2021 NHL General Discussion

hab29RETIRED

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

I totally agree ... it would simplify things and also address the "Kucherov" situation ... but it is part of the CBA and therefore settled until the summer of 2026 ... and even then I doubt anything changes

Well, not really. If Kucherov's contract doesn't count all year, they still get to spend the entire amount of his contract on other players. Then he still comes back in the playoffs when the cap is not in play. What it would solve would be the "Gaborik situation", where it was to their benefit to take on dead money to get extra cap space.

22 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Well, not really. If Kucherov's contract doesn't count all year, they still get to spend the entire amount of his contract on other players. Then he still comes back in the playoffs when the cap is not in play. What it would solve would be the "Gaborik situation", where it was to their benefit to take on dead money to get extra cap space.

Not certain how it would solve Gaborik ... he hasn't played a game since the 17/18 ... legitimate LTIR case.

What I omitted in my original comment was that the change would require stricter enforcement of the LTIR through the use of independent physicians, so that players on LTIR are legitimately medically unfit to play ... my concern with Kucherov is that I find it difficult to believe he was medically unfit to play on May 10th but 6 days later could play 19:21 in a playoff game ... but rules are rules and the TBL played by them.

54 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Not certain how it would solve Gaborik ... he hasn't played a game since the 17/18 ... legitimate LTIR case.

What I omitted in my original comment was that the change would require stricter enforcement of the LTIR through the use of independent physicians, so that players on LTIR are legitimately medically unfit to play ... my concern with Kucherov is that I find it difficult to believe he was medically unfit to play on May 10th but 6 days later could play 19:21 in a playoff game ... but rules are rules and the TBL played by them.

Ok, so your issue is with when Kucherov was really healthy enough to return to action. That is going to be an issue with any LTIR system. Even an independent doctor isn't going to work. A doctor couldn't force a player to admit to feeling healthy enough to play any more than they could keep a guy from playing through anything other than a concussion or life threatening condition.

Yes, Gaborik is legit LTIR. That's not the problem. My issue is that he is still a valuable player to have on a roster since he can be used to manipulate a team's LTIR cap relief. It makes no sense that you can give yourself more cap relief by going out and intentionally acquiring more injured players.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Tampa literally could not activate him on May 6th even if healthy.  The NHL already set the precedents here.  You cant activate a guy unless you can clear the space under the cap.

With the trade deadline long gone they had no way to clear the space 

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

Tampa literally could not activate him on May 6th even if healthy.  The NHL already set the precedents here.  You cant activate a guy unless you can clear the space under the cap.

With the trade deadline long gone they had no way to clear the space 

Which is another "weakness" in the LTIR process ... healthy players forced to stay on LTIR ... IMO further proof it still needs "tweaks". 

10 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Which is another "weakness" in the LTIR process ... healthy players forced to stay on LTIR ... IMO further proof it still needs "tweaks". 

How do you tweak that though?  You have to be compliant to activate a player.  Otherwise, you're not allowed to activate him.  That's one of the rare black and white elements of the LTIR rules.

14 hours ago, dlbalr said:

How do you tweak that though?  You have to be compliant to activate a player.  Otherwise, you're not allowed to activate him.  That's one of the rare black and white elements of the LTIR rules.

I fully admit change is unlikely ... but it would force teams to better manage their cap ... if an injury was without doubt season-ending then it would work as it now does ... but if cap-space accrued, then putting an early season injury on LTIR to have the time to fully recover would allow the team leeway to fill holes (albeit not with players of comparable cap-hit) while still getting the injured player back for the stretch run ... Kucherov was a bit of an exception as TBL was able to plan for his LTIR and still build a full roster, while also expecting he would return for the playoffs  ... in-season LTIR injuries are more difficult for teams to "fully" replace, even if you expect the player would be LTIR-eligible through the end of the season, as few if any useful UFAs are available and trades are more difficult. 

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I fully admit change is unlikely ... but it would force teams to better manage their cap ... if an injury was without doubt season-ending then it would work as it now does ... but if cap-space accrued, then putting an early season injury on LTIR to have the time to fully recover would allow the team leeway to fill holes (albeit not with players of comparable cap-hit) while still getting the injured player back for the stretch run ... Kucherov was a bit of an exception as TBL was able to plan for his LTIR and still build a full roster, while also expecting he would return for the playoffs  ... in-season LTIR injuries are more difficult for teams to "fully" replace, even if you expect the player would be LTIR-eligible through the end of the season, as few if any useful UFAs are available and trades are more difficult. 

Keep in mind, if it wasn’t fir the delayed start to the season last year, who knows, maybe Kucherov May kit have even been available.