early 2023-2024 season waiver pickup

alfredoh2009

great day to go fishing...

Some fish must be laughing right now

52 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Sometimes you can get a gem off waivers but I just don't see the Habs taking anybody this year. They have too many bodies already especially after trading for Tanner Pearson. 

I remain convinced Pearson or Armia will be traded (with not-insignificant sweetener) to get under the cap for the first game without using LTIR (or once again Price will go on the off-season LTIR, with the attendant bonus issues and lack of cap space accruing during the season) ... Sokolov is a 23 yr-old, 6'3", 222 lbs winger who has averaged 23 goals in 2.5 AHL seasons, who would have been a top 3 goal scorer for the Rocket in each of those seasons ... he might be an interesting acquisition to offset whatever my assume trade "costs" ... and, I am not as enamored of Pezetta or Ylonen as some.

8 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I remain convinced Pearson or Armia will be traded (with not-insignificant sweetener) to get under the cap for the first game without using LTIR (or once again Price will go on the off-season LTIR, with the attendant bonus issues and lack of cap space accruing during the season) ... Sokolov is a 23 yr-old, 6'3", 222 lbs winger who has averaged 23 goals in 2.5 AHL seasons, who would have been a top 3 goal scorer for the Rocket in each of those seasons ... he might be an interesting acquisition to offset whatever my assume trade "costs" ... and, I am not as enamored of Pezetta or Ylonen as some.

but wouldn't he be at best a 3rd liner for the Habs that would still have two of Gallagher, Armia and Pearson ?

I like Pezz and Ylo, but I am not enamored with them to the point of passing on a better alternative for the 4th line. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Sometimes you can get a gem off waivers but I just don't see the Habs taking anybody this year. They have too many bodies already especially after trading for Tanner Pearson. 

I agree, but it is fun to see what may appear on the wire ticker

9 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I agree, cap-strapped teams will probably jump on this

I'd be surprised if they make it that far down the list to the cap-strapped teams.  It'll be the rebuilding ones that probably take a look at them.

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

but wouldn't he be at best a 3rd liner for the Habs that would still have two of Gallagher, Armia and Pearson ?

I like Pezz and Ylo, but I am not enamored with them to the point of passing on a better alternative for the 4th line. 

One step at a time ... Gallagher is here until he, or his contract, retires ... :( ... or asks out (and 

Question, if HuGo gets the chance, is not whether Sokolov is a Top 6 forward but whether he is better, or has more upside, than Ylonen or Pezetta.

13 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

One step at a time ... Gallagher is here until he, or his contract, retires ... :( ... or asks out (and 

Question, if HuGo gets the chance, is not whether Sokolov is a Top 6 forward but whether he is better, or has more upside, than Ylonen or Pezetta.

He is a 2nd eound pick, #61 in 2020.

Heineman #43 2020,

Mesar #26 2022,

Kidney #63 2021,

Beck #33 2022

and even

J. Roy #149 2021,

may be ahead of him if he was in the Habs organization. But being tagged a power forward makes him intriguing

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Two or three years after the player was drafted, where he was picked really doesn't have much significance.

sure, but it was a quick way to compare them without spending the evening going through webpage after webpage. Take it for what it is, a quickie 

23 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

[...]

and they clear

Both of those surprise me somewhat, especially with Thomson and Fagemo getting picked up earlier.  Brett Murray is a name to watch for off today's list, good size and had a breakout year in Rochester last season.  (I also think Leon Gawanke has NHL potential but everyone passed on him a year ago.)

On 10/3/2023 at 4:24 PM, tomh009 said:

Two or three years after the player was drafted, where he was picked really doesn't have much significance.

For the scouts i assume it might.

But not to most i guess.

• Upvote 1

Staring to get to interesting waiver lists

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Staring to get to interesting waiver lists

Interesting ... or just the number of recognizable names showing up increasing?

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Interesting ... or just the number of recognizable names showing up increasing?

#2, which may mean #1 is coming

My quick blurb on Montreal's two waiver placements: https://www.habsworld.net/2023/10/habs-waive-joel-armia-and-gustav-lindstrom/

Full waiver list: https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2023/10/waivers-10-08-23.html

Not many interesting names on there.  Thomson is back on and could be claimed somewhere.  Up front, a certain Potato Head favourite (Lavoie) is one of the more intriguing ones out there.  Boyd is good enough to be claimed but not many can afford him at $1.75M.

If all the rest are waiver-eligible, that surely means papering down RHP ($1.1M), Harris ($1.4M, $1.15M savings) and Xhekaj ($830K). That's $3.08M, which doesn't look to be quite enough get them under the cap, as they were $5.227M over before sending Armia and Lindstrom, and those two should have reduced the total by $2.1M.

So, maybe also Barron, who has only $275K in bonuses?

32 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

If all the rest are waiver-eligible, that surely means papering down RHP ($1.1M), Harris ($1.4M, $1.15M savings) and Xhekaj ($830K). That's $3.08M, which doesn't look to be quite enough get them under the cap, as they were $5.227M over before sending Armia and Lindstrom, and those two should have reduced the total by $2.1M.

So, maybe also Barron, who has only $275K in bonuses?

Don't forget that Primeau has to be added onto the CapFriendly total so it's still not that close.

53 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Don't forget that Primeau has to be added onto the CapFriendly total so it's still not that close.

Oh, right. I didn't quite understand why Primeau didn't show up on the roster when I looked at this earlier in the week.

If they are done with waivers, then they would also need to paper down Guhle, who has $420K. Or else there is a trade about to go through?

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

If they are done with waivers, then they would also need to paper down Guhle, who has $420K. Or else there is a trade about to go through?

Or is the goal something in between?  They've done more than enough to go offseason LTIR for Dvorak.  Can they get down to just using offseason LTIR for Wideman?  And we don't know yet if they'll look at any options on waivers which could tweak the numbers still.  I don't see a trade on the horizon though.

On 10/8/2023 at 2:27 PM, dlbalr said:

[...] Up front, a certain Potato Head favourite (Lavoie) is one of the more intriguing ones out there.  [...]

you remembered that! wow 🤩

If I remember correctly, I saw him live at a Sens game, and was impressed on his mobility and offensive flair... seemed to be in the action on that game.

must have been the peak of his career