Game 68 - Canadiens @ Oilers - March 19 - 9 p.m. (EDT)

GHT120

21 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

like I've posted before, I consider Evans part of my core for the rebuild

I think Evans is the perfect 4th line centre, Beck will be the 3rd line center. We just have to figure out #2, hopefully a healthy Dach. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think Evans is the perfect 4th line centre, Beck will be the 3rd line center. We just have to figure out #2, hopefully a healthy Dach. 

We’ll see about Beck, but I agree re: Evans. 

Can someone explain to me how it is that Armia spent years being complete dog poop, then gets sent down and comes back as a completely different player? What the hell happened? Did he stare into the abyss of career failure and have a transformative, “come to Jesus” moment? Or has he just been on the longest hot streak of his career and will eventually revert back to his norm of stinking out the joint?

10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Can someone explain to me how it is that Armia spent years being complete dog poop, then gets sent down and comes back as a completely different player? What the hell happened? Did he stare into the abyss of career failure and have a transformative, “come to Jesus” moment? Or has he just been on the longest hot streak of his career and will eventually revert back to his norm of stinking out the joint?

he had a similar resurgence when he and Caufield visited Wisconsin. I htink they both were on COVID protocol.

https://www.thewhig.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/canadiens-notebook-cole-caufield-refreshed-after-a-trip-to-wisconsin

I think Armia has take a long tome to recover from long-COVID.

7 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Arber is a keeper!!  At some point the Habs will have a decision to make on what defensemen to keep and he is not going anywhere. 

20:22 for Evans, nice pass to Guhle, he is playing well and was 14/21 on faceoffs.

Trading 22yr old Romanov seemed an out of left-field trade, to me anyways; but seems a smart move. 

Interesting collection of young-d for Hughes to work with.

How are Mailloux-Harris-Barron-Kovacevic-Engstrom valued by other GMs i wonder?

53 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don't think this is the longest hot streak of his career.... he's had good full seasons at this level of play before. 

Its the best he's been in a couple years (since the cup run really) though, and the other seasons were pre-pandemic so maybe harder to remember. 

36 minutes ago, DON said:

How are Mailloux-Harris-Barron-Kovacevic-Engstrom valued by other GMs i wonder?

Good question, I think Mailloux has the most value of that group and would get the most in a trade but he also has a lot of value to the Habs with his offensive skills. I think Engstrom is the sleeper of that group but obviously 1 or 2 of those guys will be gone at some point. Guhle, Arber and Reinbacher are likely the keepers and we need to find out if Hutson's skills are translatable to the NHL. I can see Barron being moved as I just don't think his defensive skills are good enough but his offensive skills might interest some teams. 

This is dangerous times to be our gm.

If the D he trades becomes good top4 players while the ones he keeps kinda busts... Oh man

48 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

If the D he trades becomes good top4 players while the ones he keeps kinda busts... Oh man

That is a risk but it comes with the territory of being a GM and some defensemen will get traded (I am betting this summer) if Hughes can come up with some sort of package deal to improve the top 6 forward group. 

1 hour ago, Dalhabs said:

This is dangerous times to be our gm.

Yep. He's entering into a new phase of the rebuild in that sense. So far he has been about adding young assets and picks and creating a sound developmental structure. This next step will be a major part of where he builds his legacy or sullies it. Both Gainey (Beauchemin, Ribeiro, MacDonagh, Streit) and MB (Sergachev) made grave errors in moving out prospects/young players, with serious repercussions for their entire tenure. Hughes has done well so far, and now comes this next test.

If he makes the right moves in this phase, we should be a playoff team within at most two years. The he will face the final phase - i.e., seeing if he can actually build a winner.