2023 Development Camp

GHT120

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

So much depends on whether or not Montembeault truly had a breakout season in 22/23 ... some believe yes, some believe no ... 

I am on the fence, i thought he was simply fodder for a bad team filling in for the rebuild and he seems bit better than that; but i am no goalie expert that is for sure.

9 hours ago, GHT120 said:

So much depends on whether or not Montembeault truly had a breakout season in 22/23 ... some believe yes, some believe no ... we won't know until well into the season which side is right.

His confidence should be up after last season and his world championship performance, always important for a goaltender. With an improved D corps, we should see what he is capable of this season.

Who is the Habs prospect you are the most excited for?

"I probably should have mentioned him in the Development Camp question: Adam Engstrom.

He’s incredibly skilled, has a high hockey IQ, and plays with the confidence of a 10-year veteran. Habs fans should not sleep on Engstorm’s NHL potential, he’s a very exciting prospect that has the type of skill set that would allow him to become an impact defenceman in the NHL." marc dumont

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DON said:

Who is the Habs prospect you are the most excited for?

"I probably should have mentioned him in the Development Camp question: Adam Engstrom.

He’s incredibly skilled, has a high hockey IQ, and plays with the confidence of a 10-year veteran. Habs fans should not sleep on Engstorm’s NHL potential, he’s a very exciting prospect that has the type of skill set that would allow him to become an impact defenceman in the NHL." marc dumont

We seem to have promising young D falling out the wazoo. I always believe in the blueline as the foundation of the team, so that’s just fine by me!

It also aligns with fashionable NHL thinking about the D/Goalie relationship. I heard Kevin Woodley say that most teams would prefer to have a strong D-corps and have it play to an average goalie’s strengths, then have a strong G with an average D-corps. The Carey Price model is no longer favoured.

On another note: having been forced awake early by a dog needing to pee, I was idly looking at the Habs’ depth chart this morning and notice that we seem to be really short of talent at RW, organizationally. https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/montreal-canadiens-organizational-depth-chart/ That’s interesting, and may perhaps make it challenging to just dump some of the dead weight we have at RW even if by some miracle another team is interested in turds like Armia, Hoffman, or (sigh) a broken-down Gallagher.

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

On another note: having been forced awake early by a dog needing to pee, I was idly looking at the Habs’ depth chart this morning and notice that we seem to be really short of talent at RW, organizationally. https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/montreal-canadiens-organizational-depth-chart/ That’s interesting, and may perhaps make it challenging to just dump some of the dead weight we have at RW even if by some miracle another team is interested in turds like Armia, Hoffman, or (sigh) a broken-down Gallagher.

It does look quite grim on the chart, but some of the centres might yet end up on the right wing.

2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

It does look quite grim on the chart, but some of the centres might yet end up on the right wing.

also, MSL seems to like playing wingers on the opposite side.

21 hours ago, DON said:

d-camp interviews

Engstrom eh, what timeline for him i wonder, 2 more seasons at home or just 1?

He has one year left on his contract in Sweden so he'll be there next year.  Then, the question becomes when can he crack Montreal.  The new player transfer agreement with Sweden is more restrictive in their players coming to play in the AHL so it wouldn't shock me if he winds up staying there for an extra season after next.

• Like 1

Seems a smart answer by Hutson.

How will he follow up his freshman season, will be a tall order to top it.

Similar to Kidney/Roy last year i suppose.

When Hutson was asked to name a comparable for Reinbacher, he chose to not put any extra expectations on his defense partner. "He's the next David Reinbacher. He's going to be really good."

2 hours ago, DON said:

Seems a smart answer by Hutson.

How will he follow up his freshman season, will be a tall order to top it.

Similar to Kidney/Roy last year i suppose.

When Hutson was asked to name a comparable for Reinbacher, he chose to not put any extra expectations on his defense partner. "He's the next David Reinbacher. He's going to be really good."

I think that answer showed how smart and mature Hutson is. 

9 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think that answer showed how smart and mature Hutson is. 

By contrast, Reinbacher’s claim that Hutson is “the next Cale Makar” shows he has a bit to learn about media management 😉

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

By contrast, Reinbacher’s claim that Hutson is “the next Cale Makar” shows he has a bit to learn about media management 😉

Yup, this is all new to Reinbacher.  Hutson has had a little more experience dealing with it.