Dandenault

Nilan25

As I said often before, when a guy is mostly known for his versatility, and when his previous team used him somtimes as a defenseman, sometimes as a forward, then he's not that good. If he was a good defenseman, he would have played defense; if he was a good forward he would have offense. You didn't see Jacques Lemaire use Scott Stevens as a forward, and Mario Lemieux has never played defense during his career.

The guy I really wanted Gainey to sign last summer was Roman Hamrlik, not Dandeneault. Mathieu Schneider would have been a great pickup too, not Dandeneault.

dandenault could be used as a trade bait for a stronger D-man.

hasn't impressed me thus far this year

dandenault could be used as a trade bait for a stronger D-man.

hasn't impressed me thus far this year

between his contract and his performance, I don't really see how he is that tradeable.

As I said often before, when a guy is mostly known for his versatility, and when his previous team used him somtimes as a defenseman, sometimes as a forward, then he's not that good. If he was a good defenseman, he would have played defense; if he was a good forward he would have offense. You didn't see Jacques Lemaire use Scott Stevens as a forward, and Mario Lemieux has never played defense during his career.

The guy I really wanted Gainey to sign last summer was Roman Hamrlik, not Dandeneault. Mathieu Schneider would have been a great pickup too, not Dandeneault.

What about when Bowman would play Fedorov on defence, or Hitchcock play Kapanen?

For the most part you are correct but just because a player has versatility does not mean they are not a great hockey player.

What about when Bowman would play Fedorov on defence, or Hitchcock play Kapanen?

For the most part you are correct but just because a player has versatility does not mean they are not a great hockey player.

I agree, but it's not a good sign. The players yuo mentionned were exception cases: Bowman was trying to shake things up Fedorov (if I remember correctly), and the Flyers were short on defensemen; luckily for them, Kapanen did a fantastic job playing defense. However, in both cases, it was only a temporary situation.

Versatility is Dandeneault biggest asset, which doesn't say much about him. Any idiot in the NHL with the slighest amount of hockey sense can temporarily switch positions.

He has been avoiding the penalty box for quite a while now and the reduce ice time

he is getting in favor of komisarek seems better suited for his level of concentration.

In that respect, alike Bonk, I feel them being up to their new reduced role as imparted by

Gainey nine games ago.....their performances are in line with their reduced responsabilitys..

of course their salary has not change accordingly and this is, what would precluded them

from being moved anytime soon.

The Habs game I've seen this year Dandenault has been OK.

And of course we pay for the versatility. What if no of the rookies had succed? Injuries? I think it's a good thing to have a player who can play at almost every position.

And our defence isn't the best in the leauge and sure Dandy looked better in Detroit but he played with better players. I also think that the new rules has affected him.

But I don't agree he's the worst addition. Radek Bonk wins that battle to me. Big time. I still have hopes that Dandenault will perform better and better. Maybe he will grow in the playoffs?

Bonk on the other hand... I tought he had aquired a Selke candidate that would bring about 15 goals and 30 assists. Boy, was I wrong. He doesn't even use his kilos right.

Yeah Bonk is the worst by far, cut the crap about trading Sundstrom or Dandenault the guy who's been the biggest waste of space has been him no question.

But Dandenault, well nothing could be expected of a guy like him anyway. But the sheer length of his contract makes him immovable. There was a reason the Wings deemed him expendable.

And unfortunately, the Habs thought he could be a top 4 guy, which of course is insane.

Excuse me but BONK has not been a 20 Goal man but his D play has out played even SunnyD and in the post Olympic break Gainey would not even dream of not having him PKing So rethink your choices!

I would part with Bonk but he is not the top candidate to go NOT even CLOSE!!!

Sure Bonk has done zero offensively. But his defensive prowess will make him a valuable asset come playoff time. He will not be traded I will almost 100% guarantee that. Dandy has been far worse in my opinion he has taken countless penalties while the Canadiens were already a man down. But all that said the entire team is playing much better since the Olympic break and I would suspect that Gainey feels the same way, as he is yet to make a trade all season long.

Yeah its too bad Montreal gave him such a big and long contract. It pretty much makes him untradeable.

Hopefully this is just an off year from him and he rebounds with a good playoffs and plays better next year. Or else this was a big mistake by game. This guys eating up $1.75 Million in cap space

None of Dandenault, Bonk, Sundstrom are going anywhere before the deadline.

Yeah, ok I'll agree Bonk can play defensively. But he was expected to actually add an offensive element to the third line, in case anyone forgot. And scoring less goals than the aformentioned Sundstrom is hardly the way to go.

Yeah its too bad Montreal gave him such a big and long contract. It pretty much makes him untradeable.

Hopefully this is just an off year from him and he rebounds with a good playoffs and plays better next year. Or else this was a big mistake by game. This guys eating up $1.75 Million in cap space

I agree, it would have been better if it was a one year or even a two year deal. But what's done is done, we can't do anything about it.

I was watching on and off for the second period and the first hakf of the third (24 was on) but Dandenault was playing great from what I saw. There was one shift early in the game where he kept the puck in the attacking zone with the czecho line (Bulis, Zednik, Plekanec) for a long time. He's also been getting some hard slapshots on goal recently. I think that since the break he's been playing his best hockey of the season (not that he's a star or anything).

I was watching on and off for the second period and the first hakf of the third (24 was on) but Dandenault was playing great from what I saw. There was one shift early in the game where he kept the puck in the attacking zone with the czecho line (Bulis, Zednik, Plekanec) for a long time. He's also been getting some hard slapshots on goal recently. I think that since the break he's been playing his best hockey of the season (not that he's a star or anything).

I agree with BTH. I've liked the way Dandy's been keeping the puck in too. Except for one incredible detroit season Dandy's stats show he's being just as strong as he usually is.

Is there something I'm missing? Is he great come play-off time? Why would Gainey consider him worthy of his contract. I'm hoping we have yet to see it. But what is "IT"

..............can someone answer that. It's not his flexibility because we haven't really used him anywhere but defense pretty much all year

Another case of misplaced expectations. Yes the Habs let Brisebois go (Any other team would've declined that way too expensive option year), but I, for one, never thought Dandenault was brought in to replace him. I always figured him to be a serviceable 5/6 dman, nothing more. When the Habs were rumored to be after him during the season (before they snagged him via free agency) I was actually hoping they didn't acquire him.

Would I keep him for my 3rd pairing? Yup. Would I expect anything more from him than that? Hell no.

I agree with BTH. I've liked the way Dandy's been keeping the puck in too. Except for one incredible detroit season Dandy's stats show he's being just as strong as he usually is.

Is there something I'm missing? Is he great come play-off time? Why would Gainey consider him worthy of his contract. I'm hoping we have yet to see it. But what is "IT"

..............can someone answer that. It's not his flexibility because we haven't really used him anywhere but defense pretty much all year

The problem with some Habs fans is that when the team signs or resigns a player to a larger contract, they place expectations that are unfounded on those players. Theo received his salary because that was the market price for a goalie of his stature at the time. Bitching about his salary after that is crying over spilled milk.

When the team signs UFAs, it isn't always to make a splash on the team, regardless of the salary being played. Dandenault has always been a depth defenseman, a very reliable depth defenseman. And that is exactly why Gainey signed him. It's obviously taken him a while to get used to the new rules and the different Eastern conference play, but in general Dandy has delivered with what Gainey expected.

He's got leadership and dependability.

How exactly does Dandenault has leadership? Simply playing on Cup winning teams doesn't make you a leader, and I've seen nothing from him to suggest he fulfils that here. Guys like Rivet and Souray are the visible leaders of the defense corps.

I think the problem fans have with this (or least myself personally) is why Montreal even bothered to sign Dandenault. There certainly were other options to be had for a third pairing defenseman, and the Habs did not need one at all anyway, considering the seemingly permanent logjam we've had.

How exactly does Dandenault has leadership? Simply playing on Cup winning teams doesn't make you a leader, and I've seen nothing from him to suggest he fulfils that here. Guys like Rivet and Souray are the visible leaders of the defense corps.

I think the problem fans have with this (or least myself personally) is why Montreal even bothered to sign Dandenault. There certainly were other options to be had for a third pairing defenseman, and the Habs did not need one at all anyway, considering the seemingly permanent logjam we've had.

He has playoff experience. That innately has leadership. Souray, Rivet, Markov are the on-ice leaders but I'll bet anything, come playoff time, Dandy will be more vocal in the locker room than Markov (not anything against Markov, but that doesn't seem to be his style). Dandenault has been there, in almost every situation so it will only help having him in the locker room and in pressure situations.

Besides some of his bad penalties, I see nothing less than what should be expected of him..

As for the logjam...what logjam?? We had Streit, an unproven defenseman from Europe who had already failed to make an NHL team and Hainsey who has always dissappointed. That was our top 7 D at that time. I fully expected Gainey to sign a d-man last summer and while it would have been nice to get an Aucoin, or someone of that stature, we didn't have the cap room to do it.

And, finally, what's better for the team's reputation around the league, in attracting future free agents..a young team that has no ties with other players, or a young-old mix with even more players with ties to players.

Dandy might not be a super defenseman, and perhaps the Red WIngs systems covered some of his flaws, but he certainly isn't deserving of any fan questionning the signing.