2023-24 Laval Rocket discussion thread

tomh009

14 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Watch if anyone is a late scratch in this one.  Could indicate a callup with the RHP injury.

7D for tomorrow is the other option

6 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I Hope Kaz has a better game in goal. 
I am guessing Mysak will center the 4th line and that Kidney will move to the wing?

Watching after games is done, on AHL tv. Good first, better effort, Cederqvist was supposed to sit but playing after the Roy recall: he scored the first goal.

Mysak also scored, he is not the fastest or the biggest but he plays with heart. Rocket was down to 4 Ds in the middle of the 2nd

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

he did not look 100% yesterday (Friday) , I wonder how he will perform in MTL

Weird to see Blandisi and Shaw with letters on their uniform ( captain, assistant) ; they both played with LVL before .

Keiffer Bellows seems to be always in the middle of scoring opportunities for the Marlies. I wonder if he may be a trade target for a 3rd line role somewhere (not necessarily the Habs)

1 minute ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Keiffer Bellows seems to be always in the middle of scoring opportunities for the Marlies. I wonder if he may be a trade target for a 3rd line role somewhere (not necessarily the Habs)

He's on an AHL contract so if there's an NHL team who wants him, they don't have to trade for him, they can just sign him.  His stock has fallen that low that the best he could do to start this season was an AHL PTO that was converted to a full deal about a month ago.

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

He's on an AHL contract so if there's an NHL team who wants him, they don't have to trade for him, they can just sign him.

I have not looked up his stats , a couple of years ago he was a promising prospect. 

Edited by alfredoh2009
Added “promising”

Logan Mailloux is hands down the best defender for the Rocket. He is dominant offensively, and solid most games defending . Rookie of the year in the AHL? I’ll need to check 

I’ll have to watch the 3rd later . Not a bad game, 6-1 Laval after 2 periods, despite the recalls and the injuries Ds

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Logan Mailloux is hands down the best defender for the Rocket. He is dominant offensively, and solid most games defending . Rookie of the year in the AHL? I’ll need to check 

If Logan Stankoven doesn't win Rookie of the Year down there, there will need to be an investigation.  He's leading the league in scoring, not just leading rookie scoring.  Mailloux is tied for 5th in rookie points, 3 out of a tie for 2nd so a good second half could get him in the mix but it's Stankoven's award by a mile as things stand.

4 hours ago, dlbalr said:

If Logan Stankoven doesn't win Rookie of the Year down there, there will need to be an investigation.  He's leading the league in scoring, not just leading rookie scoring.  Mailloux is tied for 5th in rookie points, 3 out of a tie for 2nd so a good second half could get him in the mix but it's Stankoven's award by a mile as things stand.

you are probably right, I am just happy on how much Mailloux has improved in his rookie season. Good for the kid

9 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

you are probably right, I am just happy on how much Mailloux has improved in his rookie season. Good for the kid

The $64,000 Question with Mailloux was never his offence ... I don't watch enough Laval games closely enough to judge how Logan is handling the defensive side of his game ... I-M-O he should be excelling in that aspect of his game before they consider bringing him up to the NHL ... I believe he can get there ... give him the time to do it.

https://www.habsworld.net/2024/02/rocket-weekly-a-split-in-toronto-2/

"...Yes, there’s value to easing youngsters into the lineup but I’ve noticed that Jean-Francois Houle seems to be selective with who gets that opportunity.  Last season, Xavier Simoneau and Pierrick Dube both saw lots of top-six time as the season went on and did pretty well.  But last year, Jan Mysak rarely moved off the fourth line (something that can be said for this season as well).  This year, Kidney has been a full-time bottom-six player while Jared Davidson, an offensively-skilled player on his own right, spends most games (last game being an exception) in the bottom six when he gets in the lineup."

I have not noticed the few time I’ve watched, but Davidson is said to need improvement on his skating. Bottom-6 is fine for him at this moment. Kidney, I agree that it would be nice to see him higher up, but he has been too inconsistent to deserve it.

Mysak has spent time and effort with coaches improving his game. I like him, but he has not shown he can face the other team’s top lines. He tends to be too slow and also gets pushed aside too easily… but he works hard.

Farrell is the prospect that I was hoping would show progress/potential but he has been injuries most of the season. Besides those names, I don’t know who could have more ice time in the top lines 

1 hour ago, DON said:

https://www.habsworld.net/2024/02/rocket-weekly-a-split-in-toronto-2/

"...Yes, there’s value to easing youngsters into the lineup but I’ve noticed that Jean-Francois Houle seems to be selective with who gets that opportunity.  Last season, Xavier Simoneau and Pierrick Dube both saw lots of top-six time as the season went on and did pretty well.  But last year, Jan Mysak rarely moved off the fourth line (something that can be said for this season as well).  This year, Kidney has been a full-time bottom-six player while Jared Davidson, an offensively-skilled player on his own right, spends most games (last game being an exception) in the bottom six when he gets in the lineup."

I think that is more a player finding/earning their own level.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

I think that is more a player finding/earning their own level.

Could be, but every coach see things a bit different and has favorites who play 'their' kind of hockey.

Not sure how much Big Brother (Ramage et all) has to do with icetime or who plays with who?

Im with GHT.  

You gotta earn your icetime

Mysak is in his third AHL season and has never proven to be a top 6 AHL player.  

Kidney needs to dominate on the third line and that would prove he needs more ice time.

Etc.

Go out and earn the spot.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

HW 3 Stars: January’s Top Prospects – HabsWorld.net

"...His defensive game warrants a mention as well as he has made some much better reads in recent weeks.  There’s still a ways to go on that end but he has improved enough that the Canadiens should feel confident enough to recall Mailloux if necessary."

Is Simoneau a small gritty-Desharnais type and is his skating good enough for the NHL?

15 minutes ago, DON said:

"...His defensive game warrants a mention as well as he has made some much better reads in recent weeks.  There’s still a ways to go on that end but he has improved enough that the Canadiens should feel confident enough to recall Mailloux if necessary."

Is Simoneau a small gritty-Desharnais type and is his skating good enough for the NHL?

I-M-O, Mailloux needs to prove more than " some much better reads in recent weeks" ... he needs to do it for the rest of the season ... and maybe some more AHL time to polish that improvement in his defensive play to start next season ... a few weeks is far too small a sample size ... I was always optimistic about Mailloux's future, and hoping he may have Top 3/4 potential ... but he still needs to make up for the almost two seasons lost to Covid et al.

Obviously no rush for Mailloux, but would be good him get that 1st game under his belt ,sooner or later this season.

Hope after trade deadline, this guy gets a shot.

https://thehockeywriters.com/lias-andersson-next-canadiens-forward-called-up/

7th pick in 2017, solid AHLer might be ceiling?

NHL Total:

AHL Total:

SHL Total:
+11

Lias Andersson - Habs Prospects

4 minutes ago, DON said:

Obviously no rush for Mailloux, but would be good him get that 1st game under his belt ,sooner or later this season.

Hope after trade deadline, this guy gets a shot.

https://thehockeywriters.com/lias-andersson-next-canadiens-forward-called-up/

7th pick in 2017, solid AHLer might be ceiling?

NHL Total:

AHL Total:

SHL Total:
+11

Lias Andersson - Habs Prospects

I would like to see him as well ... I have no Top 6 hopes for him ... but his 33g/59pts per 72gm scoring pace this season, and his decent size, he could have a 3rd line role next season, if he can stay healthy.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Gignac is the new Desharnais more than Simoneau

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Gignac is the new Desharnais more than Simoneau

Gignac seems more like a H.Pinard/Gallagher, dosent he?