2016 World Championships Thread

dlbalr

You ready to be pissed again when he is the 7th d-man again in September?

Non-HabFans were not quite as pissed he hardly played last time.

Too bad Price didn't play in Olympics and hope he skips this goofy September thing.

It doesn't help that PK played very erratically for the last few weeks before going down with that injury. And you're right, it also doesn't help that Burns is lighting it up.

I'm resigned to it. They used irrational, constipated 'logic' to keep him off the team last time, and now they're going to build on that by arguing that they want to keep the winning formula in place. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Brent Burns actually is doing a good job at killing Subban's chances of joining the team, IMO.

Same here. I think Subban's chances of making the World Cup team are close to non-existent at this point.

I hate the logic of " oh they have been there before so they automatically make the team". Going by that we should be suiting up Lemieux and Gretzky.The team should be picked based on who is the best right now. Weber is a great player, but is he better than Subban. Letang or Burns right now? Golden boy Doughty can do no wrong and is maybe the most overrated player in the game. He will probably win the Norris this year on reputation alone. Subban wins the Norris and sits on the bench for the Olympics, how does that make sense? And don't get me started on "left handed" defensemen having to make the team either. Subban, Burns, Pietrangelo, Letang, Doughty and Weber all deserve a spot over Jay frigging Boumeester. There's no way that any of those can't out perform him on their off side. I'm getting pissed off already and the tournament is 4 months away.

• Upvote 1

I don't really care if Subban makes Team Canada or not. For sure he's one of the 6 best Canadian D-men, and you could make a case for him against anyone else on the roster. But Canada does fine without him and maybe it's an extra chip on his shoulder going into the next season.

The real problem with Team Canada right now is the idea that Shea Weber is an elite defenceman that has a lock on his spot. Weber is very good offensively but for the Predators he's behind Josi and Ellis at getting the puck out of his own zone. When it comes to defensive ability, Subban is far ahead of him. But for traditional reasons, people see Weber and think Chris Pronger. He's getting progressively worse at one of the primary roles to be a defenceman and actively hurt the Predators at times this year. Josi was basically Markov saving Komisarek's butt at times. Not that bad but you get the idea.

The same goes to Jay Boumeester getting a spot in the top six at any time when he's not even the third best defenceman on the Blues anymore. That's Parayko. If you're not the number one or number two best defenceman on your team, you shouldn't be on Team Canada's top six.

It doesn't help that PK played very erratically for the last few weeks before going down with that injury. And you're right, it also doesn't help that Burns is lighting it up.

I'm resigned to it. They used irrational, constipated 'logic' to keep him off the team last time, and now they're going to build on that by arguing that they want to keep the winning formula in place. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

what did they say last time, just curious?

I hate the logic of " oh they have been there before so they automatically make the team". Going by that we should be suiting up Lemieux and Gretzky.The team should be picked based on who is the best right now. Weber is a great player, but is he better than Subban. Letang or Burns right now? Golden boy Doughty can do no wrong and is maybe the most overrated player in the game. He will probably win the Norris this year on reputation alone. Subban wins the Norris and sits on the bench for the Olympics, how does that make sense? And don't get me started on "left handed" defensemen having to make the team either. Subban, Burns, Pietrangelo, Letang, Doughty and Weber all deserve a spot over Jay frigging Boumeester. There's no way that any of those can't out perform him on their off side. I'm getting pissed off already and the tournament is 4 months away.

Doughty is one good d-man (overrated maybe, but he would darn good in a Hab jersey). By the way, how did team Canada do with all those chumps on d? :devil:

what did they say last time, just curious?

The 'logic' was that he was black too 'high-risk.' The plan was to play a hermetically-sealed defensive game; ergo, no need for the black guy second or third most explosive defenceman in the game.

• Upvote 1

Doughty is one good d-man (overrated maybe, but he would darn good in a Hab jersey). By the way, how did team Canada do with all those chumps on d? :devil:

Its all carey price. they would be a terrible team without him making everyone else look good...... :popcorn:

Its all carey price. they would be a terrible team without him making everyone else look good...... :popcorn:

I think I remember everyone at the time saying that Red light Racicot with his eyes closed could have won with the stacked team Price had in front of him. His 5-0 record, .972 sv and .59 GAA had nothing to do with him, or did it? It's confusing

Finland beats Russia this morning in the first semi-final. I didn't see that one coming. Canada and the US play in the other semi this afternoon.

Matthews vs Läine in finals would be intresting but I think Canada will be in finals.

Team USA assembled a terrible team on purpose so I hope Canada beats them. Be sad if they didn't.

The US gave Canada a really good run today. I was really impressed with how competitive they were (and not particularly impressed with how nonchalant Canada was for most of the game).

Apparently Ovechkin is under fire in the Russian media for disrupting the chemistry of the Russian team. Some think they'd have been better with a less-talented KHL'er.

The US gave Canada a really good run today. I was really impressed with how competitive they were (and not particularly impressed with how nonchalant Canada was for most of the game).

Apparently Ovechkin is under fire in the Russian media for disrupting the chemistry of the Russian team. Some think they'd have been better with a less-talented KHL'er.

Who knows? Shipachyov and dadanov had great tournaments. It actually has me really crossing my fingers we can sign them both.

Great to see Russia kick USA around the rink today (would be interesting to see USA team skate off before Russia gets its medals).

Guest Stogey24

Reinhart is solid for sure.

Perry was pissing me off yesterday. Didn't look like he gave a shit at all.

Dave Reid of TSN says that Montreal is rumored to be signing him.

Not sure how much of a story this is, i can't recall Dave Reid breaking stuff before.

I don't think I've ever heard him report much of anything before. It's not like he's on there all that often.

Yvon Pedneault seems to think the Habs are progressing towards a deal though:

Le Canadien tenterait d’embaucher le joueur russe et, au cours du week-end, un informateur m’indiquait que Marc Bergevin avait fait des progrès dans les discussions avec le porte-couleurs de l’équipe de Saint-Pétersbourg dans la KHL.

«On m’a dit que les négociations au sujet du transfert de Shipachev sont sur le point d’être complétées», me dit cet informateur.