Theodore + Ryder for Luongo...?

TheAussiePosse

Reportedly stated on CKAC

I'm not buying it, even though both Theo and Ryder are RFAs.

I read somewhere else that we might add Hainsey, and they might add Bouwmeester/Van Ryn.

But I doubt it even more

Thoughts?

I could very comfortably live with a Luongo/Théodore trade. Luongo is better.

What makes this probable trade border on the ridiculous is to actually think that Florida would give Bouwmeester or Van Ryn for Ryder and Hainsey, especially Bouwmeester. The kid's only 21 and he's already considered a #1 defenseman.

I've got nothing against Théodore, I think that he's a proven #1 goalie (not the best but way up there). I think that to trade Ryder wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. One great season doesn't a super player make though it does indicate the possibility (I can still remember Kjell Dahlin). With all the up-and-comers in the system, we could afford to lose him if we got something good in return - Van Ryn would be more than adequate.

I still dont understand why Florida would even consider doing this trade. They would lose big time on it. Ahhhhh.

yeah~ i heard it on CKAC also (but they said the rumor was from some toronto's media :S)

well it WONT happen~~~ come on~ gainey already said that theo is GOING to be part of the habs and panthers will never trade their *luongo* -- by the way, i dunt like him hahaha --

YEAH luongo is taller, bigger, younger than theo... so what? their stats are ALMOST the same... and if theo is shortr, and smaller and older than luongo and he still got ALMOST the same stats as luongo... it means that he's even BETTER than luongo.. no??? oh well

and yeah, theo is going to earn more than kovalev (i think 5M$ is OK) and i think that we should REALLY sign him for sumthing like 4 years contract coz if they sign him only for one year and that he's going to have a NICE season and win some other *vezina* or *hart* trophee... well... it's going to be even HARDER to keep him with us coz he'll ask a lot more than 5M$

PLUS : even if he cost us a lot of money... his popularity in Montreal is the KEY for the marketing department... so... it's more like an investment

oh well... theo and ryder r toooo important for the habs so luongo can stay where he is~

u can say that luongo is better than theo (but i'm not agree with that haha) but u cant guaranty that luongo will be able to face the pressure (medias and fans) from montreal and also u cant guaranty that he will be able to sell habs jerseys and pompon toque as much as theo ;)

so... DUNT WORRY : theo is here to stay... same thing for ryder... and luongo... he has to be part of the playoff FIRST then i'll rate him over again haha

--

ok... i dunno if u guys un. everything i typed... hope so :)

Originally posted by bebehabs

YEAH luongo is taller, bigger, younger than theo... so what? their stats are ALMOST the same... and if theo is shortr, and smaller and older than luongo and he still got ALMOST the same stats as luongo... it means that he's even BETTER than luongo.. no??? oh well

Exactly. Luongo has a better frame than Theo, and with the next goalie equipment rules it'll just be even harder for smaller goalies to compete. Guys like Theo have to rely on speed and reflexes more than bigger goalies who can play angles and odds.

Originally posted by ap79

Exactly. Luongo has a better frame than Theo, and with the next goalie equipment rules it'll just be even harder for smaller goalies to compete. Guys like Theo have to rely on speed and reflexes more than bigger goalies who can play angles and odds.

yeah u r right and i'm totally agree, but i still think that a combinason of "height, weight and talent* is VERY rare and as for the moment, only brodeur has it all perfectly~

luongo and theo will play a diff. style (esp. with the new rules) and we'll see if "reflexes and speed" plays r going to beat "angles and odds" plays~

---

ok... but ABOUT the rumour... i mean... if luongo is THAT good and cheaper than theo (a lot cheaper ;))... why florida would accept to trade him??? that's why i'm SURE that this rumour is totally incredible~~

ok, i go to sleep now~ laterz :)

Theo +Ryder for Loungo + Bouwmeester? Id do that ANY day. Loungo was the only reason the Panthers won ANY games the last couple of years and Bouwmeester is a future stardefenceman. Theo is great and Ryder is REALLY good too but if we can get a 21 year old star defenceman AND Loungo Id do that any day.

Luongo has a better frame than Theo, and with the next goalie equipment rules it'll just be even harder for smaller goalies to compete. Guys like Theo have to rely on speed and reflexes more than bigger goalies who can play angles and odds.

Wouldn't "angles and odds" hinder a big goalie adapting to the new changes?

They've been relying on taking up more space rather than having the speed and reflexes of a smaller goalie. All they've had to do was pad themselves like the Michelin Man and then learn the angles.

I think the smaller, faster goalies will do better than the bigger guys because they won't have to adapt as much.

That's a real wishful thinking/dreamer type of trade. There's no way that Florida would move a younger, taller goalie for one that will become a UFA in another season.

Maybe that's a factor in why Gainey picked Price with the #5 pick? With the "reduced" goalie equipment on the way, ALL NHL goalie will need an adjustment period.....Some will adapt, some won't.

With Price still in Junior, and the smaller equipment coming next year, it will give him time to adjust(at the Jr. level, against Jr. players) and not have to be thrown in the fire with smaller equipment facing NHL snipers.

Originally posted by shortcat1

I could very comfortably live with a Luongo/Théodore trade. Luongo is better.

What makes this probable trade border on the ridiculous is to actually think that Florida would give Bouwmeester or Van Ryn for Ryder and Hainsey, especially Bouwmeester. The kid's only 21 and he's already considered a #1 defenseman.

I've got nothing against Théodore, I think that he's a proven #1 goalie (not the best but way up there). I think that to trade Ryder wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. One great season doesn't a super player make though it does indicate the possibility (I can still remember Kjell Dahlin). With all the up-and-comers in the system, we could afford to lose him if we got something good in return - Van Ryn would be more than adequate.

I still dont understand why Florida would even consider doing this trade. They would lose big time on it. Ahhhhh.

I agree totally but with Keenan in FLA anything is possible. This guy gets trigger happy.

[Edited on 2005/8/6 by KidRock]

Originally posted by habForever

I'd make the Theo and Ryder for Lugano in a heartbeat!!

Next step would be flipping Price for lecavalier in another package.

Who's Lugano?

Ryder and Theodore for Luongo is a bit iffy. Trading Ryder is a bad move to begin with.

Originally posted by Tony
Originally posted by habForever

I'd make the Theo and Ryder for Lugano in a heartbeat!!

Next step would be flipping Price for lecavalier in another package.

Who's Lugano?

Ryder and Theodore for Luongo is a bit iffy. Trading Ryder is a bad move to begin with.

Trading Ryder would be bad...FLA would have to sweeten the pot. Theo and Ryder for Luongo straight up is a no go.

there's NOTHING to worry about... coz this trade will NEVER happen :P

IF it was theo vs luongo ONLY... then it's maybe a little bit more credible... but since the rumour is theo + ryder for luongo... it makes it non-sense~ bcoz luongo REALLY doesnt worth theo+ryder and gainey is a smart DG and he really knows what he needs and who he needs to make the club competitive~

it's not only about *how good* or *how talented* the guy is... there's also the player's personnality... to match with the club's philosophy... etc~

Originally posted by Trizzak

Luongo has a better frame than Theo, and with the next goalie equipment rules it'll just be even harder for smaller goalies to compete. Guys like Theo have to rely on speed and reflexes more than bigger goalies who can play angles and odds.

Wouldn't "angles and odds" hinder a big goalie adapting to the new changes?

They've been relying on taking up more space rather than having the speed and reflexes of a smaller goalie. All they've had to do was pad themselves like the Michelin Man and then learn the angles.

I think the smaller, faster goalies will do better than the bigger guys because they won't have to adapt as much.

All goalies play angles and odds ever since Roy & Allaire had such success in the late 80's taking the bottom of the net away since most shots go there. Its just that smaller goalies have to sparkle a little speed & reflexes on top of that, to cover the top of the net and for lateral movements. Reduce equipment size and bigger goalies have better luck with angles & odds than smaller goalies.

Compare Theo and Luongo when they go down. Theo gets back up to move laterally. All Luongo has to do is stay down and extend his legs and all the space at the bottom is gone. Splits seconds that can make a difference. Notice how many of the goals Theo allows are while he's in a semi-standup stance.

[Edited on 6-8-2005 by ap79]

well u ppl do know this trade is rly not happening...right?

Theo is good yes maybe more money also true, luongo his stats are almost the same as theo but look at who luongo had to play with last season, as how good he did.

but now look at the prices also theo 5 million maybe a lol more yea good but then luongo less but then in mtl luongo will ask for more in time because he will progress better, and mtl will be in a pickle.

theo is reliable and when he is on his top game he is unstopable he can do good in mtl if anything i would say sign theo to 4yr deal 20 million and ur all good then see what happens there.

speed and reflex is always good and have u heard...the bigger they are the harder they fall....(luongo) all mtl needs to go for is another defensemen and lw for the second line

This trade might happen because Theodore's agent will compare Theo to Khabibulin. Khabibulin just signed a $6.5 million dollar contract so Theodore will want to sign $6.5 million, and if you ask me, that's a little too much for Theodore. Especially since we don't know how he will fair in the new fast paced goal oriented NHL. :ghg:

Sometimes I just don't get it.

When I suggested that Bobby Clarke maybe would have to deal another player and that Gagne may be the one out I tought of trading Komisarek.

"What are you crazy? Why trade the only defenceman worth someting. Komisarek is the future."

Jose Theodore has won the Vezina! Don't you realize that in the last 16 years only 7 goaltenders have won this trophy and Theodore's one of them!?

When did Theodore's "best-before-date" expired? It can't be more than two seasons ago since we called Theodore the future? And now some of you could live with him traded? What for? So we can get a goaltender just one notch better and a coupple of years younger?

Yes. Me to. But to include Ryder in this trade is no-brainer! Come on! Ryder finished second in Calder. And what in the name of something would the Habs have on the second line? Dagenais-Ribeiro-Higgins? Not this year. And what good would another defenceman do when we allready have one to many?

Originally posted by MexicanChannel

This trade might happen because Theodore's agent will compare Theo to Khabibulin. Khabibulin just signed a $6.5 million dollar contract so Theodore will want to sign $6.5 million, and if you ask me, that's a little too much for Theodore. Especially since we don't know how he will fair in the new fast paced goal oriented NHL. :ghg:

yep~ don meehan is going to compare theo to khabibulin and try to get the 6.5M$ for theo, but gainey is going to say that khabibulin has won the stanley and theo didn't... yet ;) ~ and when theo won his vezina and hart trophies, his salray increased already~ so it was already rewarded~

which mean i dunt think gainey is going to give a 6.5$ contract to theo, i think he'll give sumthing like 5M$ to 5.5M$ max~ theo will surely accept it if montreal is really his first choice all da way~

also, it all depend if it's gonna be a short term contract (which i doubt) or long terme contract (4 years plzzzzz!!! :contract:

[Edited on 2005/8/7 by bebehabs]

Sure Theo won the vezina trophy but that was already a few years ago. It is also when he had oversized equipment to wear on his person. Now with the smaller pads and glove we do not know how Theo will fair in this new NHL system. I would only give him around 4.5-5 tops and let him reprove himself to the new NHL style of play.

Its a whole new ball game.

I don't put much stock in these big name trade rumours that involve the Habs. Over 95% of the time, they amount to nothing, and I'm that certain this is just such an example.

I really hope the BG is not stupid enough to give up on Ryder yet. Also, why would we trade an excellent-- still young-- goalie who thrives on the pressure in Montreal and a promising young forward for a minimal upgrade in goal? Who started this rumour? Rejean Houle?! :-)