Finns

alexstream

With Captain Finland on the habs, I'm surprised that we didn't went out to get some marquee Finn players. They almost all have the greatest hard working attitude, and a hard nosed two way style of play, contrarily to some other countries (no racism / nationalism intended).

Our only lame attempts were under Houle with Lind and Whitehall...

I know that Dallas is starting to pile 'em up, Chicago seems to have followed the trend...

Should we go get some too (before there are none left) or we should just go after any player, no matter where he's from? (keep in mind that it'd have to fill a hole in our lineup)

e.g. Hamrlik vs Niinima

Lehtinen vs (well no one is similar to Lehtinen :mellow: )

Selanne vs Kariya...

It's a "fantasy" question, since there are not many Finns on the trade market... The worst answer you can give me is hat So and So is not for trade...

The reworded question would be : at equal talent, should we go with a Finn next time? just to do a "surprise" to Saku...

Lehtinen would be awesome. Never forget he is a former Selke winner. He makes $3,572,000.00. That's this years' numbers. Not sure about his contract status. He is also in Dallas. I wonder if Gainey has anymore UOI's left from that club ( :lol: )

2002-03 NHL - Frank J. Selke Trophy (Best Defensive Forward)

1998-99 NHL - Frank J. Selke Trophy (Best Defensive Forward)

1997-98 NHL - Frank J. Selke Trophy (Best Defensive Forward)

Selanne is getting 1 million which makes him attainable IMO.

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

With Captain Finland on the habs, I'm surprised that we didn't went out to get some marquee Finn players. They almost all have the greatest hard working attitude, and a hard nosed two way style of play, contrarily to some other countries (no racism / nationalism intended).

Our only lame attempts were under Houle with Lind and Whitehall...

I know that Dallas is starting to pile 'em up, Chicago seems to have followed the trend...

Should we go get some too (before there are none left) or we should just go after any player, no matter where he's from? (keep in mind that it'd have to fill a hole in our lineup)

e.g. Hamrlik vs Niinima

Lehtinen vs (well no one is similar to Lehtinen :mellow: )

Selanne vs Kariya...

It's a "fantasy" question, since there are not many Finns on the trade market... The worst answer you can give me is hat So and So is not for trade...

The reworded question would be : at equal talent, should we go with a Finn next time? just to do a "surprise" to Saku...

Witehall is swedish and not finnish :P

Lehtinen would be awesome. Never forget he is a former Selke winner. He makes $3,572,000.00. That's this years' numbers. Not sure about his contract status. He is also in Dallas. I wonder if Gainey has anymore UOI's left from that club ( :lol: )

2002-03 NHL - Frank J. Selke Trophy (Best Defensive Forward)

1998-99 NHL - Frank J. Selke Trophy (Best Defensive Forward)

1997-98 NHL - Frank J. Selke Trophy (Best Defensive Forward)

Selanne is getting 1 million which makes him attainable IMO.

I tried googling his contract status and I found that he is signed until the end of the 2006-07 season. No word on financial terms however. Anyways, here's the link: http://www.allsports.com/cgi-bin/showstory...?story_id=44182

I don't care if they Finnish. Swedish, Canadian, Swiss, German, Russian, Latvian, American, Belorussian, Slovakian, Czech, Austrian, Lithuanian, or Danish as long as they are a good fit for the hockey team.

Just because one team is having a good Olympics, doesn't mean you should target that one nationality of players.

Besides when all is said and done, Canada will have jelled and kicked some serious ass!!!!!!!!

Any team getting a perfect record in pre-eliminatory round is bound to seduce by

the inherent cohesiveness demonstrated in their play.......a must....to win four in a row.

This question of balance and identity in the NHL can be obtain by the proper selection

of players from different nations....yet any teams that need a quick identity fix could do

well in imitating what the Rangers did so successfully this year by gathering a large

portion of players that have originally evolved in the same country.

Since the UFA market is a limited ressource to start with, it would be a fallacy to think that

a team would benefit anything by further limiting himself to the allready small pool of players

avallaible in any given year player in order to fill its specific needs.

If Gainey would have obtain Selanne for the first line, Rolster for the second line and

Laperierre for the third line prior to the beginning of this season......instead of keeping

Zednick, Dagenais and Sundstrom.....this team wouldn't have behaved as dysfonctionally

as it did.......those UFA players would have made this team Click in a big way...........yet, they are all

from a different country........ the first being from Finnland, the second from the States and the

last one from Montreal.

The problem is not how to do it..........but to get it done.

I've heard alot of comments regarding the fact that the finnish style looked alot like north americans. grit, hard work..well, look at koivu, he's the best example.

other than saku, I can't remeber a decent finn in our team

I don't care if they Finnish. Swedish, Canadian, Swiss, German, Russian, Latvian, American, Belorussian, Slovakian, Czech, Austrian, Lithuanian, or Danish as long as they are a good fit for the hockey team.

What do you have against the French? Show Huet some love!

:P

I'm not saying that because they are having olympic successes...

I'm saying that because Markov has Kovalev, Plek, Bulis and Zed are another language clique.

Koivu has no one from his nationality AND anyways, Finns usually kick asses... so it's a two in one acquisition :P

In todays Journal de Montréal, Selane said that Saku as been trying for 3 years to convince him to come to Montreal because they are made to play together, but he prefers the sun and heat of California. Hope that Anaheim is not interested in resigning him this summer so he will have no choice to go somewhere else then California....say Montreal.

Selanne - Koivu - Ryder

Perezhogin - ? - Kovalev (Ribs as to go)

We would have 2 nice first lines this way.

I would love to get Selanne or Lehtinen. But how?

So, let's examine who is movable and who isn't.

IMO: Touchable: Locke, Dagenais, Ribeiro, Bulis, Sundstrom, Zednik, Grabovsky, Aubin & D'Agostini - also 2006 or 2007 picks. (If Bob mentioned half of these names on the phone with Burke, he'd probably ask Bob where he gets his bomb weed)

UnTouchable: Koivu, Kovalev, Ryder, Plekanec, Higgins, Perezhogin, Bégin, A. & S. Kostitsyn, Latendresse, Chipchura & Price.

No tradable worth: Bonk, Downey & Murray.

The problem is all the touchable players have about as much worth as a pylon right now except for Bulis who I would hate to see go.

Anyway, I'm at a loss to see how we can get Selanne. Brian Burke isn't going to want Locke, Dagenais, Ribeiro, Bulis, Sundstrom or Zednik only. So, what do you if you were Gainey?

The only solution will hurt. That is, pick a "touchable" to get the return desired.

Is it worth it? I don't think so. Why make a sideways move for a potential UFA to make a playoff run that will get us...well, no cup?

So, it'd better turn out to be another Kovalev scenario. We MUST be able to lock up a "Selanne" or a "Lehtinen" long term - IMO

So, let's keep DREAMING.

Maybe Gainey will surprise us.

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Selanne is a UFA Athletique Canadien so trading a big name player or prospect for him unless he is under a long-term contract is completely ridiculous, and even then Selanne is not a young guy I would be weary of giving him anything more than a two-year deal.

Ruutu would be amazing if he can stay healthy for a long period of time he will become a spectacular player, anyone who has had the privilege of watching him play is well aware of his worth.

So, it'd better turn out to be another Kovalev scenario. We MUST be able to lock up a "Selanne" or a "Lehtinen" long term - IMO

So, let's keep DREAMING.

Maybe Gainey will surprise us.

Precisely Kovalev we got for a Player in the AHL

Why would we need to give up more than that for Selanne?