2016 World Championships Thread

dlbalr

Kane is nowhere near as one-dimensional as Ovechkin. Ovi only had 21 assists this year to go with his 50 goals. A player with Kane's vision has way more versatily to his game.

Sure, I believe if you parachute Ovi onto the Blackhawks in Kane's place they'd win Cups, but Ovi also wouldn't wear the C and the team wouldn't be built around him like it is in Washington. If he had Malkin's role beside Sid he'd be fine as well. But he's the clear cut best player and leader of the team, and doesn't have the all-around profile for it.

Kane is nowhere near as one-dimensional as Ovechkin. Ovi only had 21 assists this year to go with his 50 goals. A player with Kane's vision has way more versatily to his game.

Sure, I believe if you parachute Ovi onto the Blackhawks in Kane's place they'd win Cups, but Ovi also wouldn't wear the C and the team wouldn't be built around him like it is in Washington. If he had Malkin's role beside Sid he'd be fine as well. But he's the clear cut best player and leader of the team, and doesn't have the all-around profile for it.

Only 21a, what a POS and am sure Caps fans are very disappointed with him.

Andrighetto gets 1a in Swiss upset loss to some former Soviet union country.

Guest Stogey24

Looks like Eller playing wing. Just watched a bit of the first.

Pretty sure Eller has 4 high sticking

penalties lol.

Sorry, two double minors and one minor.

Edited by Stogey24

Reway centred Slovakia's top line today alongside Marko Dano and Martin Bakos and went pointless in 18:31.

Bozon centred France's third line and logged over 16 minutes of ice time which is a whole lot more than I thought he'd get. I'm also quite surprised they're playing him at centre considering he didn't play there very often with St. John's.

Condon will get the start for the US later on against Belarus.

So goals and assists is two dimensions?

Is Ovi throwing big hits and playing way more physical than Kane, another dimension or not.

C'mon man, you're grasping at straws here.

Every piece of evidence shows that Ovechkin hasn't been the caps problem over the years

So goals and assists is two dimensions?

Is Ovi throwing big hits and playing way more physical than Kane, another dimension or not.

C'mon man, you're grasping at straws here.

Every piece of evidence shows that Ovechkin hasn't been the caps problem over the years

He's clearly their best player. He doesn't have a Toews or Crosby beside him to do the heavy lifting in other facets of the game, and his deficiencies are exposed in the playoffs.

I never said 'he's the Caps problem' lol. But yeah, they'd do better in the playoffs with a more complete but slightly less skilled superstar like Tavares in his place.

He's clearly their best player. He doesn't have a Toews or Crosby beside him to do the heavy lifting in other facets of the game, and his deficiencies are exposed in the playoffs.

I never said 'he's the Caps problem' lol. But yeah, they'd do better in the playoffs with a more complete but slightly less skilled superstar like Tavares in his place.

So wait, teams who have two superstars like Kane and Toews, or Crosby and Malkin, do better? No shit.

So wait, teams that have multiple players to do different roles do better than teams that don't.

Wow, revolutionary.

Meh, I say Backstrom is right up there in terms of being one of the better complimentary players a superstar could ask for anyway.

So wait, teams who have two superstars like Kane and Toews, or Crosby and Malkin, do better? No shit.

So wait, teams that have multiple players to do different roles do better than teams that don't.

Wow, revolutionary.

You ignored what I said about Tavares. I'm making a comment on what style of play wins in the playoffs. A talismanic figure having blatant deficits will cost you. If you don't really want to have your best player on the ice at the biggest moments for defensive reasons you're at a disadvantage.

But yeah, hockey's a team sport and all, the sum of the parts outweigh individual deficits. It just matters more for the best players.

Wow, revolutionary.

Damn, broke my sarcasm meter detector right in two... Nice, 10 out of 10.

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24

I'm trying to stay away from the whole argument thing, but Neech, I think your way off man.

Not a big fan of his, but respect his skill and shot. Goals win games and in a low scoring era he is simply in league of his own.

You ignored what I said about Tavares. I'm making a comment on what style of play wins in the playoffs. A talismanic figure having blatant deficits will cost you. If you don't really want to have your best player on the ice at the biggest moments for defensive reasons you're at a disadvantage.

But yeah, hockey's a team sport and all, the sum of the parts outweigh individual deficits. It just matters more for the best players.

And you ignore that Patrick Kane is a terrible defensive player who is never put on the ice to kill penalties or to protect the lead in the last minute, but those defensive deficiencies haven't stopped him from being the best player on 3 cup winning teams.

Tavares is also not the guy the Isles use to protect a one goal lead either. He's not as good defensively as say a guy like Nielsen.

Again, Ovechkin being their best player is fine. Their history of playoff loses hasn't been due to his poor play.

And you ignore that Patrick Kane is a terrible defensive player who is never put on the ice to kill penalties or to protect the lead in the last minute, but those defensive deficiencies haven't stopped him from being the best player on 3 cup winning teams.

Kane is nowhere near the clearcut best player on the Hawks. Many fans and I'm sure GMs too would take Toews first.

Still avoiding the larger point I'm making for Berkshire-style snark.

So Kane and Toews are close and neither one is the clear cut best player?

So again, we're back to the point that having two players at that level is a good thing come playoff time.

exactly what I've been saying all along, Washington's issue isn't ovechkin; its that a team is needed to win a cup.

Who is Washington's top dman? John Carlson.

Tell me, is Carlson in the league of Drew Doughty, Duncan Keith, Zdeno Chara (2011 Edition), Nic Lidstrom, Sergei Gonchar (circa 2009), Niedermayer, Pronger, etc....

You need the entire team. That includes multiple good forwards. A top level defenceman, good goaltending, etc..... so rag on Ovechkin all you want, but Washington has never had the defence to win a cup.

Pretty funny seeing Gallagher and Marchand best buds at the world's.

Ha ha, that's a league's worth of hatred compressed onto one team! Those two guys are surely off the charts in terms of loathing by their opponents (although Gallagher isn't nearly the dirty player Marchand is, his insufferable smirk and net-crashing ways clearly drive everybody ballistic).