Montreal Canadiens vs. New York Islanders | October 26th, 2016 | 7:00 EST

Habsfan84

38 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Montoya leading the league in SV% and GAA

Man Price is slacking. Goalie controversy???? :P No but great to see Montoya doing well and it feels great to have someone you can trust to spell Price every so often. 

Big Goal by Weber. His start to the season has been terrific. About the best case scenario for him coming into Montreal with all the controversy. 

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

That wound up being a pretty entertaining game, something I certainly wasn't expecting after the snooze fest that was the first period.  I'm happy for Danault too, he's off to a nice start this season and has a couple of important goals now to show for it.  Montoya was steady again as well.

Very happy for Danault. 

Bergeron for Prime Minister?

Therrien forever?

2 hours ago, Toronthab said:

Very happy for Danault. 

Bergeron for Prime Minister?

Therrien forever?

just remember last year and let's not get carried away. That Muller though is doing a fine job helping Le Genius find his a$$ with both hands. :P

7 hours ago, Commandant said:

Beaulieu and Pateryn were nearly an 80% pairing tonight, while getting 50/50 zone starts.  Fantastic night. 

Beaulieu was much better tonight... still a little lackadaisical with his passing

Entertaining game.

Everyone now with at least 1pt, cept Sergachev.

Galchenyuk 30% on FO and only 10 shots so far, when Gallagher had 8 just in yesterdays game?

Nice for team to get off to great start again this year and could Weber be working out any better?

24 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Tiny error on the HW 3 stars article for this game if you read this Brian. Dylan Strome is listed instead of Ryan. Figured I'd just mention it here haha

Nice catch, thanks.  I've fixed it.

Good game but I am getting a little concerned about chucky, he has to win some faceoffs and shoot more. It seems to me that he did fairly good in the dot last year, what happened? Hopefully he breaks out of this slump(?) and gets going. Maybe Captain kirk should spend more time with him. Or maybe bring Carbo as an advisor and help with the faceoffs.

Guest Stogey24
3 hours ago, DON said:

Entertaining game.

Everyone now with at least 1pt, cept Sergachev.

Galchenyuk 30% on FO and only 10 shots so far, when Gallagher had 8 just in yesterdays game?

Nice for team to get off to great start again this year and could Weber be working out any better?

I still want to see Galchenyuk with Radulov. 

I know this doesn't help things as far as faceoffs go, but a line of Lehkonen-galchenyuk-Radulov is pretty intriguing 

Plekanec has done nothing. 7 games, zero goals. He doesn't even create chances.

Like at what point does he start taking some heat? The guy's two way game is nothing special anymore either, so I don't even want to hear it. 

3 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

I know this doesn't help things as far as faceoffs go, but a line of Lehkonen-galchenyuk-Radulov is pretty intriguing 

Sounds fine to me and am sure 100 different combinations will be tried, sooner or later. BUT, my big question is, can a guy who cant win a faceoff play 18+minutes as the #1 centre every game?

He has shown he can defend very well at times and can play a '200 foot' game, so really he seems 'almost' ready for prime time, so do you just hope he improves and keep running him out there to match up vs top defenders?

44 minutes ago, habs rule said:

Good game but I am getting a little concerned about chucky, he has to win some faceoffs and shoot more. It seems to me that he did fairly good in the dot last year, what happened? Hopefully he breaks out of this slump(?) and gets going. Maybe Captain kirk should spend more time with him. Or maybe bring Carbo as an advisor and help with the faceoffs.

Even going back to junior, Galchenyuk wasn't particularly sharp on the draw.  (I remember Charlie Sarault would often take the faceoffs on his line in Sarnia.)  He was a lot better last year than he is now at 47.9% but even that is still below average.  Short of getting him to work more on his faceoff technique (whether that's on his own or with a consultant), there's not a whole lot more they can do.  What they can do in the short-term to mitigate the concerns is have someone like Flynn or Mitchell either take his place or Gallagher's on defensive zone faceoffs.  Either that, or put a second centre on his wing full-time but that doesn't seem like an ideal solution given the internal options.

8 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Plekanec has done nothing. 7 games, zero goals. He doesn't create chances. Like at what point does this guy start taking some heat? The guys two way game is nothing special anymore, so I don't even want to hear it. 

I like that line. Does that mean

Lehkonen - Chuck - Rad

Pacioretty - DD - Gallagher

and

Byron - Plex - Shaw ? 

Or do you switch DD and plex? Honestly that Byron Plex shaw has some decent defensive chops.

Guest Stogey24

Well Desharnais is playing better than Plekanec right now...

So Third line shut down role with Shaw and Byron seems like an ideal spot for Plekanec. Both Shaw and Byron seem to be able to create something out of nothing

2 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Plekanec has done nothing. 7 games, zero goals. He doesn't even create chances.

Like at what point does he start taking some heat? The guy's two way game is nothing special anymore either, so I don't even want to hear it. 

He doesn't create chances?

Have you seen Plekanec's last two games?  He's had HOW MANY CHANCES?

if he keeps playing this way the pucks will go in. 

As for his two-way game not being special.... Tavares 0 points at even strength, Malkin 0 points at even strength, Giroux one point (and at a rare time when Pleks was not on the ice)....  Yup... nothing special. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24

He's bringing down that line. just as I said in preseason. There is zero creativity to his game. Sharp angle shots are his go to. 

There's a reason he was taken off the power play. 

Keep pumping this guys tires though. He needs it  

Sharp angle shots?  Again I'm guessing you didn't watch the last two games. 

Bringing down that line is the fact that they are playing against the other team's best line, and are being given heavy zone starts in their own end.  Their usage is never going to lead to huge points, but they are still generating good offense while shutting down the opposition's best players. 

But you'd have to watch the game to see that. 

15 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Actually "Offensive Zone Faceoffs" is shown on most advanced stats pages as a mitigating factor -- if you start more times in your own end, you're going to face a lot more shots against the shots for.

Plekanec has started 63% of his faceoffs in the defensive zone. He's started far more in his own end, as you say.

(Interestingly, Weber's also had 61% defensive zone starts in his first seven games, which greatly explains his slightly lower possession stats.)

Guest Stogey24
2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Sharp angle shots?  Again I'm guessing you didn't watch the last two games. 

Bringing down that line is the fact that they are playing against the other team's best line, and are being given heavy zone starts in their own end.  Their usage is never going to lead to huge points, but they are still generating good offense while shutting down the opposition's best players. 

Watched the games bud, I just don't have a hard on for Plekanec. 

There is a reason Plekanec's linemates are generating offense and he's not.  

Lots of excuses for your boy Pleky though, eh. I chirped him in preseason and the reason he was doing nothing then is because it was "pre season", the games mean nothing. Now it's because he's in a "defensive role". How many games without a goal before you accept any criticism?