2023-24 Laval Rocket discussion thread

tomh009

On 4/6/2024 at 2:41 AM, alfredoh2009 said:

I wonder if they can call up Jakov Novak from Trois-Rivières. He is their top scorer, seems to be a shot first type of winger and to have size. I do not know about his skating.

I may be a better option than Perreault or Durandeau, neither of which have helped generate offense

:)  I get one right! it must be the eclipse :)

For those that were questioning Florian's pick in the draft, he is good enough to take Jakov Novak's spot in the lineup (3RV Lions best scorer)... not too shabby

• Upvote 1

He's good enough to take the job of a 25 year old journeyman who has 54 points in 63 ECHL games, and who the Habs have trusted for all of 2 AHL games despite being their ECHL leading scorer all year??  A guy with 12 points in 35 games in his last season in the NCAA?  

HOORAY!!!!  

I'd be scared if they didn't think he was as good as Novak.  

I mean lets let him play and see what happens before thinking this is a victory.   Novak is in no way a consideration of ever making the NHL, I'd hope a fourth round pick is better than that. 

2-0 good guys, I missed the goals. They seem to be playing well, but the Monsters do not have their best line-up due to recalls by CBJ

image.png

4--2 Monsters, Laval could not score on a 5-on-3 to begin the 2nd. They were hemmed in in their territory often and eventually caved in under the pressure

image.png

those fans singing crowd karaoke were more fun to watch than the game... tehn the Rocket scored

3-4 behind by one

Finally Heineman scores on a penalty on retaliation to a Paquette-Bisson body check

4-4

what a weird sequence, Dobes seems to be sliding on his right pad and unstable for a few seconds. then on a weak shot he gets beaten and although it went to video review the goal call stayed.

5-4 Monsters

Laval is finally playing with some desperation, about 4 min to go... maybe too little too late

young Xhekaj and Jankov (from trois-Rivieres) may have been better suited for today's game. The smallish Laval forwards are out-muscled

empty net with 1:35 to play 6-4 seals the season for the Rocket.

very doubtful they make it now, after tonight's loss

not enough offensive generated by the 1st line, although Heineman shot often, I do not remember him looking like a threat to score despite scoring one. I will need to view the replay to remember.

Mailloux had a good game but he also fumbled the puck a few times. Passes were not sharp and they lacked speed when entering the offensive zone

image.png

15 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

very doubtful they make it now, after tonight's loss

Definitely a harder path but still not impossible since Laval has the tiebreaker on Belleville if it comes to it.  If Laval wins their last 3 games in regulation (2 against Belleville), Belleville has to get 5 points out of 6 in their other 3 games to beat the Rocket.  The Sens have Rochester on the road for 2 starting tonight and the Amerks are a better team on paper.

24 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Definitely a harder path but still not impossible since Laval has the tiebreaker on Belleville if it comes to it.  If Laval wins their last 3 games in regulation (2 against Belleville), Belleville has to get 5 points out of 6 in their other 3 games to beat the Rocket.  The Sens have Rochester on the road for 2 starting tonight and the Amerks are a better team on paper.

If the Amerks don't rest anyone, and Belleville doesn't get any of the call-ups back, it may be possible.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

If the Amerks don't rest anyone, and Belleville doesn't get any of the call-ups back, it may be possible.

Why would Rochester rest anyone?  They're one point out of the division lead; I'm sure they'll be playing their full available roster.

Xhekaj will play tonight but it comes at the expense of Stephens who is out with an undisclosed injury.  Not an ideal time to be missing your top two centres, that's for sure.

7 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Xhekaj will play tonight but it comes at the expense of Stephens who is out with an undisclosed injury.  Not an ideal time to be missing your top two centres, that's for sure.

It is annoying that the Canadiens AND the Rocket are both limping along to the end of the regular season with no obvious effort - to my limited understanding - in helping either team to ice their best lineup possible.

If you give Hutson a few games, why not also Mailloux?

If you play young Xhekaj in a key game tonight, why not Strubble?

managing both rosters this way does not seem like the most effective. At least to my Mr. Potato Head reasoning.

why would you take Mailloux off the Rocket... note Hutson is not eligible to play in the AHL. 

If your complaint is them not putting their best lineup out there, why would you want to weaken the AHL lineup by calling up Mailloux?

I know you've made the same complaints before and Brian has explained it previously so whats the purpose of this.... just continuing your agenda against management is my guess. 

39 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I expect we're going to see some 'injuries' creep after tonight's game, creating (fabricating) emergency conditions for a player or two to come up for the Detroit games early next week.  I think Mailloux is going to be one of those and then he'll be sent back down to Laval for the Belleville games later in the week.

32 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

It is annoying that the Canadiens AND the Rocket are both limping along to the end of the regular season with no obvious effort - to my limited understanding - in helping either team to ice their best lineup possible.

If you play young Xhekaj in a key game tonight, why not Strubble?

managing both rosters this way does not seem like the most effective. At least to my Mr. Potato Head reasoning.

WHY in the world would the Habs want to "ice their best lineup"?   Wins only have the potential to worsen their draft position.

Hutson is getting at least one game because that burns a year of his ELC ... THAT and getting some $$$ in his pocket immediately is why he signed now ... there was always the "possibility" of his waiting and ultimately deciding to play another NCAA season.

Struble is with the Habs because they only have 7 healthy defencemen and one of them could be injured/get sick before the game roster is submitted.

@dlbalr made it clear that Baby Xhekaj is playing because Stephens can't, not to "give him a game".

So, not the management screw-up you seem to so often hope for.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

WHY in the world would the Habs want to "ice their best lineup"?   Wins only have the potential to worsen their draft position.

Hutson is getting at least one game because that burns a year of his ELC ... THAT and getting some $$$ in his pocket immediately is why he signed now ... there was always the "possibility" of his waiting and ultimately deciding to play another NCAA season.

Struble is with the Habs because they only have 7 healthy defencemen and one of them could be injured/get sick before the game roster is submitted.

@dlbalr made it clear that Baby Xhekaj is playing because Stephens can't, not to "give him a game".

So, not the management screw-up you seem to so often hope for.

Dormamu, is that you? 😁