected to be as good as they have become.' The only case I can think of where that worked in our favour in a top-tier-ish kind of way was Gallagher. By contrast, we get guys like Eller, in whom we invest big hopes, only to find him cap out at about 30 points per season. F*CK.

Yeah, well, I want US to be the team that has guys who 'nobody expected to be as good as they have become.' The only case I can think of where that worked in our favour in a top-tier-ish kind of way was Gallagher. By contrast, we get guys like Eller, in whom we invest big hopes, only to find him cap out at about 30 points per season. F*CK.

Gallagher and Subban.

But I get your point.

Gallagher and Subban.

But I get your point.

Actually, I thought of Subban, who was after all only a second-round pick despite having the career you'd expect from a #1 overall draft choice. But by the time he was called up, everyone had him pegged to be an impact player and possible star, so from that perspective he doesn't really count as a surprise.

(And anyway, as we all know, he is only the 7th or 8th best Canadian defenceman out there, so he's not really that great, right? :monkey: )

Actually, I thought of Subban, who was after all only a second-round pick despite having the career you'd expect from a #1 overall draft choice. But by the time he was called up, everyone had him pegged to be an impact player and possible star, so from that perspective he doesn't really count as a surprise.

(And anyway, as we all know, he is only the 7th or 8th best Canadian defenceman out there, so he's not really that great, right? :monkey: )

Maybe 9th best. Don't forget TJ Brodie :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Reilly and Robidas arnt as good as Subban. But, there seem to be at least 3 RH d-men that are.

Who wants Subban, Price or any Hab to play in that BS tournament anyways?

Reilly and Robidas arnt as good as Subban. But, there seem to be at least 3 RH d-men that are.

Well, more than to see Gallagher play in the World Championship that just ended.

Imagine if Gallagher had received a suicide pass from World Class dman Chris Tanev and got hit head down by World Class forward Patrick Maroon from the US team ? Could have get a concussion and miss a chance to beat World Class goalie Mikko Koskinen in the finals !

That would have been so great.

So basically Fleury will be traded come July

When your number is not in for the 7th game of series, he is not your #1. Never liked him. Never thought he was that good. They should trade but who the heck wants him? Like Brian said maybe an expansion team.

I would say that the majority of Hab fans would like to watch them in it. Not sure why a person would worry about an injury that could happen in the hundreds of other games they play in just as easy. Big game experience and learning from the best can only improve a player, just look at Price after the olympics

When your number is not in for the 7th game of series, he is not your #1. Never liked him. Never thought he was that good. They should trade but who the heck wants him? Like Brian said maybe an expansion team.

I think there would be a market for Fleury. My expansion comment basically was there to note that if there is expansion, that might up the timeline to move him as they'd likely prefer to get something for him this offseason than risk losing him in the draft (assuming they protect Murray).

There are a few teams who I could see wanting him if he was to be made available this summer - Toronto and Calgary have to come to mind any time there are goalies out there. Buffalo, Dallas, and Edmonton have #1's that aren't that good. Carolina has Ward that's heading to free agency this year leaving them with Eddie Lack so there's a possible opening there too. I don't think it'd be a huge market and considering Pittsburgh's cap situation, it wouldn't surprise me if they moved him primarily for cap space (some to go towards a #1B type of backup) but Fleury would fetch some interest.

Guest Stogey24

Fleury still put up good numbers in the reg season. St. Louis should take a look in his direction. Trade Elliot and a pick.

I would say that the majority of Hab fans would like to watch them in it. Not sure why a person would worry about an injury that could happen in the hundreds of other games they play in just as easy. Big game experience and learning from the best can only improve a player, just look at Price after the olympics

Yep, my take as well. The real issue is that this tournament is bogus - especially given the ludicrous way the NHL has set it up. Olympics or bust is my view.

Fleury still put up good numbers in the reg season. St. Louis should take a look in his direction. Trade Elliot and a pick.

The Blues still have Allen who they probably still view as a long-term starter (or at least a cost-effective 1B for now). They'll also need to re-sign or replace Backes/Brouwer and will have to re-sign Schwartz which should pretty well cap them out. I don't think they could really afford Fleury although that wouldn't be the worst fit for him either aside from the money.

Elliott had better numbers in the regular season.... and the blues are facing a cap crunch. They also have allen.

Personally i think fleury has a bad tendency to fold when the chips are down. I'd love to see the Leafs take on Fleury as the goalie for their rebuild.

Guest Stogey24

The Blues still have Allen who they probably still view as a long-term starter (or at least a cost-effective 1B for now). They'll also need to re-sign or replace Backes/Brouwer and will have to re-sign Schwartz which should pretty well cap them out. I don't think they could really afford Fleury although that wouldn't be the worst fit for him either aside from the money.

Just a team that came to mind.

Elliott had better numbers in the regular season.... and the blues are facing a cap crunch. They also have allen.

Personally i think fleury has a bad tendency to fold when the chips are down. I'd love to see the Leafs take on Fleury as the goalie for their rebuild.

Wouldn't be a terrible idea for the Leafs.

If I were religious, I would say Amen.

Yep, my take as well. The real issue is that this tournament is bogus - especially given the ludicrous way the NHL has set it up. Olympics or bust is my view.

I want to win a cup, I really could care less about this tournament. My point being we lose a couple of our big guns and we will not have a shot at a cup for another year. You only have to look at last year to figure it out. Price Gallagher Subban all injured and where did we end up, not in the playoffs and with middling draft pick.

• Upvote 1

I hear you, habs rule, but part of having superstars on your team is that they get recruited for international tourneys. Pittsburgh fans could say the same thing about Crosby, Caps fans about Ovechkin, Isles fans about Tavares, etc.

Meanwhile, Tampa is OUT. Thank Jeebus.

• Upvote 1

If it was the olympics, ok I could see that but this a phoney put together tournament, that does not really interest me. On the good side PK and Gallagher did not make it.